• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

GC Grebe

Great Crested Grebe reached its zenith as a breeding species at Upton in the late 1980s and early 1990s with between two and eight young raised annually during a nine year period. Then in a marked reversal no young were raised at all between 1994 and 2001. Since 2002 small numbers have successfully bred although fledged chicks are always outnumbered by abandoned nests or lost young. In this year for example at least four (possibly five) nests were noted with at least six young hatched but only one fledged. The high mortality rate is probably due to mink predation, a lack of suitably sized fish to feed to small chicks, competition for nest sites (particularly from Coot) and flooding during several recent Springs.

There is little management work that can be undertaken to assist Great Crested Grebes other than ensuring the general healthiness of the pool, the supply of a range of fish sizes and the contol of mink.

Unfortunately it has not been possible to offer any meaningful statistics for Little Grebe given the highly secretive nature of this species when breeding and the traditional late summer influx of juvenile birds which has made its breeding performance hard to ascertain.

Attachments

• GCG.jpg
    GCG.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 74
Looks like Bittel is getting all the birds at the mo - Wood Sand, 2 Knots, Whimbrel, 3 Arctic Terns and 2 Yellow-legged Gulls there today.

With these and further terns (Sandwich and Arctic) and Knots elsewhere in the West Midlands and similar overcast weather forecast tomorrow (with a light SE wind) hopefully something will turn up over the weekend.

Of course with no reports from Upton so far today anything could be lurking there ....

A Greenshank was the star bird for me today. I first picked it up when I was counting the Green Sands at the Flashes at about 1245 and managed to get a very poor record shot of it - the bird took flight when I pressed the shutter. At 1310 it flew off south. Gordon Greaves had also seen one - presumably the same bird - at the Moors Pool just beforehand.

Also at the Flashes were 12 Green Sands, 3 Common Sands, 2 LRPs, 50+ Lapwings, 5 Common Terns (inc 3 juvs), 1 Little Owl, 1 Curlew and a Kingfisher.

At the Moors Pool were 1 Common and 1 Green Sand, 1 Water Rail, 1 Little Grebe and a Peregrine over. I also saw one brood of 3 Tufted ducklings.

Attachments

• greenshank.jpg
    greenshank.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Had a really enjoyable 6 hours at the Moors this morning. Nothing earth-shattering but constant action and some great birding and birder company.
I thought I was in luck when not one but two Little Egrets dropped in, only to find out (from Phil) that five had been seen over the Flashes a few hours earlier. Having looked at these birds while processing I think at least one is a juvenile due to the pale lower mandible. Anyhow, here's some Egret action...

Attachments

• Little Egret 1_resize.jpg
    Little Egret 1_resize.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Little Egret 2.jpg
    Little Egret 2.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Little Egret 3.jpg
    Little Egret 3.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Little Egret 4.jpg
    Little Egret 4.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 71
The Egrets weren't the only species showing well though. Here's a selection of other sightings:
The colour-ringed Common Sandpiper showed well on the nearest island.
Two adult Common Terns fished endlessly all morning.
Fifteen (in all) Greylag Geese made an appearance.
Is there a finer sight than a flock of Lapwing on the wing?
And a family unit of Tufted Duck with seven chicks (one diving) made a brief sojourn into reasonable camera range.

Attachments

• Common Sandpiper 1_resize.jpg
    Common Sandpiper 1_resize.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Common Tern 1_resize.jpg
    Common Tern 1_resize.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Greylag 1_resize.jpg
    Greylag 1_resize.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Lapwing 1_resize.jpg
    Lapwing 1_resize.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Tufted Duck 1_resize.jpg
    Tufted Duck 1_resize.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 76
I was lucky enough to see two Kingfishers fly through as I opened the hide window on arrival. This male came back to tease me in the grim early morning light.
Later a Goldfinch obliged by alighting atop the Willow sapling to the right of the hide.
These fledgling BHGs were constantly harrying their parents to regurgitate morsels.

