• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

Hi Lawts!

I'm only seeing Lessers - but in a flock that size you've a fair chance of something else. Whereabouts is Redhouse Woods Doc - will bob over if I can?

redhouse is just of A59;take moormonkton crossroads, head for moormonkton.200 yds on turn right..i think may be still sign for redhouse school(used to be a private school,now an estate). Follow nearly to end..u will see woodlands(plantation) near end.Spot turning to left, though in this weather would leave car somewhere on main track.Ths track heads up to waterworks treatment centre, but on left is a gated entrance into woods.Redpolls/siskins manly in slver brches between gate and small woodland pool about 200m along.
Might be free sat am...if want to meet up..fair sized flock..and im not good with redpoll id...but some of these birds are interesting!
Paul

Thanks!

I'm with Lawts on the latter two birds. Ground colour is buff and warm and they are too streaky.

to James and Lawts; James I think you set me off with earlier comments!.despite being into photography..and engrossed in it when into a flock...I must admit I didn't see anything 'in the field' that stood out. Still...I guess.. hope that best to post pics rather than stay quiet!. The Mealy pic posted by ? Andy seems such a drab bird..some of mine seemed so white underneath.Maybe just light? Is it common for Lessers to have such prominent tarsal feathering..thought that might be indcator for northern birds?Sorry..my ignorance..at least in these matters..is profound!!!
Paul

redpolls

Russell Slack has had a look at the pics and feels last posted is a good mealy candidate. I need to go back and see some pale rumps!

Apologies for the poor quality of images, however great to see Waxwings feeding outside patients bedrooms, at Castle Hill Hospital, entertained patients for the afternoon, flock of 8

R0011681.jpg

R0011682.jpg

Posted some more is it/isn't it Mealy shots on my blog from Fairburn today. Would be interested to hear what people think. Pics not quite up to Doc's standard I'm afraid! Also posted pics of Long-Eared Owl and the Ring-Billed Gull along with an unidentified plover. Probably a Goldie but couldn't tell in the fading light.

http://secrettwitcher87.blogspot.com/

Nice blog there Secret... Nice to know the gull is still hanging around, I'll try and get there on Saturday morning first light. If not then the LEO's would be a nice year end tick...
I ain't gonna give an opinion on the redpoll.... I've seen one mealy that I am truly happy with so no ways an expert.

Cheers Keith. I think the more I look at it the more I think it's probably a lesser. Enjoyed trying to pick one out though, I'll have to go back again to see if I can nail one properly. Would think you stand a very good chance with both the RBG and LEO's.

Ken... If I do go birding it will be before work...so I won't be coming back into Leeds until late afternoon.

To quote Lawts... it will be smash and grab time

Posted some more is it/isn't it Mealy shots on my blog from Fairburn today. Would be interested to hear what people think. Pics not quite up to Doc's standard I'm afraid! Also posted pics of Long-Eared Owl and the Ring-Billed Gull along with an unidentified plover. Probably a Goldie but couldn't tell in the fading light.

Secret, a good candidate for Common - very pale super, largely unstreaked undertail coverts. Any more shots with the rump showing?

Cricket

A few staying up for the cricket - James, Secret?!

Not staying up too late myself - going to try for some pre-work Waxwing shots at Colton. Will watch the first hour.

bloody hell!!

Checked your blog.fantastic stuff , keep it up! As for redpolls..give up on the buggers! One of my pics has got thumbs up for mealy, rest of yorkshire think no. I look at them in field....and think...aaaaaagh!
So won't comment on yours. Will be back to redhouse..so many redpolls there...there will be a stranger amongst them!
Crap birder!!(me!)
Paul!

Thanks!

LGRE has just published a guide on the beasts :storm:

Cheers Ken

Looked at this before..I think via you! I have same problem(not that its aproblem really!) every year at Redhouse..quite big(150-200+) flocks of redpolls.None of whom want to show me there jacksie!
I watch them alot...so perhaps telling that can't recall a single cold ,frosty bird , with a pale rump.
I reckon there is a mealy in there though...my project for the winter is now defined!!
Cheers Ken
and let me know if u fancy grilling them, we can arrange something!!

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back