• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandy Ridge, N. Ridgeville, Ohio (1 Viewer)

weather

Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow
Sam and I headed to our old standby and where reminded why it's our favorite patch....

Sandy Ridge
6/4/04
Observers: Sam and I
--------------------------------------
33 species.

Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)
Rusty Blackbird (Euphagus carolinus)
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus)
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)
Belted Kingfisher (Ceryle alcyon)
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)
Great Egret (Ardea alba)
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)
American Coot (Fulica americana)
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)
Green Heron (Butorides virescens)
Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)
Ruddy Duck (Oxyura jamaicensis)
Sora (Porzana carolina)
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris) Notes: Heard only
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula)
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)

Mike

Eastern Kingbird

Attachments

• P6040011.JPG
    P6040011.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 156
Beverly,

We might be coming down to your neck of the woods next fall. We're planning a trip to see the Sandhill Cranes at Jasper Pulaski.

Mike

Do let me know when you're going -- I try to get there every fall, although I'm not always successful. :( But do remember that it's sunset when you'll want to be there, to see those thousands and thousands of cranes flying in to their evening roost.

Otherwise, the cranes are out away from the marsh and out feeding.

Unfortunately, there is next-to-nothing in the way of accomodations in the immediate area. There are a couple of itty-bitty small town motels within about a 10 mile radius, but if you're planning to stay overnight (and you may want to), check out accomodations in Winamac, Michigan City, Knox, or Rochester.

It'll be a long drive for you, I'm afraid. I'm in Fort Wayne, about 4 - 4 1/2 hours from Cleveland. And JP is 125 due west of me, another 2 hours. But it'll be fairly direct: just take I-80/90 west to Michigan City, head south on US 421 about 35-40 miles, and you're there!

But, I promise, it's worth the drive! Birding through the day at JP can be pretty good, and there's some other places fairly close by that can be terrific, too, like Kankakee FWA (to the northeast), Kankakee Sands (TNC) and Willow Slough FWA (west), and, of course, the Dunes (north).

When are you thinking about coming over? Late October -early November are the best for maximum crane numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back