• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best birding model bino (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I know there are tastes for everything, but I really would like to know what the binocular model more adapted for birdwatching .: 8x30 / 32 - 8x40 / 42 - 10x42 ... maybe the balance between magnification and aperture, and weight ..
regards
wachi

The problem with your question is that "birding" means different things to different people. If you spend hours at a time walking in open countryside looking for birds, a smaller, lighter 32mm would be better. If you are gazing across mudflats from the comfort of a hide then you need 10x or even more. There are as many answers to the optimum specification as there are different birding situations.

Plus lots of birders will have different bins for different occasions. If I am going to my local reserve, I take a 8x36, not as cumbersome as a 42 but better than a 32. If I am walking in the hills I take a 8x20, if I am going for a walk in the woods 6.5x32. There is no perfect or indeed optimum choice.

Everything Mono has said above is true but I think if you went by the numbers 8x42 centre-focus (not individual focus) would be the format most used by birders. I can understand why that might be, as the format is quite versatile, though I tend not to use it all that much. As Mono said, different format bins might be preferred for different styles of birding - and that's before you add in personal preferences and individual quirks.

...Mike

Everything Mono has said above is true but I think if you went by the numbers 8x42 centre-focus (not individual focus) would be the format most used by birders.

...Mike

I would agree that the 8x42 CF is the best all around for birding;
but the 8x32 is lighter, if low light viewing is not an issue;
and 10x is better for distant birding (shorebirds and raptors)

edj

I would agree that the 8x42 CF is the best all around for birding;
but the 8x32 is lighter, if low light viewing is not an issue;
and 10x is better for distant birding (shorebirds and raptors)

edj
After using a 9x45 I think it is a better compromise than either the 8x42 or 10x42. A lot more reach than the 8x but you can still hold it steadier than the 10x.

I do a lot of game spotting in addition to bird watching so if I could have only one binocular it would be a 10X42. However, if I had to recommend just one binocular for bird watching to someone unclear about their viewing objectives, then I will go with the majority of the posts here and say a roof 8X42 with a FOV of 400 ft (133 M) or more. If money was not an issue, my choice for best birding binocular would be the Zeiss SF 8X42 because of the balance, superb optics, extra wide FOV (444 ft @ 1,000 yds) and handling.

The 9X45 is a nice compromise between the 8X and 10X but it does move into the bulky side and is getting heavy (over 33 oz (942 grams) for Dennis's Maven B2).

Last edited:
I do a lot of game spotting in addition to bird watching so if I could have only one binocular it would be a 10X42. However, if I had to recommend just one binocular for bird watching to someone unclear about their viewing objectives, then I will go with the majority of the posts here and say a roof 8X42 with a FOV of 400 ft (133 M) or more. If money was not an issue, my choice for best birding binocular would be the Zeiss SF 8X42 because of the balance, superb optics, extra wide FOV and handling.

The 9X45 is a nice compromise between the 8X and 10X but it does move into the bulky side and is getting heavy (over 33 oz (942 grams) for Dennis's Maven B2).
You would be surprised how easy the Maven B.2 9x45 handles. It has excellent balance and it really doesn't feel like 33 oz. Sometimes I can hold 10x and sometimes I can't(Depends on what I did the night before).B :) I like the Canon 10x42 IS-L the best for 10x. It keeps the shakes down.

An alpha 7x42 with an 8º FOV or more, like the Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL which I use, is the best all-around birding binocular. Superb for close in birding in dense foliage with its great DOF. Excellent for mid-range birding. And excellent for Hawk Watching during migration season.

It is highly recommended for the last pursuit by Jerry Liguori in his two books: HAWKS From Every Angle and HAWKS At A Distance. He used 7x because he "preferred a wide field of view." He used Zeiss 7x45 Night Owls from 1994 to 2008 when he switched to a Zeiss 7x42 Victory.

Bob

My go to binoculars for most birding and other wildlife observation is the Nikon 8x30 EII. The 30mm objectives are close to the body and keep weight light while delivering first class images.

An alpha 7x42 with an 8º FOV or more, like the Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL which I use, is the best all-around birding binocular. .....

Bob

Bob .... You may be shorting yourself. The B & H web site shows and angle of view of 8.6 degrees and 451 ft at 1,000 yards for the Zeiss 7X42 FL. That compares to the 8 degrees and 420 ft of the Nikon EDG 7X42 and Leica Ultravid series 7X42 (going by memory on the Leica).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480750-USA/Zeiss_52_45_50_7x42_Victory_T_FL.html

The Zeiss is one that I have read so many good comments, but have never seen one. It would be fun to compare the wide field Zeiss FL 7X with the conventional view to the Nikon 7X with the flat field. I understand you preference for the 7X since you most likely have more dense growth in your part of the country than I do. As I recall, you state neighbor, Frank D also has a high regard for the 7X FL.

It would be fun to compare the wide field Zeiss FL 7X with the conventional view to the Nikon 7X with the flat field.

