• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix 4500 settings (1 Viewer)

I apologize in advance if someone has already posted this info in a previous thread or on a website. I'm a new digiscoper and am having a difficult time figuring out the best settings for my Coolpix 4500. Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn the optimal camera settings that I should be using? I did find some info that indicated using a 3x zoom instead of 4x is best. Thanks for any feedback!

Hi Kathy, welcome to birdforum. I have moved this post into the digiscoping/settings forum. In this particular forum you will see many posts about settings for the cp4500 and the related Nikons used for digiscoping. In the very first thread in this forum http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=3302 are some settings that I advise for digiscoping, though they are not carved in stone, so some experimentation is suggested.
http://www.digiscoped.com/DigiscopingTechnique.html is basically the same again but on my own site
Best regards,
Andy

settings

I use most of the settings Andy prescribes. I do change the iso setting pretty frequently depending on lighting. One setting i just realized today (after reading manual, it helps) is you can set the 4500 on telephoto setting. What that does is when you turn camera on, it automatically adjusts the camera to zoom in half way. Therefore you dont have to zoom each time to get rid vignetting. Maybe this is elementary but i missed it. Ps I bought batteries much cheaper on Ebay so I keep several extras. That way i always have one charging.
Kathy Kittiwake said:
I apologize in advance if someone has already posted this info in a previous thread or on a website. I'm a new digiscoper and am having a difficult time figuring out the best settings for my Coolpix 4500. Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn the optimal camera settings that I should be using? I did find some info that indicated using a 3x zoom instead of 4x is best. Thanks for any feedback!

I thik it's a question of tinkering with the settings until you are comfortable with them. Personally I never go above 100 ASA as grain (noise) becomes a problem. Fir a record shot I may go to 200 ASA.

As regards the telephoto setting, is this the one for teleconverter lenses? If so then I think it simply presets the zoom for when the TC E2/3 ED is in place to reduce vignetting. I'd say give it a go and if it works for you then use it :t:

Good point with the batteries. I have two and keep then fully charged.

Hi Kathy, you won't go far wrong if you use Andys' settings off his website,I,m a relative novice to digiscoping and with Andy's settings I am getting reasonable results already, best of luck.

Andy Bright said:
Hi Kathy, welcome to birdforum. I have moved this post into the digiscoping/settings forum. In this particular forum you will see many posts about settings for the cp4500 and the related Nikons used for digiscoping. In the very first thread in this forum http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=3302 are some settings that I advise for digiscoping, though they are not carved in stone, so some experimentation is suggested.
http://www.digiscoped.com/DigiscopingTechnique.html is basically the same again but on my own site
Best regards,
Andy

Thank you so much, Andy! I shall check it out... hopefully, I can start getting some quality photos soon. :)

Kathy

tikey1949 said:
I use most of the settings Andy prescribes. I do change the iso setting pretty frequently depending on lighting. One setting i just realized today (after reading manual, it helps) is you can set the 4500 on telephoto setting. What that does is when you turn camera on, it automatically adjusts the camera to zoom in half way. Therefore you dont have to zoom each time to get rid vignetting. Maybe this is elementary but i missed it. Ps I bought batteries much cheaper on Ebay so I keep several extras. That way i always have one charging.

That is great to know! Thanks so much for the tip!!

Kathy :news:

bobwoodcock said:
Hi Kathy, you won't go far wrong if you use Andys' settings off his website,I,m a relative novice to digiscoping and with Andy's settings I am getting reasonable results already, best of luck.

Thank you Bob! Can't wait to check out his website!

Kathy :bounce:

IanF said:
I thik it's a question of tinkering with the settings until you are comfortable with them. Personally I never go above 100 ASA as grain (noise) becomes a problem. Fir a record shot I may go to 200 ASA.

As regards the telephoto setting, is this the one for teleconverter lenses? If so then I think it simply presets the zoom for when the TC E2/3 ED is in place to reduce vignetting. I'd say give it a go and if it works for you then use it :t:

Good point with the batteries. I have two and keep then fully charged.

Thanks, Ian!!

Kathy B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back