• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 500mm EX HSM F4.5 (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
HI, Can anyone give me some info & first hand experience about the sigma 500mm ex hsm f4.5 lens & If Its a good lens. I am going to use It with my 40D camera. Thanks..

Sean

Hi Sean

I bought this lens a few months ago and am very happy with it, it is very sharp. We would all like the Canon 500mm but the Sigma is a very good second best. I assume you are asking because you have seen one in the for sale section for £1250, in my opinion this is a bargain, the seller has also confirmed that it will auto focus with a 1.4 converter with pins taped which isn't always the case. I think the main benefit of the Canon is IS which will give you more keepers especially with a converter attached, but at around £4000 second hand you will have to pay an extra £2750!!! I ought to add my Sigma is the DG version, but from what I have read on forums there isn't a noticeable difference.

The first two attachments were taken without a converter, the other two with a canon 1.4 converter (which isn't much different in quality to the Kenko pro converter)

Thanks
Nick

Attachments

• 111510523.VbMXR9xb.BlackneckedGrebe090419303.jpg
    111510523.VbMXR9xb.BlackneckedGrebe090419303.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 109975276.HjRIUFyk.Redshank090308287.jpg
    109975276.HjRIUFyk.Redshank090308287.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 110330822.5Dro6CZs.Siskin090317002.jpg
    110330822.5Dro6CZs.Siskin090317002.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 274
  • 110843424.ZcDrr56S.Dunnock090401029.jpg
    110843424.ZcDrr56S.Dunnock090401029.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
yes it's a good lens, I had one for a couple of years and was always very pleased with it. I used mine with a 1.4x tc with the pins taped and was happy with the AF speed and the image quality. It's a big bit of glass and you'll need to put it on a decent tripod to get the best out of it.

My 2 pence is that it's a good 'un. I'm Nikon (sorry) but at the right time and the right place it does the job admirably and amazes me time and time again - did I do that???

I don't know how it compares to the more expensive Canon and Nikon lenses of a similar focal length but I'm always impressed by it's results (the bad photos are down to me) and is worth the investment ie. it's cheaper than the 'camera' versions and if you get one for £1250 then it's a bargin and I don't doubt you'll wish you'd bought one years ago.

And for all those that say it's a beast to lug around then 'balderdash' I say. That said it does need a good tripod to get the best out of it, though it isn't impossible to handhold in good conditions but it's also not a walkaround lens in comparison to it's lighter zoom cousins. That might sound like a contradiction but I hope you know what I mean.

Hope that helps.

Ian

I think the lens , provided it is sound in regard to optics and working parts is superb and the IQ should meet your needs.

Below is a full frame of little stint taken with the 20D...no work done on levels or colour saturation. I have resharpened to to the equivenant (in my eyes) of what the image was before compressed so in effect it will take further sharpening but in truth does not need it. I also attach a 100% crop. If you wish me to send you a full size image then let me have your e-mail address and I will forward it to you.

AD

Attachments

• NORFOLK 7th & 8th October 2006 No4 Originals 196a.jpg
    NORFOLK 7th & 8th October 2006 No4 Originals 196a.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 264
  • NORFOLK 7th & 8th October 2006 No4 Originals 196.jpg
    NORFOLK 7th & 8th October 2006 No4 Originals 196.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 278
hello guys, Can anyone recommend a bag to carry the sigma 500mm, perhaps something thats not expensive, Ive seen the Lowepro 600 but thats over £200, Is there anything a bit cheaper, It dont have to be a rucksack, just something to carry the lens about in... Regards.

Sean..

Bought a used but like new lowepro photo trekker off eBay, keep an eye out for a good buy

Canonman77,
I thought you were in line for getting a 300/2.8?
Was looking forward to seeing some pics with it as I am looking at getting a 300.

hi Gaz shilton, I was in theory, but Its just out of my reach at the moment & the reviews on the sigma are fantastic & so are the pics, also I have been practising NOT using the Image Stabiliser on my 100-400 & my pics are not as bad as I first feared they would be. I may get a 300 f2.8 in the future & lets face It the Sigma Is a cracking lens as well. Are you any nearer to the 300 f2.8 lens then Gaz?

Sean.

hello guys, Can anyone recommend a bag to carry the sigma 500mm, perhaps something thats not expensive, Ive seen the Lowepro 600 but thats over £200, Is there anything a bit cheaper, It dont have to be a rucksack, just something to carry the lens about in... Regards.

Sean..

I used a Lowepro Phototrakker when I had the 500 f4.5, I've since changed to the Tamrac Expendition 8 which I far prefer - http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/243/cat/26/limit/recent/date/1187216067

hi Gaz shilton, I was in theory, but Its just out of my reach at the moment & the reviews on the sigma are fantastic & so are the pics, also I have been practising NOT using the Image Stabiliser on my 100-400 & my pics are not as bad as I first feared they would be. I may get a 300 f2.8 in the future & lets face It the Sigma Is a cracking lens as well. Are you any nearer to the 300 f2.8 lens then Gaz?

Sean.

If all keeps going to plan, then around September time I shall put my final 'shopping list' together.
My original plan of getting the 500/f4 has changed slightly.
The 300/f2.8 with all the gear I think I will need to go with it comes close to £6K. The 500 on its own comes close to that, so it's a no- brainer for me.
Hope it's the right choice as it is a lot of money to spend.
Though I have been deliberating for nigh on a year now so all the review reading and decision making has been done.

ive got my sigma 500mm lens today & i am well chuffed with it, cant wait to try it out for real, Its a bit heavy but i will get used to it, will post some shots soon..

thanks for all your thoughts, advice, It really helped.

sean.(just need a tripod, head & a bag now)..

ive got my sigma 500mm lens today & i am well chuffed with it, cant wait to try it out for real, Its a bit heavy but i will get used to it, will post some shots soon..

thanks for all your thoughts, advice, It really helped.

sean.(just need a tripod, head & a bag now)..

Good luck Sean. If it was the one from Dave it will have been well looked after :t:

hi Marcus, It Is the one from Dave & It has been well looked after. Just waiting for my waterproof covers, bag, etc-etc...

Regards.
sean.

hi, does anyone know where I can get a lens cap (objective end) from for the sigma 500mm, its not a cap as such but I do need a cover/cap to protect the glass & i dont know where to get one from..

sean.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back