• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whalewatch (1 Viewer)

Mabel

Dance the ghost with me
Howdy all

Been busy working and such and frankly didn't expect to get out and about for a while. So when I got a reminder on my phone that a whalewatch was going on, no-one was more surprised than me. Now, I knew there was one planned, but still, I never realised it was so soon!

Anyway, off I went to Howth, which is a headland on the east coast. A beautifully scenic part of the country. One would never think that one was twenty minutes from Dublin City. The whales were not very obliging. Harbour Porpoise were the only real sightings. Common Dolphins and the odd Bottlenose Dolphin also are present. Minke Whales are also present, and seem to be rather unreported in official circles. It seems that it is the ferry users from Dublin to Holyhead that are reporting most of them! I had the pleasure of seeing one myself during last year's whalewatch.

A Humpback Whale was reported in the area over the month, but I did not see it. Nevertheless, wildlife was all around me, and I saw three seals, one Common and two Grey. Of course I got a bit of birding in! I got my first Black Guillemot of the year, and my first ever Cory's Shearwater! Overall seabird numbers appear to be alright, but I cannot prove that scientifically.

Hope everyone is doing well, I'm catching up on threads today!

Fulmar
Herring Gull
Black-headed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Razorbill
Guillemot
Black Guillemot
Manx Shearwater
Gannet
Turnstone
Redshank
House Sparrow
Rook
Hooded Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
Bar-tailed Godwit
Woodpigeon
Feral Pigeon
Shag
Cormorant
Cory's Shearwater (lifer)

Howdy all

Been busy working and such and frankly didn't expect to get out and about for a while. So when I got a reminder on my phone that a whalewatch was going on, no-one was more surprised than me. Now, I knew there was one planned, but still, I never realised it was so soon!

Anyway, off I went to Howth, which is a headland on the east coast. A beautifully scenic part of the country. One would never think that one was twenty minutes from Dublin City. The whales were not very obliging. Harbour Porpoise were the only real sightings. Common Dolphins and the odd Bottlenose Dolphin also are present. Minke Whales are also present, and seem to be rather unreported in official circles. It seems that it is the ferry users from Dublin to Holyhead that are reporting most of them! I had the pleasure of seeing one myself during last year's whalewatch.

A Humpback Whale was reported in the area over the month, but I did not see it. Nevertheless, wildlife was all around me, and I saw three seals, one Common and two Grey. Of course I got a bit of birding in! I got my first Black Guillemot of the year, and my first ever Cory's Shearwater! Overall seabird numbers appear to be alright, but I cannot prove that scientifically.

Hope everyone is doing well, I'm catching up on threads today!

Fulmar
Herring Gull
Black-headed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Razorbill
Guillemot
Black Guillemot
Manx Shearwater
Gannet
Turnstone
Redshank
House Sparrow
Rook
Hooded Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
Bar-tailed Godwit
Woodpigeon
Feral Pigeon
Shag
Cormorant
Cory's Shearwater (lifer)

Sounds like a very good day Mabel.

Whale watching is an excellent activity and one which has perhaps given me the most emotional natural history experiences of my life. I have just put the holiday brochure down believe it or not, and I had been looking at some tours with a bit of whale watching in and wondering if I should be booking up for next year.

Nice ones with the Cory's. I need that one for my life list.

Sounds like a great trip, Mabes, and a very good list too. Glad you had a nice time.

Thanks guys! I must say it was such a great time, and even the humble Porpoise provides so much entertainment. I find them more endearing than the big guys sometimes!

As a factoid, Ireland has a third of all the cetacean species known and has good numbers of Harbour Porpoise, Fin Whales and others. The Irish Whale and Dolphin Group may be a small thing, but at least 70 folks turned up for this whalewatch so hopefully this will go from strength to strength.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back