• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice for digiscoping with spt scope or tele (1 Viewer)

falconer2

hi, i'm a real nebie when it comes to digiscoping .. i've never tried it. i have been reading some of the threads today and thought i'd post here.
i'm trying to decide whether i should use a celestron spotting scope Regal 80 fed
or a black diamond skywatcher 100 mm telescope. i've tried reading some of the reviews but it seems that i'll have to add lenses, macro lens, t2 ring before i even start ringing up quite a total bill.
i have a 1.4 et canon and a 7d canon with a 100-400 mm telephoto lens already and am wondering if i'm on the right track trying out digiscoping. i would only use it i think for shore birds and eagles and hawks and the like. i'm lost about deciding if i should stick to the equipment i have or progress. i really don't know the pros and cons between my short list of celestron or skywatcher.
if some one could help me, thanks.
Eb

Hi Eb
Welcome to BF :t:
I am a beginner as well, so do not know too much, dont despair, there are alot of really good people on this forum and am sure they will be along soon with lots of ideas for you!!.
TC

i've tried reading some of the reviews but it seems that i'll have to add lenses, macro lens, t2 ring before i even start ringing up quite a total bill.

Hi Eb,

Welcome to the forum. I presume the part I quoted is what you would need to use on the Regal F-ED as these wouldn't be needed on the astro scope. Also would you need the 900mm focal length Skywatcher 100ED instead of say the 80mm 600mm one that most of us use? Using a dslr, if you went for the Regal 80mm F-ED spotting scope then the Skywatcher 80ED astro scope would give you pretty much the same in terms of usable photographical magnification. The Skywatcher 80ED or the 100ED would be way ahead in terms of image quality too.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

As per my newbie post yesterday on the setup thread, the problem I find with birdforum is that it is very hard to judge the quality of photos posted - pehaps this is a file size issue.
It is hard not to get inspired by the results from super teles when I visit the FredMiranda's Nature forum or Art Morris' site or bird-photgraphers-onthe-net hence some confusion for those starting out on bird photography.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Paul,

As per my newbie post yesterday on the setup thread, the problem I find with birdforum is that it is very hard to judge the quality of photos posted - pehaps this is a file size issue.
It is hard not to get inspired by the results from super teles when I visit the FredMiranda's Nature forum or Art Morris' site or bird-photgraphers-onthe-net hence some confusion for those starting out on bird photography.

Cheers
Mark

There's quite a few 100% crops posted throughout the astro scope forum. Let us know what you would like to see and some of is might be able to help.

Paul.

i tried the skywatcher, yesterday but it was very heavy and attached to manfrotto and jobu head for a 65 year old to heavy despite fairly good images. the celstron is coming into town in about a week and i'll try that.
thanks for advice. anything i should know about the regal 80 f-ed would be helpful.
thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back