• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax to update its DSLRs (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Pentax is coming out with a K200D and a K20D.
see: http://www.dpreview.com/

But note that no one has posted that here, and no dicussion has started, whereas the same (actually more recent) announcement for a new Canon camera has already filled almost two pages here on BF. I think that tells a lot about what type of person is buying which camera. Particularly so, because most comments there reflect some kind of frustration one way or another!

I've checked out the specs for the two new Pentax bods and believe that they maybe they're on winners with the new Samsung sensors and supposed low noise at high ISOs although I think I'd still habitually avoid going as high as 6400. No changes to the AF makes me flinch alhtough if more firmware was available for the K10 I may have had an easier ride with my FA* 400mm.
The most important new release that interests me is the water/dust (weather) proof 300mm F4 lens with SDM. Finally an SDM fixed tele for the K10 a year after I got it. At just a kilogram I'd enjoy using such a set-up for a 'walk and pan' system (be it at about 460mm at 35mm film equ.). Especially in the non-stop winter snows or 90% summer humidity of northern Japan. It is a little more yen than Nikon and Canon's counterparts but with less weight and weathersealing.
Interestingly however, to buy the Pentax K20 + 300mmf4 SDM will be about the same as a Nikon D300 + 70-300mm f5.6 VR. Or I guess Canon D40 or soon to be newey-er option and lens) The VR of the Nikon lens is fun to use when panning even when not taking a shot. -just looking at subjects passing-by.
Impatient, I bought the latter on Dec 31 and have been enjoying it for "walk and pan" but run for cover with every abundant down-pour.
As an Adobe Creative Suite CS2 user for my professional needs, I still find Pentax's DNG raw option as more global for my needs and find Nikon's NEF raw somewhat flightless and restricted to its own little island. I have been using the D300 j-peg only.
Also when getting a Pentax DSLR in Japan, when installing the software -which includes viewing and editing, it politely asks "Which language do you want"? Receiving the Nikon package with 'bonus' Capture NX. I got Japanese only and have been chasing my tail for a month seeking support. Though, I guess and understand as a bonus inclusion that they, "Don't have to".
I miss the the early 1990s when one could buy a Pentax Z-1 or Nikon F4 and think only about upgrading because of the digital revolution. I will stick with the K10 til the next decade.

Particularly so, because most comments there reflect some kind of frustration one way or another!

SB,

I think your right in many ways; we need another player in the mix between Canon and Nikon. I’ve still got all my Pentax film cameras and lenses so I’m looking keenly at this announcement, because I would like to have a full frame camera. Nikon’s D3 is a lovely camera but £3K+ at the moment is a lot of money.

I don’t know too much about the Pentax spec or costs, but we do use a Samsung NV as a ‘proofing camera’. The image quality is absolutely brilliant.

I can’t change from Nikon, but I like the idea of having two concurrent systems of DX and FF.

I’ve been hoping that Pentax would rediscover its drive and ambition again.

Last edited:
But note that no one has posted that here, and no dicussion has started, whereas the same (actually more recent) announcement for a new Canon camera has already filled almost two pages here on BF.

Canon have had three strengths for bird/sports photographers: high-ISO-low-noise CMOS sensors, fast-focusing (stabilized) tele-USM-lenses and comparatively fast serial shooting. Now, Sony Nikon and Pentax/Samsung all seem to have caught up and maybe even surpassed Canon in sensor technology, but fast (aperture and focusing) lenses and shutter still make Canon a very strong player in bird photography market. With this reputation they are even able to sell cheap plastic bodies with lousy viewfinders and weak shutter mechanics ;).

Pentax, on the other hand, shows that they have purposely made some design compromises in the K10/20D bodies that indicate that they are not primarily targeted to birding markets: simple focusing algorithms, "only" 3 fps, motor-focused lenses don't have that faster "ring-USM", no tele lens >300mm. However, the K20D seems to have extremely good image quality and if the camera is as competetively priced as the K10D was, it offers much better value than eg. the Canon 40D in almost any area of photography - except bird photography. And now that the shift from CCD to CMOS is made, it is reasonable to expect improvements in speed in the next generations of KX0Ds. Even the "current" K20D is able to take 20fps bursts in LiveView mode at low resolution - it will be only a matter of electronics to make this work at full resolution.

Hopefully Hoya/Samsung money helps Pentax to become competitive to the big two - IMO they have already done quite well compared to Sony and the 4/3 camp.

Best regards,

Ilkka

ps. I wouldn't hold my breath on a full-frame Pentax, because no roadmap shows any full-frame lenses - and there are still some DX lenses to be released that have been waited for a long time.

ps. I wouldn't hold my breath on a full-frame Pentax, because no roadmap shows any full-frame lenses - and there are still some DX lenses to be released that have been waited for a long time.

Iporali

This is the odd thing, some reports state a FF, and others say DX. I don’t quite know which to believe.

