• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

impressions on the Canon 10x42L IS (1 Viewer)

There is no discount on them at Eagle Optics. They are offered for $1999.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collect...s/canon-image-stabilized-10x42-l-wp-binocular

Although on the Canon collection listing page the price shown goes from $1699.99 to $1999.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collections/binoculars/canon

Bob

Now $1099 from Amazon as well.
It does seem like a clearance sale of the model, even though neither Amazon nor B&H have so indicated.
Maybe a Mk 2 introduction at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January?

There is no discount on them at Eagle Optics. They are offered for $1999.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collect...s/canon-image-stabilized-10x42-l-wp-binocular

Although on the Canon collection listing page the price shown goes from $1699.99 to $1999.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collections/binoculars/canon

Bob

EO (since Ben Lizdas has gone) has changed their corporate pricing philosophy, Bob. Even after stating Amazon, B&H and Adorama has current 45% off sales, won't "price match" and all they will do is drop $100 off the full $2K MSRP. :eek!:

Even the USA Canon store has the 10x42L at 20% off retail, EO sales didn't seem to care!

Bye, Bye EO...

Ted

Last edited:
EO (since Ben Lizdas has gone) has changed their corporate pricing philosophy, Bob. Even after stating Amazon, B&H and Adorama has current 45% off sales, won't "price match" and all they will do is drop $100 off the full $2K MSRP. :eek!:

Even the USA Canon store has the 10x42L at 20% off retail, EO sales didn't seem to care!

Bye, Bye EO...

Ted

Adorama and B&H sure aren't selling these at a loss willingly. There must have been deals made with Canon to approve these prices.

Also I noticed that Camera Land doesn't carry Canon any more.

Maybe Canon doesn't want to do business with these smaller dealers?

I wonder how many Canon binoculars are in EO's inventory at this time and if EO will replace them?

Bob

Several scenarios I can think of.

The Canon 10x42 L is too labour intensive to make a profit and is being withdrawn.

There is a new model or improvement and old stocks are being sold at a discount.

They have made too many and excess stock is being sold at a discount.

If there is a new model it is likely to have improved IS.
Whether the bulk and weight can be reduced I don't know.
If it had a wider field with the same or better optics, which are anyway excellent, then it would be special indeed.

Time will tell.

Perhaps I'll get my lightweight Canon wide angle 22x56 IS and the Canon wide angle 10x-22x 42 zoom IS.

Several scenarios I can think of.

The Canon 10x42 L is too labour intensive to make a profit and is being withdrawn.

There is a new model or improvement and old stocks are being sold at a discount.

They have made too many and excess stock is being sold at a discount.

If there is a new model it is likely to have improved IS.
Whether the bulk and weight can be reduced I don't know.
If it had a wider field with the same or better optics, which are anyway excellent, then it would be special indeed.

Time will tell.

Perhaps I'll get my lightweight Canon wide angle 22x56 IS and the Canon wide angle 10x-22x 42 zoom IS.

Binoculars is a peripheral business for Canon, not even mentioned once in the Q3 management discussion or in the corporate product profile.
Hopefully the line earns its keep. It is certainly class leading and really should be a Canon showcase product.
However, Canon is currently under stress, with Q3 sales down 15.9% and net income down 50.4%, due to slower camera and laser printer sales. So cost reductions are under way, including a 37 billion yen slash in advertising and R&D this year.
In this environment, a new 10x42 model would be a strong indication that the binocular business remains profitable and is not facing the chop, despite the corporate pressures.

Adorama and B&H sure aren't selling these at a loss willingly. There must have been deals made with Canon to approve these prices.

Also I noticed that Camera Land doesn't carry Canon any more.

Maybe Canon doesn't want to do business with these smaller dealers?

I wonder how many Canon binoculars are in EO's inventory at this time and if EO will replace them?

Bob

Bob:

Cameral Land does indeed handle Canon, cameras and optics.

Does anybody know where did Ben Lizdas go? He was a great resource.

Jerry

Bob:

Does anybody know where did Ben Lizdas go? He was a great resource.

Jerry

Unlike the Canon cameras, Canon binoculars are only on 'Special Order' at Camera Land. Don't think that augurs well for the binocular business.

