• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (6 Viewers)

I adore those wags, quicky, jizzy, just responding to what's seen! And at the other end of the spectrum is the dove, so contemplative and carefully done. Brilliant.

Great stuff Mike - the bottom wag, page 2 is a cracker - as are the terns. Sad but lovely dove study - beautiful.

Tims already found my favourite waggy - they're all good. I could recognise them from the thumbnails before reading the text - you've got the shape and jizz perfectly.

Cheers guys, I'm enjoying hanging a bit looser with the sketching at the moment, I think I'd been trying too hard lately.

Anyhoo, I can't get out tomorrow, Beth's off to Cornwall for a week's adventuring so I'm on taxi duty.

So I nipped over to Elmley for an hour or two this morning and I'm bl**dy glad I did too.

I'd more or less resigned myself to seeing little else other than nesting avocets but the common terns were hanging about still so they went in the book and I was quite happy with that.
Then, as I was starting the walk back, I spotted a female wheatear on a gate and as I got focussed I caught a movement a bit lower down and up popped a gorgeous male whinchat! The wheatear flew off but the whinchat stayed around for quite a while, much to my delight, so I filled a couple of pages, and got a few shakey and distant shots too, chuffed to bits I am, I love whinchats and see them only rarely so it's a real treat to get one willing to pose for me. After he'd gone I walked up the gate and got some reference shots for background so I feel a painting coming on!

Oh, there were a couple of med gulls mixed in wth the blackheads too, a good day considering!

Mike

Attachments

• comterns1.jpg
    comterns1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 51
  • comterns2.jpg
    comterns2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 46
  • whin1.jpg
    whin1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 48
  • whin2.jpg
    whin2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 46
  • whin-3.jpg
    whin-3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 51
Ahhh whinchats! Haven't seen one for quite a while but these super drawings bring the memories back. Thanks for that, Mike. Some solid work with the terns too - one or two really nice postural studies. Look forward to the colour whinchat piece keenly.

Ahhh whinchats! Haven't seen one for quite a while but these super drawings bring the memories back. Thanks for that, Mike. Some solid work with the terns too - one or two really nice postural studies. Look forward to the colour whinchat piece keenly.

More congrats on the Whinchat- spring males conjure up a really strong sense of place and that's one you will remember for ages. Congrats on escaping taxi duty too- I've managed to get shot of the female wing of the family tommorrow and and am begging my son to join me on a foray up the coast, but so far no joy. I'm old enough to remember when kids (or children as they were then called) were simply told what was planned with no negotiating or indeed warning..

The big tree is now woody free and is sitting on the back burner awaiting small bird inspiration. I'm busy with a mid sized painting and between sessions I've managed a couple of trips out to Elmley to sketch the residents. Avocets are the most obvious bird at present and even I can't resist them forever. The common terns are still gracing us with thier streamlined beauty and a few blackwits have been skulking about trying to avoid being noticed and getting kicked off the scrape by the avo bully boys. Yellow wags are all over the place, singin, preening, makin whoopie etc., and sedge warlers rattle out thier asthmatic wheezes from every reedbed and ditch.

Took Beth out for a walk at her request the other day, it's a rare thing to be able to fit it in between all the rehearsals for the various performances she's got coming up so it was an opportunity to be grabbed with both hands. For someone who claims to be uninterested she seemed to get pretty excited about adding whitethroat, turtle dove and, (best of all), cuckoo to her growing list! Happy days!

Mike

Attachments

• bhol1.jpg
    bhol1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 57
  • bhol2.jpg
    bhol2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 39
  • bhol3.jpg
    bhol3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 42
  • bhol4.jpg
    bhol4.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 44
  • bhol5.jpg
    bhol5.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 44
Few more,

Attachments

• bhol6.jpg
    bhol6.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 39
  • bhol7.jpg
    bhol7.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 39
  • bhol8.jpg
    bhol8.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 51
  • bhol9.jpg
    bhol9.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 36
the hares are a triumph - you've really got these down to a tee, and the godwits are outstanding too - got to dive straight in and say that backlit avocet is just needing a frame!

OK, I've been quiet lately but I'm still working on bits and pieces. This fairly big painting is a whisker away from being finished but my good lady wife and my darling daughter have an issue with it. So I said I'd put it before you learned ladies and gents for an opinion poll. (I may still go with my gut regardless but I promised I'd ask.)

So the question is: Should the blue butterfly stay or go?

Mike

Attachments

• redwhiteblue.jpg
    redwhiteblue.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 48
It would seem that My eldest son and his girlfriend share the same opinion as the dw and dd, the pressure is building here!

Mike

no put it back....

Too late! The general consensus was that, because it was the only blue, it drew the eye too much and became a focal point detracting attention from the birds and interrupting the diagonal.

I'm ready to call it a day on this one (very nearly) so Right now I'm off to do something loose, and that has nothing to do with the curry I just ate!

Mike

Attachments

• redwhite2.jpg
    redwhite2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 48
Oi, what's going on? I've just gone back through the thread and spotted loads of stuff I either haven't seen or certainly haven't commented on. That's the trouble with only getting internet access three days a week.
So - the godwits are brilliant - there are some shapes and beautifully described forms that could be straight from Ennion's own sketchbook. There really are some beauties.
The hares are full of mad-hattersome character - those staring eyes are superb and the cocked ears tell a story.
Love this red-leg pic and I think you called it right - the blue (although gorgeous in its own right) jarrs somewhat with the warm tones which run through the painting.
Splendid work all round.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back