As usual we will have to wait until the official announcement. But, you’re probably right on DX, which is a shame.

This is the odd thing, some reports state a FF, and others say DX. I don’t quite know which to believe.

As usual we will have to wait until the official announcement. But, you’re probably right on DX, which is a shame.

pe'rigin,

I believe something "larger" may well be coming, but I have no idea when or whether it will be quite FF. They have confirmed that the naming KXD (K1D probably first) is reserved for their "professional" line. Right now I am just happy that with their new CMOS sensor (in collaboration with Samsung) they have been able to increase the number of pixels (by 50%) AND at the same time reduce high-ISO noise - and seriously challenge Sony & Canon.

IMO Pentax still do have drive and ambition ... and maybe together with Hoya and Samsung they even have resources to yet again become a major player in photography.

Ilkka

IMO Pentax still do have drive and ambition ... and maybe together with Hoya and Samsung they even have resources to yet again become a major player in photography.

Let's hope so, anything to just ease off the Nikon and Canon rivalry argument.

The K200D seems very close in most respects to the K10D. It also uses AA batteries which is certainly very convenient. Though most observers are concentrating on the K20D with its higher megapixels and CMOS sensor, the K200D, might well become the star performer for a fair number of Pentax users. Of course, we should await the reviews.
Chhayanat

The K200D seems very close in most respects to the K10D. It also uses AA batteries which is certainly very convenient. Though most observers are concentrating on the K20D with its higher megapixels and CMOS sensor, the K200D, might well become the star performer for a fair number of Pentax users. Of course, we should await the reviews.
Chhayanat

The possibility of being able to use AA or other widely available standard batteries has long been a major selling argument for me. Meanwhile, I have come to realise that Li-ion batteries hold their charge so much better that I rather buy a camera with that feature. All too often, my cameras had been virtually out of power before I even started using them, just because I had not used them for a while and thought they were still fully charged. Also, the fully charged Li-ion block has a much higher capacity, compared to similar sized NiMH batteries. It would be ideal if Li-ion technology became available for the standard sizes like AA etc. So far, to my knowledge, only long-life Li batteries are available which can't be recharged.

Get LSD!

All too often, my cameras had been virtually out of power before I even started using them, just because I had not used them for a while and thought they were still fully charged.

Even at the risk of being inappropriate or going OT, I would like to shout this out loud to everyone still using those old NiMH rechargeables. There has happened a technological revolution - already for a couple of years ago - that for some reason seems to have gone almost unnoticed:

"LOW SELF-DISCHARGE" NiMH BATTERIES!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_self-discharge_NiMH_battery

They are "pre-charged", 2100mAH cells which keep something like 85% of their charge for 1 YEAR. They are also much more tolerant to low temperatures than the normal NiMH-AAs, they can be charged with normal chargers and they are not much more expensive. For me they have completely eliminated any downside I can imagine about the NiMHs - and they beat the Li-ions hands down.

Only those who need more than 2100mAH for a very short time, may benefit from the high-capacity >2500mAH cells. Already after one week or so, the LSD batteries have more charge than the nominally higher capacity cells. You can keep all the backup batteries charged and they are immediately ready for use.

Best regards,

Ilkka

I have been using the type of NIMH batteries Ilkka mentions. They really are much better than regular NIMHs and the hold-a-charge technology really seems to work. In the USA, the brands I know of are Sanyo Eneloop and Rayovac Hybrid batteries. If I didn't have so many sets of regular NIMHs, I'd switch over to the new type completely.

Even at the risk of being inappropriate or going OT, I would like to shout this out loud to everyone still using those old NiMH rechargeables. There has happened a technological revolution - already for a couple of years ago - that for some reason seems to have gone almost unnoticed:

"LOW SELF-DISCHARGE" NiMH BATTERIES!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_self-discharge_NiMH_battery

They are "pre-charged", 2100mAH cells which keep something like 85% of their charge for 1 YEAR. They are also much more tolerant to low temperatures than the normal NiMH-AAs, they can be charged with normal chargers and they are not much more expensive. For me they have completely eliminated any downside I can imagine about the NiMHs - and they beat the Li-ions hands down.

Only those who need more than 2100mAH for a very short time, may benefit from the high-capacity >2500mAH cells. Already after one week or so, the LSD batteries have more charge than the nominally higher capacity cells. You can keep all the backup batteries charged and they are immediately ready for use.

Best regards,

Ilkka

This is truly great news to me! Thanks Ilkka. I think 2100mAH should be sufficient in most cases, certainly for my purposes. Now, if I only knew where to get them locally. But I'll be in the US in May, I'll keep an eye out for them if I have not found them by then.

Addition: I just checked the Wickipedia link. Seems I should have no problem finding these new types here in Switzerland. What puzzles me, though, is why did I not know about this for so long.

Last edited:
Seems I should have no problem finding these new types here in Switzerland.

