• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (2 Viewers)

Oh yes! Very nice indeed, Mike. These have an almost illustrative quality to them (is it the soft lead or your deft touch?) but still ooze life. I'll echo the sentiments here about them being difficult to resist; they have it all: lovely bold patterns, great shapes, including almost angular heads and a wispy crest plus, for you painters, very subtle hues and tints on those upperparts.
These have inspired me to for my next foray into the field.

Russ

Oops! I seem to have dropped off the first page!

I've not been totally idle though. I've been unable to get out with a sketchpad for a couple of weeks now but I've been working away quietly in the studio.

Last year I was on Elmley on a quiet Sunday morning in the middle of summer. There were swallows skimming low and skylarks singing high against the azure sky which was broken only by the contrails of even higher flying planes.

As I looked at the patterns of criss-crossing vapour trails the thought struck me that I could have been transported back to the 1940's when the skies above Kent were the scene of fierce fighting as the RAF fought the threat of Nazi invasion and the might of Hitler's Luftwaffe. Even as these battles raged, and brave young men of both sides lost their lives, the birds on the marshes of Sheppey continued as they have always done, oblivious to the struggles of men.

In early September this year I was lucky enough to catch up with a merlin on Elmley and the thought of the summer of 1940 returned to me and this painting was conceived. The Rolls Royce merlin engine powered both the spitfire and the hurricane so I thought it would be an appropriate bird to place in the context of the Battle of Britain. The young male sits on a pile of boulders which are not naturally occuring in Kent. They have been brought in to be used in the coastal defences, so again I thought they were appropriate. I did some research into Sheppey and the marshes of Elmley in WWII and discovered a poignant story relating to early September 1940. I'll write up that story on my blog in the next few days.

Mike

Attachments

• merlin-defiant-p.jpg
    merlin-defiant-p.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I've also been taking a sojourn into portrait painting as it's interested me for a long time. I thought I'd dig out my oils and have a go so here's the result. Say hello to my friend David.

Whilst I had the oils out I thought it was about time I tried a bit of wildlife with them. Now I know I said I'd never post another work in progress but this doesn't feel like it's going to go wrong and I'm enjoying the looser feel that I'm getting from the oils so here's what I'm working on at the moment.

BTW please ignore the few oddly coloured needles, they were an experiment with other colours but not a very successful one!

Mike

Attachments

• David.jpg
    David.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 52
  • oilyowl-wip.jpg
    oilyowl-wip.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 59
the merlin is a brilliant piece, all the elements telling a story, looking good in oils, the owl is going to be a right little cracker.

why restore into a so dark part of the history, the magic of the nature is nicer around so a lot, and you know to show it very well

your Merlin is superb

friendly greetings Gaby

Great Merlin piece, Mike! I had one show up on the 'raptor snag' near our house yesterday and got great looks at it. Wonderful little falcons! The oils are great as well - your friend Dave is no doubt pleased with the result.

Great Merlin piece, Mike! I had one show up on the 'raptor snag' near our house yesterday and got great looks at it. Wonderful little falcons! The oils are great as well - your friend Dave is no doubt pleased with the result.

Thanks John. David doesn't get to see his portrait yet, I'm planning a large family portrait for his wife Denise who has a milestone birthday coming up, and this was done by way of a study to help me get the feel for his face.

Mike

why restore into a so dark part of the history, the magic of the nature is nicer around so a lot, and you know to show it very well

your Merlin is superb

friendly greetings Gaby

Thanks Gaby.

I've come to realise lately that many of my paintings are simply 'birds on sticks'. Nothing wrong with that but I'm trying to add an extra layer of interest and give my work a bit more depth by adding narrative. What really inspired me to set the merlin against the Battle of Britain backdrop was the idea that nature is above all of the squabbles of mankind and her beauty is both timeless and resilient.

Mike

Just zoomed into the merlin pic - an absoloute joy, sir. As for the lil' owl and the portrait, it again demonstrates what an array of talent and skill there is on BF. It's great to be part of it - even with my simple stuff.

Russ

I understand Mike,

your work has a lot of depth,and a story round the picture is not bad. I think that all painters do not paint only with their eyes, but also with their hearts

the pictures speaks for themselves

hope you understand what I mean,it`s difficult for me to write it in english

friendly greetings Gaby

Thanks Gaby.

I've come to realise lately that many of my paintings are simply 'birds on sticks'. Nothing wrong with that but I'm trying to add an extra layer of interest and give my work a bit more depth by adding narrative. What really inspired me to set the merlin against the Battle of Britain backdrop was the idea that nature is above all of the squabbles of mankind and her beauty is both timeless and resilient.

Mike

I've always wondered about trying to add extra meaning to paintings, other than what's obvious. But I think sometimes for me, and particularly for you here, it helps to focus the work even more and bring it to a higher level. I think that's what happened here. A really striking and successful painting!!

Like the portrait and looser owl too but this is the one that I just had to comment on.

Looks like the wet weekends have moved you into another great piece of work Mike, and as for the portrait and Little owl (Rear of Hucking Church per chance ?), stonking stuff......

love the looser work Mike, and the merlin, but where are the swallows? could they be a transition between the two worlds?

Thanks all.

The swallows are for another painting Colleen, as are the skylarks. They will appear in time I'm sure.

Mike

fantastic to see birds with context and connection

you might be just the man to render in paint a deeply evocative b/w illustration in a book by J K Stanford from waaay back - a Kingfisher in a WWI bomb crater being watched via periscope through the barbed wire

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back