• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a pair of pocket binoculars (1 Viewer)

Bloodstriker

I'm looking to purchase a pair of pocket binoculars - something I can easily fold and put in my jacket pocket, or the glove compartment of my car.

Are the Leica Compact Ultravids still the king of this category?

What is the best compact binocular (looking for 8-10x mag) out there regardless of price?

What is the best bang-for-your-buck compact bino right now?

To answer your questions in the order posted:
1. In the 20mm category - yes. In the 25mm category, the Swarovski CL-Pocket is the best.

2. The Swarovski CL-P.

3. The Nikon HG. Excellent build and optical quality, for less money than the Swaro's. Of course, it is always possible to find a Ultravid or Zeiss Victory on sale somewhere. A $379 Leica UV such as the one I purchased new from Midway last year would be a very good buy for the money.

Among 8x20s the Nikon HG (also called Premier in the US) is said by a few reviewers to be optically as good as the Leica Ultravid or even slightly better (see http://scopeviews.co.uk/BinoReviews.htm). It has a wider field of view, is about 30 grams heavier, and has the focus knob at the front (objective side) end.

I wouldn't class either the Nikon HGs or the Ultravid as a "pocket binocular", and certainly none of the 25mms. Now that the Zeiss 20mm Conquest is no more the only thing that is truly pocketable is the 20mm Trinovid, unless you have giant pockets.

I wouldn't class either the Nikon HGs or the Ultravid as a "pocket binocular", and certainly none of the 25mms. Now that the Zeiss 20mm Conquest is no more the only thing that is truly pocketable is the 20mm Trinovid, unless you have giant pockets.

You must have very small jackets, since it seems you have very small pockets. That is probably a good thing -- you probably spend less money on your jackets than I do.

To the OP: I guess it depends on how big your jacket pockets are, but I can tell you that all of the binos mentioned above will fit quite easily in my jacket pockets, and will therefore most likely meet your stated requirements.

All of the above should fit into most men's jacket pockets including the pockets of most men's wool or cotton flannel shirt/jackets.

If you wear a man's small or medium size shirt/jacket there could be some problems with 25mm binoculars. My son has no problem carrying his Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED in his large size Filson shirt pockets.

Bob

People have their preferrences, but I have tried a lot of compacts, I sold my Leica compact and bought the Swarovski CL pocket 8x25 and personally I am convinced it is by far the best small binocular you can get, for me much better than the Leica. Next to this, I would have the Nikon HG 8X20 in second, it's a tad lighter than the Swaro, but both are a little heavier than the Leica or Zeiss, not a bother for me, I find it insignificant, and the Swaro is an ideal pocket binocular for my purposes.

I had the 8x20 leica ultravid, and looked through the 8x20 Zeiss victory.
I found both excellent, but liked the ergonomic of the victory better. It felt very non-compact for a compact binocular, because of the asymmetric placement of the hinge and focus know (you can use it with one hand).
The ultravid is very nice, but like all binoculars with a double hinge, I found them a bit 'slower' to set up the inter pupil distance, before having a nice view.
I still have to try the Nikon.

You've got to be kidding. The Zeiss 8x20 Conquest was small enough for you but the Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL (no rubber armor) isn't? I find the difference in size and weight trivial, but the optics, focus ease, and strap+hang of the Ultravid much better.

--AP

I had the 8x20 leica ultravid, and looked through the 8x20 Zeiss victory.
I found both excellent, but liked the ergonomic of the victory better. It felt very non-compact for a compact binocular, because of the asymmetric placement of the hinge and focus know (you can use it with one hand).
The ultravid is very nice, but like all binoculars with a double hinge, I found them a bit 'slower' to set up the inter pupil distance, before having a nice view...

I have both, like both, but find the Ultravid better. Yes, it is double hinge, but since it has positive stops you can just open one side all the way and then do all interpupillary adjustment with the other side. I find the Ultravid just as fast to set up that way as the Zeiss. Doing so achieves the same asymmetrical feel as the Zeiss (with the benefit that it can be done to accommodate either left or right hand, unlike the Zeiss which is biased for right hand), and places the comparatively big focus knob under the preferred finger for rapid focus.

For images, see this post:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2439175&highlight=solidarity+clasp#post2439175

--AP

I have the Leica Ultravid 8x20, the Nikon HG (or LXL or whatever they are calling it this week) 8x20 and the Zeiss Victory 8x20.
All three are great optically, all three have different ergonomics and all three fit in shirt pockets, pants pockets and jacket pockets.
I prefer the ergonomics of the Leica and Zeiss to the Nikon but believe the Nikons are a great deal and would use them happily if I did not have the Leica or Zeiss.
As gifts I have given friends the Nikon 10x25's, which they are very happy with.
The Kowa BD 8x25 is a very nice glass for the money, not as compact as the Leica, Nikon or Zeiss though.
Haven't tried the Swarovski 8x25's since I prefer the 8x20's since they fit much better in my pockets.
In the 8x20's the high end optics seem to be very close if not identical, for me the ergonomics make the difference.
Just my personal observations, YMMV.
Art

Take a look at zeiss's new terra 8x25. They are made in Japan. I have them, the Leica and the Swarovski 8x25. Can't fault any of the three.

Thanks for all the info here. Very helpful. I am now considering the Zeiss Terra or Nikon HG-L.
Probably the Nikon is a bit sturdier, but I can't seem to find anything wrong with the Zeiss. Both have approx. the same price (Zeiss slightly cheaper).
Which one to buy...?

Wow! Thank you for all the input. Now I need to visit a few stores to take a look. So far I've only been able to find the Swarovski and I'm quite impressed.

Back in 2011, I was in New York and took the opportunity to go to BH and compare 8 x 20 compacts.

I own a pair of Nikon 8x20 HGL (LX) and wanted to compare against Swaro, Zeiss Victory and Leica Ultravid.

I came away very pleased that there is very little difference optically between the brands and I had no desire whatsoever to change my Nikons.

The only difference that I noticed was slightly different colour bias between the brands.

In my opinion ergonomics is a major key factor between these.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back