• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Germanys only wild Flamingo colony (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

On Sunday my girlfrind and me decided spontaneously to go to the Zwilbrocker Venn, a nature reserve in the Northwest of the german federal state Northrhine-Westfalia (the nature reserve is a mixture from meadows (mainly the nearby Ellewicker Feld), sandy areas with heathland, moor and swamp, and a shallow lake in the middle (people were taking peat fron there in former centuries, that´s how the lake formed)

The nature reserve supports the biggest breeding colony of Blackheaded gulls in Germany; and the gulls guano is enrichening the water with nutrients, so that it is a soup of planctonic algae, crustaceans and insect larvae.
The flamingo history of the site goes like this:
Somehow this food supply was discovered by a few escaped Chilean Flamingoes (Phoenicopterus chilensis) in the middle of the 80ies; (original number was said to be 4). They must have been from a Zoo or perhaps even a private owner; but nobody was reporting Flamingoes missing. They started to breed and raise young with success in the following years and where soon joined by some Greater Flamingoes Ph. ruber roseus and a single Cuban Flamingo Ph. ruber ruber. They also reared young; there was also mixed pairing, the cuban Flamingo had to choose one of his European cousins; but there were even mixed pairs of Ph. ruber roseus x chilensis, which reared young successfully. The majority of the birds still is Chilean Flamingoes
Over 70 young have been ringed from the mid eighties until now. However , there have been several years where the birds were not successfull. In winter the shallow lake freezes and the birds migrate west to the Netherlands. They winter in the Rhine Delta; and it is said that some of the Greater flamingos may result from there as a small group of Greater flamingoes from the camargue is also wintering there.

Our observations on Sunday included the following:

We had great views of Chilean and Greater Flamingo sitting on their strange volcano-shaped mud nests (12 so far) in the middle of the Blackheaded gull colony, and also of Chilean flamingoes feeding.
some Gull chicks were quite big already, but still downy.

Other not everyday birds we saw included Curlew, Blacktailed godwit, Woodlark, Tawny pipit; Tree pipit, Sparrowhawk, Barnacle Goose (with young), Stockdove; Common Redstart (quite a rare bird now in Germany)

There were also Aegyptian goose,Shellduck; Whitethroat, lesser Whitethroat, Greylag goose, mallard, tufted duck, coot, Chiffchaff, willow warbler, House and tree sparrow, yellowhammer, Cuckoo, common bussard, kestrel, Yellowlegged gull, Great tit, Blackcap, Blackbird, Jackdaw, Black crow, Chaffinch, Wood pigeon, turtle dove, Collared dove, Lapwing, Oystercatcher, Linnet, Magpie, Winter Wren...and so on

Probably I left something out, but that´s to give the general impression. Habitat is very variable there, as indicated above; and it is clearly a good place in spring-early summer.

Jörn

Is it easy to find? I'm asking because it might be a place worth stopping at, if one was driving that way going south on holiday. Are the flamingos at the spot most of the time, or do they fly off somewhere else?

Hi Hendrik;
this is not difficult to find, once you are in Zwillbrock , there is a good information centre in Zwillbrock and also there are signs for the Flamingo route (there is a 6 km walk around the area and some hides, and the walk to the hide where you have the best view into the colony is about 1 km distance from church in the center of the little village Zwillbrock.
Number of nests is between 10 and 15 in most years, I think, so don´t expect a big colony of Flamingos like at some African lakes. They are well visible in that area at least until mid June, but then move around, when the young are getting bigger and are not allways well visible then.

There must be some links on the net; I´ll try to find them.

Great story! Have you thought about releasing a few Puno, Andean and Lesser? That would make a great place to practice your flamingo-ID skills ;)

Hi Rasmus,

in fact, a Lesser Flamigo has been seen there (one observation in the 90s, I was told)-so just 2 species still missing... :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back