• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

skywatcher+canon 40D (1 Viewer)

boingbirder

Hi Everyone,
I would be grateful for any advice regarding the possible purchase of a second hand 40D.
At the moment I use a Panasonic Lumix G1 attached (body only) to an old Skywatcher scope and get quite reasonable results(even the occasional BIF)
I have been thinking about getting a mid-range DSLR to do the same job, while using my G1 with the 200mm lens I also have, for close range pictures.
I know that there is not supposed to be much difference between entry level DSLRs and the G1, but I am hoping that something like the 40D( or equivalent other brand) will justify the outlay of £350 plus.
So, would I end up with much better pictures? Comments please!

cheers

John

Just my opinion (and I have no personal experience of using an astro scope for photography) but I doubt that you would see much (if any?) improvement in IQ with a 40D or any similar used DSLR compared to your G1.

I think your notion that more expensive camera = better pictures is not necessarily true!

It's fairly widespread practice for Canon and probably others too (my system is Canon) to use the same or similar sensors these days in their more advanced bodies as in their entry level ones. What makes more expensive bodies 'better' is a more advanced feature set such as better metering modes, higher frame/second rate etc. none of which will improve basic IQ. They do however make it easier to get better shots in more trying circumstances, but for your intended purpose I don't think these 'advantages' will offer much improvement for you.

Looking specifically at your Pana G1 (and other M4/3 bodies), I would say they have some inherent advantages for the type of photography you do, though I would be happy for others to disagree.

Firstly, they have mirrorless shutters, meaning less vibration than a conventional DSLR. Also, and I could be wrong about this one, cameras with smaller sensors tend to be less light hungry than larger sensor bodies, meaning you should get higher shutter speeds in equivalent conditions. Finally, the G1 has slightly higher pixel density, though in reality I doubt it will make much real world difference, if any?

Just my thoughts, but worth considering before parting with your hard earned £££.

Last edited:
skywatcher+40D

Thanks Steve for your informative and considered response to my query. That's what makes BirdForum such a wonderful medium- people with limited knowledge and nous have access to other users experience.
Cheers!

The only thing that I think would be useful is the 40D has 10x live view mode, which is extremely handy for critical focus on birds that are a bit too far away to establish whether you have it focused properly. This is the only option that i think would actually get you a better photo over the G1, but those situations are only going to crop up sometimes, not all the time, so whether its worth the investment just for that is something you'd have to think about.

When i had a 40D, it was the 10x Live View mode that got me some photos that i would have otherwise missed, but since you already have a decent camera, it may not be worth changing

The only thing that I think would be useful is the 40D has 10x live view mode, which is extremely handy for critical focus on birds that are a bit too far away to establish whether you have it focused properly. This is the only option that i think would actually get you a better photo over the G1, but those situations are only going to crop up sometimes, not all the time, so whether its worth the investment just for that is something you'd have to think about.

When i had a 40D, it was the 10x Live View mode that got me some photos that i would have otherwise missed, but since you already have a decent camera, it may not be worth changing

You can magnify the view in the electronic viewfinder on the G1 so this might be a problem.

Paul.

Excellent, but why would it be a problem? I think John doesnt really need to upgrade as it sounds like the G1 is every bit as good

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back