• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Toughest & most robust bins (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

A good friend who birds hard and a great deal was bemoaning the fact that yet another pair of his newish bins were already showing signs of his heavy (ab)use. The rubber armour was already getting loose & other problems being signalled. I wonder what the experts out there regard as the most solidly built bins with the best abuse proof armour etc. My money would be on Swarovski SLCs or perhaps the Meopta Meostar range which always strike me as being very solid bins.

The Docter 7x40 and 10x40 series are probably the most robust binoculars available, being rebadged military glass. The NVA acceptance tests for their EDF ancestor were severe.
Downsides are that these are IF and not phase coated.

Maybe your friend should instead consider inexpensive porro options such as the Nikon AX. If his fieldcraft repeatedly beats the optics to a pulp, that might be a more effective course of action.

Some Fujinon binoculars are made to military specs for impact etc.

The Conquest HD did well, but maybe not the rubber?

I suppose military binoculars might be best.

The toughest roofs I've ever used were the Leica Trinovid BA, Meopta Meostar HD, and the Leupold Gold Ring HD. These are all robust, built like a tank, and have some heft.

The Docter 7x40 and 10x40 series are probably the most robust binoculars available, being rebadged military glass. The NVA acceptance tests for their EDF ancestor were severe.
Downsides are that these are IF and not phase coated.

Maybe your friend should instead consider inexpensive porro options such as the Nikon AX. If his fieldcraft repeatedly beats the optics to a pulp, that might be a more effective course of action.

His fieldcraft is superb, he just does a lot more of it and in tougher conditions than most!

Hi,

my money is on the NVA EDF7x40 - being run over by an NATO tank was part of the design specs
The 7x version should also be acceptable w/o phase coating if you can live with a smallish FOV and a strong yellow tint.

Joachim

Hi,

my money is on the NVA EDF7x40 - being run over by an NATO tank was part of the design specs
The 7x version should also be acceptable w/o phase coating if you can live with a smallish FOV and a strong yellow tint.

Joachim

I didn't make myself clear as I should have said the toughest binoculars that are also practical birding bins which, I suggest, rules out IF glasses, those with restricted FOV or strong colour tints.

I know at least one gentleman birding with an EDF7x40. The IF is not much of a problem at 7x, the field is 7.5 deg which is not wide but not terrible. The tint is severe though, although the later Docter version is supposed to be better.

Joachim

Last edited:
His fieldcraft is superb, he just does a lot more of it and in tougher conditions than most!

Apologies, not meaning to impugn his skills in any way.
However, for his circumstances, maybe just accept that damage will happen. Hence the idea of a more sacrificial unit.

I think you were on the right track with the Swaro SLC, particularly the 8x42 or, even better, the original <8x42 SLC HD>. Given Swarovski's great reputation for no-cost repair/refurbish, they're hard to beat.

Ed

From what I read the Swaro 8x30 with the front focus. However 8x30 format I personally think is a bad idea. They should have kept in production the 7x30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from the above, Steiner produces tough bins. The Vortex Viper and single-hinged Razor are quite well regarded by hunters who are rough on their gear.

Hi,

To me, four serious candidates, plus their very good and superb optics, respectively, are: Trinovid BA series, Zeiss Victory FL series, Zeiss Victory HT Series and the Swarovski Habicht W but the GA version. I had one of the Habicht, but made in the '70s, wich in his "life" suffered some tortures of all kinds. And, after 10 years of really hard use, without any leather like cover, was in "perfect" optical and mechanical shape, still collimated as new and all the movements and regulation still tight. I cannot ask for more to a binocular.
I have seen the video about the torture test on the Zeiss Conquest HD and is really amazing....!
PHA

Last edited:
I know at least one gentleman birding with an EDF7x40. The IF is not much of a problem at 7x, the field is 7.5 deg which is not wide but not terrible. The tint is severe though, although the later Docter version is supposed to be better.

The Docter version is better. No obvious tint anymore. However, I doubt IF binoculars are really suitable for hardcore birding. Try using a pair at a coastal migration site, e.g. on Helgoland ... :king:

Hermann

Last edited:
Hi,

To me, four serious candidates, plus their very good and superb optics, respectively, are: Trinovid BA series, Zeiss Victory FL series, Zeiss Victory HT Series and the Swarovski Habicht W but the GA version. I had one of the Habicht, but made in the '70s, wich in his "life" suffered some tortures of all kinds. And, after 10 years of really hard use, without any leather like cover, was in "perfect" optical and mechanical shape, still collimated as new and all the movements and regulation still tight. I cannot ask for more to a binocular.
I have seen the video about the torture test on the Zeiss Conquest HD and is really amazing....!
PHA
This I assume ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qri4RuT7Bk - I couldn't watch it without wincing!

To me, four serious candidates, plus their very good and superb optics, respectively, are: Trinovid BA series, Zeiss Victory FL series, Zeiss Victory HT Series and the Swarovski Habicht W but the GA version.

Agreed, especially on the Leica Trinovid BA/BN series and the Habicht GA. They're built for *very* heavy use. The newer Ultravids seem to suffer more, mainly because of the softer armour. The Victory FL is close IMO, but as far as the HT is concerned I'd like to see more heavily used pairs to be sure. Can't comment on the Meoptas because I don't know them well enough. And I don't see many in the field at all.

What's clear though is that many modern roofs with their soft armour won't really look very nice after a few years of heavy use. Plus I don't think the focusers of many roofs are as reliable as they used to be. I've heard of too many defects for my liking.

Hermann

Last edited:
The Docter version is better. No obvious tint anymore. However, I doubt IF binoculars are really suitable for hardcore birding. Try using a pair at a coastal migration site, e.g. on Helgoland ... :king:

Hermann

Hm, I don't have the EDF or their Docter successor at hand but my experience with 7x bins (soviet ZOMZ 7x50 and Fujinon M22 - the latter are IF) is that the depth of field is so huge, that I don't need to change focus from 20m on to infinity - this will probably change for the worse on the road from forty-something to sixty-something...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back