• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

natural england grant brood management license (1 Viewer)

I never thought I would live to see such disgusting action in this country.
It's actually worse than what has been going on for the last however many years of persecution. And that was appalling.

Those sitting on the NE board with (direct and indirect) interests in farming (too many!) and the Chief Executive Officer of the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust(!) may well be happy with this flawed scheme. However, I find it hard to imagine that those on the NE board who have a sound grounding in science and conservation can be happy going along with such a transparent sop to driven grouse shooting and they must surely be "considering their position". Two or three judicious resignations over this matter would seriously damage the scheme or cause more public scrutiny even if it doesn't scupper it directly. At the very least it would surely preserve their reputations.

Those sitting on the NE board with (direct and indirect) interests in farming (too many!) and the Chief Executive Officer of the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust(!) may well be happy with this flawed scheme. However, I find it hard to imagine that those on the NE board who have a sound grounding in science and conservation can be happy going along with such a transparent sop to driven grouse shooting and they must surely be "considering their position". Two or three judicious resignations over this matter would seriously damage the scheme or cause more public scrutiny even if it doesn't scupper it directly. At the very least it would surely preserve their reputations.

Would be a nice gesture, but wouldn't it just compromise NE even further? If all the good people resigned, they would be replaced with more pro-hunting lackeys. Then we'd see all of NE's reserves opened up to shooting (including those not currently so) and an end to any meaningful wildlife protection in the whole country.

Would be a nice gesture, but wouldn't it just compromise NE even further? If all the good people resigned, they would be replaced with more pro-hunting lackeys. Then we'd see all of NE's reserves opened up to shooting (including those not currently so) and an end to any meaningful wildlife protection in the whole country.

Generally, that would be my position but there comes a point where a stand must be made. Frankly, one could argue that their presence isn't doing much good at the moment as NE is already happily pushing an agenda determined by pro-shooting groups. By continuing in post they not only acquiesce to this barmy scheme but make NE appear fit for purpose which it clearly is not. I really doubt that it would be politically feasible to stuff it with more pro-hunting/farming interests (there are too many already) as it would run the risk of seriously backfiring by making transparently an instrument not for conservation but for landed interests. I doubt too that introducing shooting to reserves where none exists would be possible given the outcry and level of protest. The Conservatives have clearly recognised that they need a green agenda to attract young people and any such move would blow that sky high.

This whole scheme stinks! Natural England should be used for using the word "Natural" what's natural about removing wild birds from the nest and relocating them elsewhere?

This is disgraceful but not surprising from a government elbow deep in corruption, sleaze, cronyism and all the worst Victorian values.

John

I know that the so called "custodians of the countryside" have to balance the interests of those who make a living from the land and the other habitants (ie the wildlife etc) but this just stinks of pandering to those with the deepest pockets and friends in high places. Just how is this supposed to help the plight of the Hen Harrier?

Gamekeepers will know exactly where the birds are going to be released, will probably be lining up to take pot shots at them, and those that have actually managed to survive being hand reared (begs another question as to who exactly will be supervising the rearing process) may well be partially imprinted such that they have no natural wariness of humans and therefore easy targets.

Another thought also springs to mind... Having removed eggs/chicks from nests what effect is this going to have on the parents? One can only assume that they will perceive it as predation and therefore nest failure which may well dissuade them from nesting in the area again if their success rate is low.

Gamekeepers will know exactly where the birds are going to be released, will probably be lining up to take pot shots at them, and those that have actually managed to survive being hand reared (begs another question as to who exactly will be supervising the rearing process) may well be partially imprinted such that they have no natural wariness of humans and therefore easy targets.

Another thought also springs to mind... Having removed eggs/chicks from nests what effect is this going to have on the parents? One can only assume that they will perceive it as predation and therefore nest failure which may well dissuade them from nesting in the area again if their success rate is low.

Not great for British H Harrier population but what about releasing on the continent, lesser of two evils?

A

Not great for British H Harrier population but what about releasing on the continent, lesser of two evils?

A

Either that or other areas (Mull maybe) where there is less persecution (ie where there is little or no driven grouse shooting). Hopefully the birds will be satellite tagged on release so that they can be tracked.

Do (un) Natural England have an A.G.M. of any sort or form?
Or any public meetings at all?
Sorry to display my ignorance on this fora
Thanks for your time and trouble
Be lucky
David

I'm pleased to see that the RSPB is now, belatedly, also supporting a legal challenge. As one of those who contributed to the legal fund which seems to have pushed them into action, can I ask for the next couple of years of RSPB membership to be gratis?

I'm pleased to see that the RSPB is now, belatedly, also supporting a legal challenge. As one of those who contributed to the legal fund which seems to have pushed them into action, can I ask for the next couple of years of RSPB membership to be gratis?

The RSPB support for legal challenge is independent of the first one, and is not inspired by/pushed into action by it. It's much easier for a single individual (Avery) to act more nimbly than a massive organisation (RSPB). Let's just be glad that RSPB have added their significant heft to our side of this fight...

The biggest disappointment from my perspective is that the Hawk & Owl trust are taking part in the scheme.
A suggested in #5 surely it is time for such an organization to make a stand and withdraw. I suspect that if they did a poll of their membership they would wake up and smell the coffee.

What you all seem to forget is that this country has always put the emphasis on money that is why thieves get longer prison sentences than murdering rapists .
ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back