• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi From SE England (1 Viewer)

lynwill53

Hello Birders of the world. I will say now that I am not a really serious birder, certainly not a twitcher! But I do enjoy seeing and identifying birds, especially when I holiday abroad and see something new to me. I wish I had known of this site after my holiday to Egypt last winter, when I came back full of ID questions, all of which have now been answered.

Such as:- Why have some of those Yellow Wagtails got black caps? (It was just a regional variation in the males), and what was that gorgeous slate-blue Egret hanging around with all the white Egrets? (It was a Western Reef Heron) And what were those spectacular black-and-white chequered birds whizzing about on the Nile? (Pied Kingfishers, quite common apparently). The birdlife on the First Cataract Reserve on the Nile at Aswan is pretty amazing!

The reason I came on here is that I googled Wild Canary, which led me to your thread called "Unknown Bird Song - Greece", which, although it is an old thread, I am going to post on, because I have just spent a week in Greece being serenaded from dawn to dusk (and beyond into the night!), by these fantastic little birds with a fabulous song range!! They made my holiday special:t:, and I have information on them to share.

I hope my contributions will not be too boring for the more expert birders on here. I am interested generally in any wildlife, be it plants, animals, birds or even fish! I don't go out with binoculars (never seem able to focus before birds fly off!;)), just a country lover. Even have a distinct lack of birds in my garden due to my :cat:

But I live in an area of open heathland and pine forests, so I hope that when I have found my way around the forums I will have stuff to contribute. Cheers!o:D

Hi lynwill53,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

Sounds like you had a great time in Egypt :t:

Welcome lynwill53

There are a fair few sub-species of Yellow Wagtail. In the UK we get the "base model". Over the Channel you see the blue headed version, there's an "ashy headed" and several others. Have a delve among the photo gallery. I'm sure you'll find all of them somewhere. :t:

Hi lynwill and welcome to BirdForum. I'm sure you will find lots to interest you here as we have animal and plant sub-forums as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back