• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Toughest & most robust bins (1 Viewer)

Hm, I don't have the EDF or their Docter successor at hand but my experience with 7x bins (soviet ZOMZ 7x50 and Fujinon M22 - the latter are IF) is that the depth of field is so huge, that I don't need to change focus from 20m on to infinity ...

The trouble is that you need a range of something like 3m to infinity at such sites. And you need to be able to focus quickly from infinity to below 10m and back all the time.

Hermann

i seem to remember Allbinos doing a ruggedness test, and the Zeiss FLs coming out on top. Can't remember what the other contenders were, but i guess it's still available via their website.

Having quickly re- read the summary, seems like the suggestions of Leica and Docter might be at odds with the Allbinos results. However, this was 2013, and things can change.....

Having quickly re- read the summary, seems like the suggestions of Leica and Docter might be at odds with the Allbinos results. However, this was 2013, and things can change.....

The Docter tested was the ED model, not the much more robust (and IF) model EDF.
Both Leica models had trouble with waterproofing, as a long time happy buyer I'd view that as outliers.

Here is another YouTube video torture test. This time the victim is an 8X42 offered by Optic-Logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkm9Zy3m9g4

Here is their product website, but it does not offer much in detail other than product photos, price and brief product comments. The YouTube video title says Mil Specs yet it is not mentioned on the web page. The weight figures may be total content of the box because it is so high.

http://www.opti-logic.com/product-category/binoculars/

I do not recall reading about Optic-Logic. They are based in the state of Tennessee, USA and their main interest appears to be range finders made here in the US. There is no specific info on the origin of the binoculars.

Hi Bruce,
I think that the Conquest HD test was much tougher.

The weight of 670gms? is not high for 8x42.

If someone wants something tested to destruction my nephew when younger was able to destroy anything.
I think giving things to young boys is the way to really test things.

I am wondering what he does to wear out the rubber armour in this way.

I do a lot of laying down on substrates from sea-shore rocks to jagged limestone to peat bogs when I am taking macro photos of inter-tidal marine life and flowers in the Languedoc and Scotland and my bins are often underneath me even though I try to remember to put them inside my jacket or take them off. Often I cannot waste time doing this due to the changing light or movement of an underwater creature. I wipe them clean every day and none of my bins show any marks despite this abuse and despite them sometimes coming into contact with sheep or bird droppings too.

In addition, when climbing over rocks on the shore to get to a photo site or clambering over sharp limestone in France to do the same, my bins will contact the rocky surfaces from time to time and like I said they don't show any marks.

As to the armour on his bins coming loose, you wouldn't expect this with normal use (whatever that is) but as has been pointed out on here before, the armour is designed to be a removable component to allow servicing and repairs.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back