• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (3 Viewers)

That's a very strong composition with the 'wedge' shapes of the scrape and birds Mike ..... so er ... when are you going to paint it?!:-O:king:

Great sketching all round.

Agreee with Nick. Did you see the photo in the paper a few days ago of the hobby taking a swift ? looking forward to the fin pic.

Wish I had! I've seen them chasing martins and swallows but never swifts.

I may work up the mixed bag but the thought of painting seven birds and only one with its eye open is kinda scary!

Mike

but the thought of painting seven birds and only one with its eye open is kinda scary!

Mike
. . . the perfect reason to do it, then.
Honestly - with a drawing such as this from which to work, it can only turn out well. Superb sheets of studies.

Agreee with Nick. Did you see the photo in the paper a few days ago of the hobby taking a swift ? looking forward to the fin pic.

Just tracked down the pics Arthur, they are great images even if not technically 'good'.

I see the reporting is up to the Mail's usual high standard; '...incredibly rare to spot one of these birds in daylight....'

Where do they get these people...

Mike

I can't for the life of me get any decent shots of hobbies in flight so I'm insanely jealous of these two.

Mike

. . . the perfect reason to do it, then.
Honestly - with a drawing such as this from which to work, it can only turn out well. Superb sheets of studies.

I might have a crack at it as a larger, looser pic just as a bit of an antidote to the detailed study currently on the go. I see an evening of vodka, coke and splodgy brushes coming up!

Mike

I can't for the life of me get any decent shots of hobbies in flight so I'm insanely jealous of these two.

Mike

that's why us lot use pencils! And being an amateur alcoholic myself, I drunkenly commend the news that the wader group shall be executed with big brushes and vodka!

I've been working on this for a couple of weeks so I thought I'd share it here. Now I know it's another bird on a stick, but these studies are popular and I need a new eyepiece so...

Off on hols end of next week! Look out Arthur, Mike's coming to Norfolk! It could be time to get the waterproof coats out again!

Nice, if quiet, trip out to Elmley this morning, I'll post the sketches a bit later.

Mike

Attachments

• high-summer-hobby.jpg
    high-summer-hobby.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 58
Another masterpiece from the House of Woody......How long you away, Hell its going to be quiet, Just hope Messrs Tim & Nick can keep their energies up and keep producing the goods till you come back..... Ill look forward to the 'Book of sketches' upon yer return..

As mentioned elsewhere - a wonderful piece of portraiture with that added slice of atmosphere elevating this from the 'bird on a stick' to a sensitive and almost tender study of the individual bird. Lovely.
Er - sorry Andy - I'll be off touring the highlands. Just watch the news for the weather warnings!

I vote we have bright sunshine for the whole of the UK for the next three weeks. :t:

Just the week Andy, then home for another week after..B :):king:

Thanks Tim, have a great time wandering the highlands, I'm sure you'll bring us back a 'bag' full of goodies. (Or should that be 'Goldies'?).

Here are today's scribbles, lapwings, turnstones and common sand. I just realised that the middle lappy has a TV aerial on its head and one wooden leg! Which is strange 'cos you would have thought I would have seen that sooner!

Mike

Attachments

• lpwngs1.jpg
    lpwngs1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 47
  • lpwngs2.jpg
    lpwngs2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 37
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 32
  • tnstn1.jpg
    tnstn1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Lappie / Teletubby..? what a strange offspring...Nick / Arthur et al, ....- Its all down to you to keep producing whilst these two are away galivanting the highlands and lowlands....

Excellent painting of the Hobby Mike - great sheets of field sketches too - hardly the weather for it down here, constant wind and drizzle this weekend!

Hi Mike a cracking portrait of one of my favourite birds, love the scribbles too.

Grandchildren here to keep me busy all next week. Off to Scotland the week after Mike for Civic Week in Coldstream on the river Tweed, so you might pick up some nice weather,anyway enjoy.

Andrew Nick and the othersmay be here while I'me imbibing in the amber liquid over the water.

what a beautiful bird Mike, I've never seen one, the colors are superb, and how you do such detail is beyond me....how long did it take to do it.... I love the freshness of the lapwing sketches...another bird I've never seen, I think they are "old world" birds.

fantastic painting mike...been wanting to carve one of these birds for a long time , must pay a visit to the local museum and see if they have one...mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back