• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

Had a female Crossbill at Holme today outside obs (poor pic attached). Little else but 4 Gannets east, 2 Sand Martins east, 1 female Marsh Harrier, 2 Turtle Doves...

Attachments

• crossbill-holme(f)-con.jpg
    crossbill-holme(f)-con.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Had a female Crossbill at Holme today outside obs (poor pic attached). Little else but 4 Gannets east, 2 Sand Martins east, 1 female Marsh Harrier, 2 Turtle Doves...

Lovely Connor, I have been digging out a drive for my new car from early this morning until 10pm tonight. Having a day off tomorrow, will be at Holme middayish after picking car up and then cruising along coast, can't wait.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Thought the Lesser 'throats had moved on but they are recently singing again....perhaps getting ready for a second brood?

Found some broomrapes growing down the lane yesterday. Hopefully they will have done their thing before the verges are cut again...

James

Attachments

• Photo-0095.jpg
    Photo-0095.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Photo-0097.jpg
    Photo-0097.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo-0096.jpg
    Photo-0096.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 80
We ended up going to Strumpshaw fen. too overcast for swallowtails unfortunately. Saw a cettis warbler briefly, loads singing, marsh harrier, not much else about.

Hi All
I will be spending a week in North Norfolk from the 22nd June (based at Little Snoring) and will be visiting a number of common sites. However, speaking with a Norfolk birder at Lakenheath recently, it was mentioned that Montagu's Harrier could be viewed regularly at ?Burnham. Looking at the map, there appears to be many Burnhams. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very pleased as this would be a lifer. Obviously any sensitivity will be respected.
Many thanks.

Kevin

Might get a few hours at Strumpshaw Fen tomorrow afternoon, is it worth holding out for Swallowtails in this relatively glum weather?

Matt

a very nice adult dark-phase Arctic Skua on Waxham beach for a short while this afternoon. Some of the best views i've ever had of this species. Eventually flew off over the dunes and inland

Tim

Rotton day today. Garage let me down, could not pick car up (long boring story) so borrowed a cr*p car from them, won't say what it was, in case some one on here has one, but it was like driving a boat!!! Eventually got to Holme at 3pm, dull weather, lots of painted ladies, a turtle dove purring, fulmar flew right over my head on shore, common, sandwich and little terns passing through. Went on for trundle (rocked along) along coast, dull, foggy rotton weather, got back to King's Lynn where it it stunning sunshine and has been all afternoon!!!!! I should have been a good girl and continued digging my drive out!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Sunday at Wheatfen we saw in total 5 swallowtails over the day, also 6+ Norfolk Hawkers, a red admiral, a ringlet and a speckled wood, large red, azure and blue-tailed damsels and an emperor (trying to eat a swallowtail!). So the overcast weather isn't fatal as long as there's no wind and it's warm.

One advantage of the skies was that the swallowtails were torpid and spent very long periods just sitting there. Folks were getting their cameras to within an inch of the insects without disturbing them.

One advantage of the skies was that the swallowtails were torpid and spent very long periods just sitting there. Folks were getting their cameras to within an inch of the insects without disturbing them.

Saw one this afternoon at Strumpshaw Fen, very obliging it was too while I fumbled with the camera.

Also seen were 5 Marsh Harriers (3 females/2 males), one Common Buzzard headed towards surlingham and two Barn Owls were hunting together pretty much all afternoon in the flower meadows!!

A brief trek to Buckenham started a bit quiet but soon livened up once I got to the wader scrapes at the old mill, at least 5 Little Egrets were seen among the Lapwings and Avocets etc (some with chicks), other waders included Red Shanks, 1 Common Sandpiper and five Little/Ringed Plover?

Matt

Attachments

• buckenham etc 127 (Custom).jpg
    buckenham etc 127 (Custom).jpg
    138 KB · Views: 129
  • buckenham etc 129 (Custom).jpg
    buckenham etc 129 (Custom).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 124
  • buckenham etc 133 (Custom).jpg
    buckenham etc 133 (Custom).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Please could someone recommend a good area to stay in that is relatively close to the most popular reserves? ( If possible with a bus route to get me there would be great ) Also, which are the best reserves to visit? Hopefully i will be going for the first time this summer!

Hopefully someone will be able to help me as there are so many norfolk birders out there!

Thanks very much in advance

Last edited:
Please could someone recommend a good area to stay in that is relatively close to the most popular reserves? ( If possible with a bus route to get me there would be great ) Also, which are the best reserves to visit? Hopefully i will be going for the first time this summer!

Hopefully someone will be able to help me as there are so many norfolk birders out there!

Thanks very much in advance

Sheringham would be a good spot, you can get anywhere on the north coast with the coasthopper service which runs regularly along the coastline between kings lynn bus station/hunstanton and cromer, sheringham train station also takes you direct into norwich/norfolk broads etc.

Matt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back