Yes, it is fun to compare them. I think the Zeiss 7x42BGAT, the Zeiss 7x42TFL, the Nikon EDG 7x42, and the Leica 7x42 UVHD+ are all superb binoculars. The two Zeiss have the widest field of view, with some field curvature, some pincushion distortion, and some softness at the edge. The Nikon has a slightly narrower field but is flat and sharp all the way out. The Leica shows some distortion and some field curvature, but for my money its overall quality of view is the best of the bunch. Just my opinion, of course.

Yep, favorite all time view through a binocular (7x42 FL)

...until "they" come out with one with the same specs and a field flattener.

;)

Last edited:
Bob .... You may be shorting yourself. The B & H web site shows and angle of view of 8.6 degrees and 451 ft at 1,000 yards for the Zeiss 7X42 FL. That compares to the 8 degrees and 420 ft of the Nikon EDG 7X42 and Leica Ultravid series 7X42 (going by memory on the Leica).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480750-USA/Zeiss_52_45_50_7x42_Victory_T_FL.html

The Zeiss is one that I have read so many good comments, but have never seen one. It would be fun to compare the wide field Zeiss FL 7X with the conventional view to the Nikon 7X with the flat field. I understand you preference for the 7X since you most likely have more dense growth in your part of the country than I do. As I recall, you state neighbor, Frank D also has a high regard for the 7X FL.

Hi Bruce,

Yes, I know about the wider angle of view that the Zeiss 7x FL has. I was just to lazy to spell it out.;) Note that my first sentence is "An alpha 7x42 with a FOV of 8º or more, ....... ."

I also recall Frank writing about how the 7x42 FL impressed him.

I got mine, a black 7x42 T*FL LotuTech, as a discontinued new item from Eagle Optics for $1599.99.

It arrived on 12/31/2012 and I promptly set it up for use but it was dark and cloudy when the Fedex truck pulled up.

I saw my first bird with it, which was also my first bird of 2013, at 8:00 AM the next morning on New Years day 01/01/2013 when I looked out my living room window and across the street. There was a Red-tailed Hawk perched at the top of one of my neighbors trees. I didn't need a wide angle for it and it looked great!

Bob

Last edited:
I find 8x32, 10x42, and 7x42 all perfect for different uses. Anything heavier than an x42 becomes burdensome on longer excursions, an 8x32 is a perfect all arounder, 7x42 works well in dim lighting conditions, and 10x is ideal for certain types of birding (e.g. open spaces, shorebirds, and waterfowl). Lately I pretty much only use the 10x42, with an 8x32 stashed in my work truck's glovebox for incidental birding opportunities.

It arrived on 12/31/2012 and I promptly set it up for use but it was dark and cloudy when the Fedex truck pulled up.

I saw my first bird with it, which was also my first bird of 2013, at 8:00 AM the next morning on New Years day 01/01/2013 at 8:00 AM when I looked out my living room window and across the street. There was a Red-tailed Hawk perched at the top of one of my neighbors trees. I didn't need a wide angle for it and it looked great!

Bob

Hey Bob,

It's a bit of a co-inky with my 7x42 Leica arriving first week of Jan 2016. I remember my first bird was a Black Vulture which I saw at a local park. I can't recall first birds with my other binoculars, but I guess when you get a special one you remember these things. It was a nice way to start a new year.

Well, we all have our individual preferences, but I stick by my contention that, judging by the numbers in use, the 8x42 format (or 8.5x42 for the Swaro fans) would be the one most frequently used by birders.

But if we are talking personal preferences I'll note that I favour 8x32 most of the time, with my personal favourite bins being Zeiss 8x32 FLs. However, when primarily interested in photography rather than observation I use Maven 6x30s in preference; and when using a tripod for longer-range observation I often use 10x56 FLs, with and without 3x magnifier, or occasionally a cheap Bresser scope.

I'm sure the range of opinions (and number of different binoculars!) of folks around here is rather larger and wider than most birders would be bothered with.

...Mike

You would be surprised how easy the Maven B.2 9x45 handles. It has excellent balance and it really doesn't feel like 33 oz. Sometimes I can hold 10x and sometimes I can't(Depends on what I did the night before).B :)B :) I like the Canon 10x42 IS-L the best for 10x. It keeps the shakes down.

Dennis:

I agree, sometimes 10X is a little more than you want or need,
but often the extra is very nice.

I see, you are selling the 10x50 SV. B :)

Jerry

10x42 is the most frequented in Western Europe (I reckon 70-80% of hardcore birdwatchers)
8x42, 7x32, 10x32, 10x50 all have a small share. 7x42 almost non-existing.

Loads of people carrying a big telescope all the time. So no need to have e.g. a higher magnification (12x, 15x) bino.

Interesting responses, thank you for it !!
I find it very curious Temmie response, really you could say that there is a particular model of binocular most used depending on the geographical area ??
"The most frequented is ..10x42 in Western Europe (I reckon 70-80% of hardcore birdwatchers)
8x42, 7x32, 10x32, 10x50 All have a small share. 7x42 almost non-existing. "Why ??
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back