Yes, they are actually quite commonly available. I have bought two sets of Varta Ready2Go:s and one set of GB ReCycko:s - all in different stores and they seem to work just as well. I read somewhere that in fact many of these different brands are produced by the same manufacturer.

What puzzles me, though, is why did I not know about this for so long.

Same here ;). It does look like not even the salespersons are aware of them - and this was the very reason why I felt it necessary to shamelessly promote them here. Hope they'll work for you as well as they have worked for me. :t:

Ilkka

....Same here ;). It does look like not even the salespersons are aware of them - and this was the very reason why I felt it necessary to shamelessly promote them here. Hope they'll work for you as well as they have worked for me. :t:

Ilkka

Thank you once more, Ilkka. That's why I think such forums like BF are so great. I have today asked in the store where I usually buy things like batteries. And the salesperson also had no knowledge. Thus, I need to look further. But I am confident to find them. Maybe, some of our chain-stores have stocked too many of the older version? Or they are tied to certain manufacturers who don't provide the newer product.

Last edited:
I've checked out the specs for the two new Pentax bods and believe that they maybe they're on winners with the new Samsung sensors and supposed low noise at high ISOs although I think I'd still habitually avoid going as high as 6400. No changes to the AF makes me flinch alhtough if more firmware was available for the K10 I may have had an easier ride with my FA* 400mm.
The most important new release that interests me is the water/dust (weather) proof 300mm F4 lens with SDM. Finally an SDM fixed tele for the K10 a year after I got it. At just a kilogram I'd enjoy using such a set-up for a 'walk and pan' system (be it at about 460mm at 35mm film equ.). Especially in the non-stop winter snows or 90% summer humidity of northern Japan. It is a little more yen than Nikon and Canon's counterparts but with less weight and weathersealing.
Interestingly however, to buy the Pentax K20 + 300mmf4 SDM will be about the same as a Nikon D300 + 70-300mm f5.6 VR. Or I guess Canon D40 or soon to be newey-er option and lens) The VR of the Nikon lens is fun to use when panning even when not taking a shot. -just looking at subjects passing-by.
Impatient, I bought the latter on Dec 31 and have been enjoying it for "walk and pan" but run for cover with every abundant down-pour.
As an Adobe Creative Suite CS2 user for my professional needs, I still find Pentax's DNG raw option as more global for my needs and find Nikon's NEF raw somewhat flightless and restricted to its own little island. I have been using the D300 j-peg only.
Also when getting a Pentax DSLR in Japan, when installing the software -which includes viewing and editing, it politely asks "Which language do you want"? Receiving the Nikon package with 'bonus' Capture NX. I got Japanese only and have been chasing my tail for a month seeking support. Though, I guess and understand as a bonus inclusion that they, "Don't have to".
I miss the the early 1990s when one could buy a Pentax Z-1 or Nikon F4 and think only about upgrading because of the digital revolution. I will stick with the K10 til the next decade.
Just as a side comment Sigma have announced a 120-400 HSM and a 150-500 HSM for pentax mount for SDM bodies :t:

But note that no one has posted that here, and no dicussion has started, whereas the same (actually more recent) announcement for a new Canon camera has already filled almost two pages here on BF. I think that tells a lot about what type of person is buying which camera. Particularly so, because most comments there reflect some kind of frustration one way or another!

I have the k20D with battery grip coming this thursday.

My first and only Pentax has been the *ist DL and it has worked well for me.
My main complaint is that I wished it had a true pentaprism because all my work is done with manual focus. I don't use conventional telephotos but only shoot through scopes at prime focus or with a barlow.

The bigger sensor should help also.

Anyway time will tell.

A few recent shots through the "old" pentax...

Attachments

• PECKER16.jpg
    PECKER16.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 150
  • vul ture 1.jpg
    vul ture 1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 145
  • catbird09.jpg
    catbird09.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 148
  • grackle 2.jpg
    grackle 2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Tananger07.jpg
    Tananger07.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 137
Samsung GX-20D

For those with the dosh to buy a K20D, might want to look at the badge equivalent. It is being sold for £630 and with the current £75 cashback this brings it back to £555. A lot better than the £799 some want for the Pentax version.

I have the k20D with battery grip coming this thursday.

My first and only Pentax has been the *ist DL and it has worked well for me.
My main complaint is that I wished it had a true pentaprism because all my work is done with manual focus. I don't use conventional telephotos but only shoot through scopes at prime focus or with a barlow.

The bigger sensor should help also.

Anyway time will tell.

A few recent shots through the "old" pentax...

Those are gorgeous images!

What is your kit like? What scope?

Thanks as always,

Ray

Those are gorgeous images!

What is your kit like? What scope?

Thanks as always,

Ray

Ray,
I use different scopes for different purposes.
I think all the pics I just posted were taken with an Astro-Tech 560mm FL APO triplet.

See pic (it's the white one on the right)

Attachments

• scope collection Nov 3. 2007.jpg
    scope collection Nov 3. 2007.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 138
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back