• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SPEYSIDE 22-29 October 2005 (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

We were based in Boat of Garten in a cottage with our family - 6 of us in total.

Sunday 23rd
First full day. Always a lazy day after the drive north so we explored our favourite places beginning with Loch Garten. Walked from the car park there through the woods to Loch Mallachie. Lots of goldcrest in the trees and had a megatick - a well-known wildlife photographer who was leading a party there. Wasn't sure he was who I thought he was so I asked him! On the loop back into the woods from the loch we had sightings of crested tit in the trees above us. They were with more goldcrest. (I do so love these forests with the heather and bilberry underneath the trees). Then we drove up onto Tulloch Moor where we had lots of fieldfare and redwing in the fields. At 6.00pm that evening we met the 'badger man' in the carpark of The Boat and he took us to the hide where we sat quietly for over half an hour waiting for something to appear. We weren't disappointed - had 3 badgers at the same time snuffling about for the peanuts that had been put down in front of the hide. Watched them for 20 mins. or so.

Monday 24th
Up early to drive north. Our destination was Applecross via the Pass of the Cattle. Parked at the viewpoint carpark and walked to where we'd seen ptarmigan very briefly last year. Today the weather was good - dry but windy with good visibility. We'd been walking upwards for some time when my son and his daughter, who were ahead of us, pointed down into the grass & rocks and there were 8 or 9 ptarmigan! They were almost in their winter plumage - white with brown blotches and were oblivious to us watching them. They gradually moved away as a group into a dip and up the other side where we continued watching them. Took some photos of the distant mountains with my new digital camera and made our way back to the car and the other two who hadn't come with us. We would have been satisfield to see the birds at a distance but this sighting was more than we had hoped for.

We continued on our way down to Applecross for coffee and butties. Watched eider ducks, turnstone, a pair of red-breasted mergansers and a dipper in the stream that flowed into the loch/sea. As we made our way back over the pass we saw a stonechat on the fence at the bottom. Oystercatchers and curlew were on the mud. On rejoining the road, near Loch Carron, the others in our party caught sight of a wildcat disappearing into undergrowth at the side of the road. They had no doubt what it was.

25th October
Black Isle. First stop was Munlochy Bay - low tide. Lots of wigeon and curlew. Then to Chanonry Point. The weather was fine and dry. Almost immediately we caught sight of two or three dolphins rounding the point, travelling towards the shore. A few razorbills and a couple of guillemots were bobbing about on the sea. On the return journey we had a quick view of a red kite over fields. Drove down Findhorn Valley in a very heavy shower but we could see blue skies down the valley. Not many birds about at this stage. Saw wild goats and red deer on the hillside. Then spied a golden eagle being mobbed by buzzards and it was soon chased over the horizon. Then a peregrine appeared and we watched it land on a rock on the hillside opposite.

26th October
Drove towards Grantown-on-Spey first thing. Looked for capercaillie where we'd seen them last year but none showed. Then back to Tulloch Moor and then up to the ski-lift car park. Returning, we walked again to Loch Mallarchie where again we heard numerous goldcrests and wondered at the huge wood ant mounds. Some idiots had pushed sticks into one and this seemed to be redundant. Wonder if they just move home if their nest is damaged beyond repair?

Then to Kingussie Wildlife Park - looked in on the capercaillie in case that's the only one we see this week!

27th October
A warm sunny day. Drove north again. Had red kite and a possible female hen harrier near Tomatin over the fields. Over the Kessock Bridge and to Loch Fleet via Lairg and Bonar Bridge. Good views on the way of a buzzard just hanging in the sky; a peregrine; then a merlin harassing a buzzard. At Loch Fleet we had wigeon again, curlew and gulls. Seals were hauled out onto the sandbank. Some years ago we had two otters out in the loch from where we were watching today - so we always live in hope!

Continued onto Embo and walked through the caravan park to the pier. Watched a raft of about 2 dozen long-tailed ducks - with difficulty at times as they kept swimming in and out of the sun's reflection on the water, or diving in unison. Then a small bird landed in front of us in the dunes. Thinking it was a linnet we looked and saw that it was a beautiful male snow bunting. Watched it as it hopped around the dunes eating grass seeds then onto the rocks on the edge of the sea. Flew off as someone walked very close to it but soon returned. (We brought it to the guy's attention but he didn't seem interested.) A rock pipit was nearby.

On our way back on the A9 we stopped at layby 151 to see if ring ouzel were around. Not sure whether they would still be there at this time of year. Just saw a stonechat.

