• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who stocks Meopta bins in the UK? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
I've just been putting together a list of mid price roofs and started thinking about these Meoptas, trouble is even some of the best stocked dealers don't always have even the most popular brands so hunting down a relative newcomer for demonstration is quite difficult.

Following leicas price increase and the fact that secondhand models are not always available when you have sufficient funds I've put together the following list of midpriced binocs for consideration

Minox BR AD 7x42/8.5x42
Minox Highgrade 8.5x43
Swarovski 8x30
Meopta meostar 7x42/8x42

Particularly impressed with the meostar's spec - close focus, field of view etc
wondering how they might compare with the little swaro's and the new minox highgrades?

Matt

Last edited:
Matt[/QUOTE]
Particularly impressed with the meostar's spec - close focus, field of view etc
wondering how they might compare with the little swaro's and the new minox highgrades?

The Meostars are a little on the heavy side for some people but are very nice binoculars indeed, and offer, in my subjective view, notably superior optical performance to both the Swaro 8 x 30's and Minox HG's, especially the now getting long in the tooth Swaros. Build quality is similar to all three. Current Meopta pricing in the U.S. makes the Meostar a remarkable bargain which I suspect will not continue indefinitely (reminds me somewhat of the way under market pricing on Merkel shotguns coming into the U.S. right after the collapse of East Germany).

chartwell99 said:
The Meostars are a little on the heavy side for some people but are very nice binoculars indeed, and offer, in my subjective view, notably superior optical performance to both the Swaro 8 x 30's and Minox HG's, especially the now getting long in the tooth Swaros. Build quality is similar to all three. Current Meopta pricing in the U.S. makes the Meostar a remarkable bargain which I suspect will not continue indefinitely (reminds me somewhat of the way under market pricing on Merkel shotguns coming into the U.S. right after the collapse of East Germany).

A big fat "ditto" on Chartwell's comments with regards to the Meoptas. If you can get past their 30 oz weight then the rest of the bins are very, very good. The optical quality is right up there with the top of the line bins and they are built like the "proverbial" Trinovid. ;)

Thanks for the feedback everyone, very interesting

I'm at present awaiting delivery of some secondhand 8x32 trinovids, should have been delivered days ago so may actualy be lost in the post somewhere by now ..aaargh!!

..in which case I shall still be on the market for some mid priced roofs ;)

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back