• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choughs again! (1 Viewer)

Thanks Frank...

Great photos. The Choughs were probably the highlight of my visit to Pembrokeshire last year. Fantastic!

Great shots of that lovely bird.
Just had a quick perouse of your pbase portfolio, and you have some great pictures on there.

Thanks! Thanks for the comments Steve. Funnily enough, last night I sent seven or eight of the puffin shots off to a magazine. I had sent them some small files, and they liked them, and want to publish four or five of them, so had asked me for some larger file sizes. I guess they'll be in the July edition of their magazine. They were all taken on Skomer, and I went to go over there again yesterday, but there were no sailings, they were counting the birds. :-(

Frank,
don't do yourself down, those are very nice shots. I'm visiting Skomer at the weekend and would like to see some chough - are there any particularly good areas along the coasts nearby??
James

James Lowther said:
Frank,
don't do yourself down, those are very nice shots. I'm visiting Skomer at the weekend and would like to see some chough - are there any particularly good areas along the coasts nearby??
James

James, you will probably see choughs on the island itself, but where I saw these, was close to Pembroke, which is abour 40 mins from where you leave for Skomer. I don't know the area close to the island too well, or indeed if there are many choughs there. If you want more details, let me know. I can't promise they'll be there, but it's unusual not to see them. Part of the coastline is military land, used for tank firing, and you cannot access it during the week, only weekends, and very often many seem to hide there! But where I was yesterday is accesible all the time. Only about a 20 min walk from the carpark.
You should be OK on Saturday, the boats have not been running all week due to a bird count. Pretty sure they start tomorrow. You can always check with Dale Sailing, the firm that operate the trips, 01646 603123. "The Wick" is the best place on the island for puffins, someone has said they saw quite a few at the Garland Stone as well.
For a preview of what you might see on the island, http://www.pbase.com/abwhitt/recent_stuff
Regards
Frank

I've just spend a fortnight close to Hell's Mouth on the Lleyn Peninsula in north-west Wales. I had no idea there were choughs there, but the farmer who owns the house where we stayed said there were 15 of the birds on his land. We often saw and heard them during the fortnight and they flew over the hills at the southern end of Hell's Mouth several times.

QUOTE=James Lowther]Frank,
James[/QUOTE]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back