• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wet through but happy. (1 Viewer)

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
Went to Norfolk on Sunday, on a long-planned day's birding with friends. You can read the report here.
No photo's unfortunatelyas the weather was so bad.

Good report Keith pity about the weather..Reserve Snack Bars!!! Now I must suggest that to BWI for our reserves over here LOL!

Hi Keith.
What a cracking bird list considering the ' balmy early summer weather '. I must say, that kind of weather I hate when birding, but like you I've many a time ' made the best of it ' and had some better than expected days. Thanks for sharing your very good report.

All the best.
Baz.

A great report Keith, you were a brave lot to go birding in Norfolk on a day like that. and done well to get 82 ticks.

Hi Keith,
Sounds like a good day's birding in Norfolk. I was amused by your comment about the "easily seen" Sedge W. Lucky you! I often hear S.W. on my local patch but to this day I've never seen one. This tick continues to elude me grrr! lol.
I was curious about your poss sighting of the Shearwater spp. & why it was excluded from your list. At the risk of sounding daft, I'm not sure what spp means, are you referring to Storm petrel?
"My bird of the day" to look up & read about is the Temminck's Stint.
Well spotted, what a great tick.
Great report Keith.

Hi Keith,

That's a really impressive total for trhe day. There are 3 there that would be life ticks for me. Great shame about the weather, but a big success from the birding point of view. I've never been to those reserves in Norfolk, and wouldn't have thought of driving down for the day. You've given me ideas. Enjoyed the report.

Enjoyed the read Keith. A nice list despite what sounds like horrible weather. Well done on getting your 'ticks':clap:

Best wishes

Thanks for all the nice comments folks.

Pie
Shearwater spp just means that we knew it was a shearwater but not which species of shearwater, the spp being the abbreviation for species.
The annoying thing is that of the 3 species we narrowed it down to, were all seen along the Norfolk coast that afternoon so we can't even use other birders sightings to id it further.
The easily seen sedge warbler, took off from the reeds and went into full song flight mode, this is in the midst of an absolute downpour.

Sad thing was I had the camera, 4 fully charged sets of batteries but the weather was so poor I daren't risk the camera getting wet. We had a swift at head height flying into the wind and staying level with us, it would have been a totally fantastic picture but the rain would have ruined the camera.

Still there's always next time.

Just read your report Keith and a cracking one it is too! Such a pity with the weather though, one thing we cannot plan isn't it? 82 species on such a day sounds pretty good to me, if I saw half that amount in a day I would be happy:-O

What a scoop the Swift would have been, never mind as you say there's always next time.

Thanks for the link and sharing your day Keith!:clap:

Great stuff Keith! When I initially saw the post, I was thinking "huh... this is short..." but then I saw the link...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back