• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 300-800mm Handheld??!! (1 Viewer)

I tried hand holding my Sigmonster early on, but the lens is just too long. The center of gravity is so far out that my supporting arm is nearer to horizontal, with very little capacity for vertical load. I've hand held the nearly as heavy 600 f4 IS and 400 2.8 IS, and I can shoot these big Canon primes for several seconds at a time. But I can't do it with the Sigmonster. Perhaps it can be done by a taller, stronger guy (I'm 2 hairs shy of 1.74 m in height). :)

I tried hand holding my Sigmonster early on, but the lens is just too long. The center of gravity is so far out that my supporting arm is nearer to horizontal, with very little capacity for vertical load. I've hand held the nearly as heavy 600 f4 IS and 400 2.8 IS, and I can shoot these big Canon primes for several seconds at a time. But I can't do it with the Sigmonster. Perhaps it can be done by a taller, stronger guy (I'm 2 hairs shy of 1.74 m in height). :)

I'm 6'4" 16 stone but struggle to hold the sigmonster but don't know how much of that is down to the fact i'm also disabled in hands/arms etc so not much strength in arms:C really it does need to be on a very solid tripod for best results

I'm 6'4" 16 stone but struggle to hold the sigmonster but don't know how much of that is down to the fact i'm also disabled in hands/arms etc so not much strength in arms:C really it does need to be on a very solid tripod for best results
I don't think it's you. I'm 6' and I curl with 45lb dumbells in the gym. A lens like this doesn't just add weight, it also adds and awkwardness factor because of it's shape as mentioned before. Trying to balance it is the real problem. I've hand held some big lenses before but when they get this large the center of gravity gets you more than the weight.

I don't think it's you. I'm 6' and I curl with 45lb dumbells in the gym. A lens like this doesn't just add weight, it also adds and awkwardness factor because of it's shape as mentioned before. Trying to balance it is the real problem. I've hand held some big lenses before but when they get this large the center of gravity gets you more than the weight.

Your right! I stick mine on either a Wimberley or bean bag for support:t:

I've heard of a guy in Lancashire that handholds the 300-800, and know someone that's seen him taking shots of a short-eared owl handheld:eek!:

Perv!;););)8-P :t:

Hey, photography's not my only hobby you know! 8-P
Although the two do overlap a bit. ;) :-O

Seriously though, you'd have to be some kinda weirdo to blow £20,000 on one lens like he says he would if he had the money (mind you he's probably got quite a few nice lenses already). But just think of the kit list you could put together with a wod of cash like that.

Hey, photography's not my only hobby you know! 8-P
Although the two do overlap a bit. ;) :-O

Seriously though, you'd have to be some kinda weirdo to blow £20,000 on one lens like he says he would if he had the money (mind you he's probably got quite a few nice lenses already). But just think of the kit list you could put together with a wod of cash like that.

£20,000! I'd buy a compact and spend the rest on a BMW1200gs (already have a 1150gs but would like another in the garage);)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back