We drove straight to Loch Garten then because we wanted to watch the greylag geese coming into roost. Waited about 40 mins. before the first three arrived; then 20; then loose skeins of 100 or more. The sound they made as they came over our heads was amazing. Truly one of the great spectacles of nature. We reckoned there were hundreds and hundreds. Our son was amused when they sort of 'cartwheeled' down into the water at the far end of the loch as they lost height and stalled. After about 25 mins. they were all down and were chunnering away to each other as they settled for the night. Oh, there were some goldeneye spending the night there too.

(This day was the warmest October day for years, I believe. The hottest place in the UK had been Aultbea on the west coast of Scotland)

28th October
Thought we'd go and look for capercaillie today as time was running out fast. As we drove past the woods we saw two mini-buses belonging to a local wildlife holiday company parked in a gateway so we thought there might be somethng to see! We walked up the track and when we could see the group we veered off so as not to disturb them. (We noted where they were looking, though!) Walked deeper into the woods, with the sound of goldcrests everywhere, and a flock of redwing. Bob saw a female capercaillie fly down from a tree and further into the woods. That was to be our only tick for that bird. When we re-traced our steps we went to stand where the group had been. They'd seemed to be looking out of the woods and we saw a clearing, so we'll pay that more attention on our next visit.

29th October
Long drive home. Another tick for our list was a sparrowhawk dashing across the road in front of the car.

The final tally of birds was round about 70. I won't list them all here. If anyone really wants to know then please ask and I will then.

What a lovely part of Scotland this is. The trees were looking wonderful in their Autumn colours.

Sandra

Thanks for that Sandra, I had an autumn holiday at Gairloch at the north end of Loch Marie quite a few years ago now. I took my parents by car and my wife and kids did the journey by train. The drive down Loch Marie and over Bealach Na Ba to Applecross was truly amazing.
Your report brought back many happy memories and has inspired me to revisit the area specifically for a birding holiday. It sounds like you put some miles, and some long days in on your visit.

Ray

Nice Report

A lovely report Sandra and I am glad you enjoyed the Autumn landscapes as well as some good birds.However if you plan to come back again,I would suggest you come in mid- May,when Strathspey and further north is at its peak for birds.The weather is often good then too and daylight lasts until 10pm.

Hi Sandra

Lovely report - you seem to have enjoyed yourselves.

We did the Pass of the Cattle last year for the first time and stayed the night in Applecross. We hoped to see Ptarmigan either coming or going but the weather turned against us and it was hard to stand upright in the squally showers!

I'll get them one day!

We usually see Red Kite from the hide at Munlochy Bay. Did you know there was another hide at Udale Bay? Usually good in the winter.

D

Thanks for the report Sandra, it brought back some happy memories of the trips we have had to Speyside and the Boat of Garten. We usually go in the Spring so it was nice to read of the different species you saw in the same areas we visited.

Speyside

Yes, Ray. The days didn't seem to be all that long - always back in time for a good meal in the cottage, and we stopped many times for birds. With two cars we had so many more eyes watching out. We did about 1500 miles in the week. That includes mileage from home in West Yorkshire.

Glad you liked the report. My original one is about 3 times the length of that so I had to shorten it of course.

Incidentally, can you tell me how to use the 'bold' key to highlight a word in the text. It doesn't work like typing in Word or whatever.

Sandra

Speyside

Sorry Ben (?!). In mid-May we go to Lesvos. But we love Speyside in mid-late April too. Saw our first capercaillie from the hide at 5.00am (Abernethy Forest RSPB). Then didn't need to get up so early again as we saw one accidentally from the car!

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate that.

Sandra

Speyside

Yes, Delia. We know about Udale Bay but that day something had to give and it was that drive. We always see hoards of wigeon there - such a delight.

As we drove home and were approaching Dunkeld we saw about a dozen whooper swans flying low following a narrow river . It would be about 5 miles north of you on our right hand side.

Glad you enjoyed your week(end) in England.

Sandra
:t:

GH's Birdwatching Sites

Forgot to say in the report that we found Gordon Hamlett's book very interesting and informative. We especially liked the information notes about the areas, not particularly about birds but just the area.

Sandra :clap:

scottish trip

Sandra (Taylor) said:
Forgot to say in the report that we found Gordon Hamlett's book very interesting and informative. We especially liked the information notes about the areas, not particularly about birds but just the area.

Sandra :clap:

Thanks for the plug Sandra. I guessed from your itinerary that you might have been following bits of it. Any feedback, positive or negative very welcome. PM me if necessary.

Cheers

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back