• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sri Phang Nga & Surin Islands: any tips? (1 Viewer)

I'm just getting ready for a short trip to Southern Thailand. There's going to be some sightseeing and snorkelling involved but I'm also going to sneak off for a few days for some birdwatching on the Surin Islands and Sri Phang Nga National Park.

To make sure I get the most from my trip I've been reading loads of trip reports and information on the Thai birding sites. I was just wondering if anyone here had any recent birding tips (or tips for any practicalities) for Surin or Sri Phang Nga.

It would be good to know how I get the best chance at seeing Beach Thick Knee on Surin. If I hire a longboat (and driver!) which beaches are the best?

I'm planning on staying in the bungalows at Sri Phang Nga which will allow me to get up stupidly early and hang around in the park at night after it closes for Frogmouths and Owls. Has anyone had any experience of staying in the park? At the moment I'm trying to negotiate their inpenetrable reservation / booking website.

Cheers / ขอขอบคุณ !

Hi there,

I stayed at Sri Phang Nga NP mid-2016, and while the cabins are basic, they are comfortable enough. The NP staff were helpful, even driving me out to the main road to catch a bus when I left (I arrived from Khao Sok NP via 'taxi'). As I'm sure you've read, the NP's restaurant closes in the afternoon, but they are more than happy to prepare a meal in a box for you to have later.

As far as birding goes, while I was there it rained perhaps 80% of the time, so I didn't really have many highlights, but the NP was still a pleasant place, and I definitely plan on making it back there in the next couple of years.

Ben.

Thanks for the information Ben. Yes, I heard that the staff are helpful - my friends who have travelled in Thailand before said that the Thai people are a friendly bunch.

Did you have to book the bungalows before you arrived or did you just turn up and pay? I'd like to book before I get there. I know it's not that busy but I don't want to get a bus, hike 5km down the road only to find there's nowhere to stay! There is an online reservation system. You can reserve a bungalow but you then have 24 hours to pay and confirm the booking. And it seems impossible to pay if you are not in Thailand! It's all a bit frustrating!

Hopefully I will work it out. Be cool to spend a few days in there - especially at dawn and dusk.

I always book NP accommodation before I go, but I live in Bangkok, so it is easy to do so via the online system. When I was there, there was only one other bungalow being used, so it's possible that there will be bungalows free, but I'm unsure whether you can just turn up and pay - I'm sure you can, though.

Hi Ben. How did you go about paying to book a bungalow? I've managed to reserve the nights I want to stay - but can't get past the last stage of the process. I enjoy a challenge but this doing my nut in!

It seems there are two options. You either pay in person at a National Park office or via a Krung Thai bank. So, as you say, it is easy IF you are already in Thailand !

I was looking at how I could send money over via a bank transfer but that wouldn't work.Is it possible to do the whole thing online once you're in Thailand? Sorry for all the technical / non birdy questions but I spent half a day on this yesterday and it's driving me mad!

I pay by simply walking to the Krung Thai bank near my workplace haha. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do it all once you arrived in Thailand. I doubt all of the bungalows would be booked out.

Thanks for the info. You're just rubbing it in now! - you get to live in Thailand AND you don't have all the hassle of the DNP website. You're a lucky fella! I'm sort of confident that the bungalows wont be booked up. The reservation calendar on the website seems reliable and empty. I'll look and see if my travels take me past a Krung Thai bank...Thanks again!
Michael

I pay by simply walking to the Krung Thai bank near my workplace haha. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do it all once you arrived in Thailand. I doubt all of the bungalows would be booked out.

How is about camping ?
It is possible with rented or own tent.
But how is about temperature ?

Last year in March in Kaeng Krachen lower camp ( Bang Krang ), they temperature in the night was just at the limit for sleeping.

I dont think Sri Phang-nga rent out tents like other National Parks.

There are campgrounds so, if I get desperate I may just buy a cheap tent (if I can find one) and take that with me. It may get hot in there though!

At least I wont need a sleeping bag.

How is about camping ?
It is possible with rented or own tent.
But how is about temperature ?

There is a campground, but I don't believe you're able to rent tents from this NP - you'd have to bring your own.

Regarding the temperature, I have only been to that NP once and it was in July, and was a little 'cool' simply because it was raining most of the time. Given the NP is quite close to the coast and at no elevation, it probably get a little warm at some times of the year, but the accommodation/campground is in a nice clearing/small valley between some modest hills, so that may alleviate some heat if that is what the concern was. The bungalows come equipped with fans, so that would help somewhat, too. I guess it depends on what you're used to or can tolerate.

Last edited:
Here is written

http://www.surin-islands.com/accommodation/

"Surin Island Tents are large and simple. Included are sheets, pillows and a floor pad. The tents do have a mosquito net. The tents are placed about 1-1.5 meters apart in one central area quite near the beaches. They are currently 570 Baht per night and reservations are recommended, especially during Holidays. You are not able to put up your own tent."

But they wrote

http://learnthaiwithmod.com/2014/01/paradise-found-at-the-surin-islands/

"ACCOMMODATION:

The National Park Authority of Thailand run all the accommodation on the Surin Islands giving only a few options to visitors.

There are two main campgrounds: the headquarters and Hat Mai Ngam where you can erect your own tent for 80 Baht. Alternatively, you can rent a large good quality tent from Surin Marine Park Authority for 400 Baht. Bedding is available."

Hi Michael,

Re Sri Phang Nga; I visited overnight in 2013 so info may be a little out of date.

We just turned up and booked a bungalow middle of the day from the reserve offices, and payed on site.

As already mentioned, the tiny cafe closed ridiculously early in the afternoon, so be prepared for that. Menu was very limited but ok to fill you up with basic food (ie rice). You may want to take a few snacks in with you.

There are few trails, the ones that go any length are either quite indistinct and/or involve steep sections/river crossings. The map on this page seems accurate to my recollection from 2013: http://www.thaibirding.com/locations/south/spn.htm

Birding was slow but quite good. During the day the Chestnut-naped Forktail was at the recognised stakeout along the little stream at the end of the track from the accommodation, and further on that trail was where the tame Banded Pitta was. It obviously gets fed a lot. Hornbills included Helmeted (heard only) from the steep round trail.

Night birding was difficult because the rangers flat out refused to let us go out of the main clearing area at night. We were rounded up at pre-dusk (being down the track towards the waterfall) and marched back to our bungalow with still an hour of light left! Sneaking back out is tricky as their living/working area is adjacent to the clearing and access track to the waterfall. We did manage to do some walking around though, and had my best ever views of Oriental Bay Owl here - a pair hunting, with stunning views at head height, down to almost touching distance - check bamboo areas with a spotlight.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Thanks for that information Gareth - really useful.
Yes, I knew the cafe closes at 4pm so I was planning on bringing an extra rucksack full of crisps. They are happy to make you a boxed meal for the evening too apparently.
I wasn't aware there was a curfew though...one online guide to birding in Thailalnd I read said that the bungalows weren't too comfortable but the reason for staying here was so you could look / listen for nocturnal species. I wasn't planning on wandering off along into the jungle at night - and fully appreciate why the rangers don't want tourists roaming off. Hopefully I can sneak out of my bungalow for some Bay Owl action.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back