• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can birds see all colours ? (1 Viewer)

aussiesteve

G'day,
A question for the boffins.
Can birds see all colours ?
I am asking this primarily in relation to parrots.
I have witnessed some birds collide with objects, mostly Galahs.
We don't call somebody a stupid galah for no reason.
Plus, my quarrian seems not to distinguish fawn or yellow objects when on a similar colour background.
Maybe he just needs prescription glasses.
The old bush tucker adage, beware of unknown red fruit unless you see a bird eating it.
This infers that birds can see red unlike dogs.
I am curious.
Steve.

Yep, birds can see all colours, and then some - they can see ultraviolet, which we can't.

Even more astonishing, they can see magnetic field direction as a 'colour' - can you imagine being able to see which way North is, by its colour?? :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: Birds can!

G'day Nutcracker,
Thanks, I guess that this means that I will need to cart my parrot to the optometrist.
When I look north, I see that big yellow thing glowing in the sky.
Naturally, I don't look directly at it.
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back