Unlike the Canon cameras, Canon binoculars are only on 'Special Order' at Camera Land. Don't think that augurs well for the binocular business.

I don't think Canon sells many binoculars in any numbers, so if they
drop them, that would not be a surprise.

I have noticed on TV advertising, Nikon has ventured into the active
video camera market, the Key Mission model the first serious competition to GoPro.

The market always decides.

Jerry

Bob:

Jerry

Jerry,

That may be so if you are looking for Canon cameras but for the special orders for Canon binoculars it is not immediately self evident when you go to the binocular site to look for Canon and find that Canon is not listed. The rest of the binocular companies are listed there.

Frankly, I think that Camera Land's new website is less than friendly to use.

Bob

Quick 10x42L IS First Impressions:

Observing our yard feeders from 2m (my measured close focus) to 20m away...bird feather details, color accuracy, image resolutions and porro 3D depths are impressive. From 100 to 200m, static views are very natural and clear while finding hand holding stability "without IS" less shaky than even my 10x50 SV's! 500 to 1000m landscape scenes are extremely natural with presentations that look just 10X closer than my normal unaided 20\15 vision acuity. I'm acclimated to holding 1000g 10x50's pretty steady, so when I add IS to any of the above scenes, the hand held images are rock solid with minute clarity of details, sharpness and resolution that escapes non-IS glassing. It is as if the 10x42L was mounted on a tripod with No shake!

Watched yesterday evening thousands of Purple Martins feasting like little jets in the atmosphere above us. Then, turned attention to the half moon waxing at 11 o'clock in the clear cool skies at dusk. What Amazing clarity, detail and depth with the 10x42L hand-held IS views! Craters, hills, shadows and dusty regions appeared as if I could reach out and touch...WOW|8.| :t:

Will be birding along the Natches Trace this weekend, putting the 10x42L through more trials and test...will report it's further virtues and any unknown shortcomings!

Ted

Last edited:
Suppressor,

I understand you had and sold the 12x50 SV, and now have the 10x42L IS. I own and use the 10x50SV, but also thinking of picking up a Canon 10x42L. Optically, do you think the Canon would be equal to the gorgeous, easy on the eyes, optical quality and excellent FOV of the Swaro I have?

Appreciate any comments or suggestions you can offer!

Ted
I sold my Swaro 10x50 SV and kept the Canon 10x42 IS-L. The Canon is overall a better binocular.

I sold my Swaro 10x50 SV and kept the Canon 10x42 IS-L. The Canon is overall a better binocular.

Dennis,

This is debatable (but so are any other comparative optics, IMHO ;)).

However, I'll save my overall "opinions" for a later review. But suffice to say at this juncture, my 10x50 SV will remain in my optic arsenal of choices!

Ted

Dennis,

This is debatable (but so are any other comparative optics, IMHO ;)).

However, I'll save my overall "opinions" for a later review. But suffice to say at this juncture, my 10x50 SV will remain in my optic arsenal of choices!

Ted
You WILL sell the 10x50 SV once the Canon 10x42 IS-L makes you realize how much you are shaking! No glare with the Canon like the Swaro and the focus is smooth and doesn't stick like the big Swaro.:-O:

Last edited:
You WILL sell the 10x50 SV once the Canon 10x42 IS-L makes you realize how much you are shaking! No glare with the Canon like the Swaro and the focus is smooth and doesn't stick like the big Swaro.:-O:

10x: Stabilized makes a very obvious difference IME, unless you use the bins on a tripod or monopod most or all of the time. However, in some cases even a handheld, unstabilized 10x makes a difference if you want to ID a bird that's flying past. IF Canon had a +/- 4 diopter adjustment range, I'd have gone for Canon long ago. Alas, they only have +/-3 diopters.

8x: The stabilizer isn't quite so important, I can hold an 8x binocular pretty still, even for longer periods of time. AND the weight of e.g. an 8x32 is far lower than that of a 10x42, and I still have a 4mm exit pupil. (10x32s don't work for me due to the small exit pupil.)

Veiling glare: I actually think the bigger Swaroivisions aren't that bad. Alright, not as good as e.g. the Zeiss HT or the Leicas, especially the Noctivid, but quite clearly better than the Swarovision 8x32. The Leica 8x32 kills the Swarovision with regard to veiling glare.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back