• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 150 - 500 on Canon 450D (1 Viewer)

Geoff Haynes

Hello, Has anyone on the forum used the 150-500 with the Canon 450D ?
I have just purchased the sigma to go with my 450D but have not had a chance to try it out yet.
I am looking for advice on camera settings please , I am relatively new to digital SLR cameras , so i am still learning!
Any photo's taken would be nice with the camera settings shown.
Whould i be better to use this setup on a monopod ? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks , Geoff.

Hello, Has anyone on the forum used the 150-500 with the Canon 450D ?
I have just purchased the sigma to go with my 450D but have not had a chance to try it out yet.
I am looking for advice on camera settings please , I am relatively new to digital SLR cameras , so i am still learning!
Any photo's taken would be nice with the camera settings shown.
Whould i be better to use this setup on a monopod ? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks , Geoff.
Hi Geoff,
Either a tripod or monopod will help and I think you switch the anti shake off when fitted to tripods etc.
Cheers
Brian

If shooting from a reserve hide,then a beanbag works well same principal shooting from a car too.

Steve.

Hi Geoff,

I haven't got a 450D but a few settings generally used are -

AV mode, set to f8 and leave it there as this will give the best sharpness.
ISO 400
AI Servo
Low speed Continuous shooting
Partial Metering
Centre Point AF
Standard Picture Style
Daylight White Balance
Jpg large, RAW will give better results but downloads and conversion times are very slow in comparison and your images will need some post-processing,
use Jpg until you've got used to your DSLR then move to RAW.
EV Compensation -0.33 as basic, but use + values in poor light and - in good light.
These will get you up and running but play around with other settings to get familiar with what they do.

Don't use the OS system when mounted on a tripod, it'll only throw the focus out.

You're best friend at the moment is your User Manual ;)

Keep your eye on the other 150-500 thread and you should pick up a few tips as it goes along. I could also say the same about looking at other Canon threads, there's lots of information there if you look for it.

Cheers

John

Use RAW from day one. If you don't want to spend time post processing in the beginning, then shoot JPG+RAW. Otherwise you will end up regretting that you only have some of your first great shots in JPG - been there, done that.

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back