Attachments

• Kingfisher 1_resize.jpg
    Kingfisher 1_resize.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Goldfinch 1_resize.jpg
    Goldfinch 1_resize.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Kingfisher 2_resize.jpg
    Kingfisher 2_resize.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 79
  • BHG 1_resize.jpg
    BHG 1_resize.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Well having missed every Little Egret sighting this year I made up for it by seeing 7 ! 8-P
Shame it only adds one to my UW year list..is this a Common Hawker ?
998.jpg

996.jpg

995.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday 30th July

Sightings so far today comprise:

FLASHES
15 Green Sand, 3 Common Sand, 2 LRP, 21 Curlew, 1 Teal, 1 Shoveler, 49 Mallard, 2 Little Owl on Hobden Hall Farm chimney (3 reported durung the morning, confirming breeding), 2 Raven on the masts, female Redstart in the hedge to the right of the hide (Spotted Flycatcher also reported in the same area plus 2+ Lessser Whitethroat), 2 Grey Heron, 10 Moorhen, 3 Coot, female Yellow Wagtail briefly, up to 4 adult and 3 juv Common Terns, 2 Little Egrets flew in from the north at 8:20 circled then flew back NNE, 5 Little Egrets flew in from the west at 09:40 circled and then flew off SW, several calling Jays Green and GS Woodpeckers.

MOORS POOL
2 Little Egret flew in at 10:00 and showed from both main hides, 3 Green Sand, 2 Common Sand, 2 Grey Heron, 1 Teal, 3 Shoveler, 15 Greylag Geese, 3 Cormorant, 2 Water Rails reported in front of the concrete hide, 1 LRP earlier, 96 Coot, 2 Little Grebe, 4 adult GC Grebe & 1 young, 130 Mallard, 9 Tufted Duck with 4 broods totalling at least 13 young.

SAILING POOL
2 Common Sandpiper, 1 Grey Heron, 3 GC Grebe

So across the reserve there were 18 Green Sands and 7 Common Sand, both peak figures for the year. With at least 7 and possibly 9 Little Egrets noted today this the highest ever count for the reserve.

Far less satisfying was the gardening rubbish dumped at the Moors Pool car park.... :C

Last edited:
Cheers Dave and Reg, I was edging towards southern, but was beginning to convince myself it could also be a migrant hawker as it appears to have the golf tee on the second abdominal segment ...not easy either this dragonfly lark is it ? 8-P

Cheers Dave and Reg, I was edging towards southern, but was beginning to convince myself it could also be a migrant hawker as it appears to have the golf tee on the second abdominal segment ...not easy either this dragonfly lark is it ? 8-P

Hi Mark,

For comparison purposes - I took this picture of a Migrant Hawker on my local patch (Coney Meadow, Salwarpe) last year:

It has a more obviously golf-tee-shaped mark. Also, as Reg says, the antehumeral stripes are indistinct.

Attachments

• Migrant Hawker.jpg
    Migrant Hawker.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 98
Well having missed every Little Egret sighting this year I made up for it by seeing 7 ! 8-P
Shame it only adds one to my UW year list..is this a Common Hawker ?
View attachment 339045

View attachment 339053

View attachment 339054

Did you mean Common or Migrant? Two different species of course and Common Hawker is uncommon in Worcestershire. A good way of separating Southern Hawker from Migrant and Common is by looking at the lowest segment on the abdomen of Southern which has a solid ring of colour. On the other two species the ring is broken.

Des.

A stunning ringed adult Mediterranean Gull in the roost tonight ( red ring, left leg, 5P5?), had started to moult its black head off, but was still easilly picked out.
now have seen every year age of med at upton, and only have 2w to get before ive seen every plumage here!!
10+ Green sand, ( 1 on Sailing pool in darkness (heard)), 2 Common Sand, 31 Curlew, 1 LRP, 5 Common Tern. 2 Little egret flying to and fro from moors every now and then.

Moors
2 Egret the only birds of note (from west hide), only 1 was present when we first came, then the 2nd flew in from flashes and landed in large tree to right of east hide (from the west hide remember), and after a bit the 1st bird then flew to the flashes, we then went and had a look at a fledged family of Sparrowhawk on the track by the river, where we saw the 1st egret fly back in.
Photo's to follow tomorrow when i have more time
MB

???

can you have a look at these 1st i think is a rock pipit and the 2nd i've had all sorts of birds suggested robin whinchat even blue throat! so come on dave/john tell me its a mistle thrush! cheers in anticipation.

Attachments

• DSC07906.jpg
    DSC07906.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC00021.jpg
    DSC00021.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00028.jpg
    DSC00028.jpg