• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best option for Samsung S8 digiscoping (1 Viewer)

valhondo

I have a new Samsung S8 and I'm interested in trying it for digiscoping. I've been looking for information in this section and this is all I found:

"We will continue with the 3D printed parts for the time being but the advent of curved glass screens on the Samsung S8 means we won't make a version for that phone - the chances of the screen getting cracked on insertion/removal are too high."

related to an Opticron adapter.

I have Swarovsky scope with 20x-60x eyepiece.

Is anyone here using Samsung S8 for digiscoping? Are you using adapter for that? That information about curved screens getting cracked is not very nice.

Thank you.

I have a new Samsung S8 and I'm interested in trying it for digiscoping. I've been looking for information in this section and this is all I found:

"We will continue with the 3D printed parts for the time being but the advent of curved glass screens on the Samsung S8 means we won't make a version for that phone - the chances of the screen getting cracked on insertion/removal are too high."

related to an Opticron adapter.

Is anyone here using Samsung S8 for digiscoping? Are you using adapter for that? That information about curved screens getting cracked is not very nice.

Thank you.

I don't see why curved screens should have problems with adapters that clamp onto the sides of a phone. Look at the Novagrade Digiscoping Phone Adapter on the Optics4Birding site. It fits large phones and most scopes.

As Steve says, a universal adaptor with clamps is the best way to go.

Although we did have experience of a non-curved screen getting cracked using the Novagrade when the user hadn't put the correct size clamp arms on the adapter. As long as you follow the instructions carefully, all will be fine.

The Opticron 3D printed adapters use a tight friction fit so we are concerned that the pressure applied to each side of the phone might cause problems e.g. scratching and/or cracking. That's why we recommend our USM-2 universal adaptor for curved screens and larger phones such as the iPhone 7 Plus.

Cheers, Pete

I have a new Samsung S8 and I'm interested in trying it for digiscoping.

Another option would be the Kowa adapter: http://www.kowaproducts.com/digiscoping/KowaTSN-GA4SGA5SDigiscopingadapter/

It fits well to the Swaro eypiece and can easily be adapted to other phones: you would need to buy a cheap hard case for your phone and glue the Kowa adapter plate on it (easy to do, I've done that with several cases by now). As you can use a normal case made for the S8, there should be no problems with glass cracking I guess...

Another option would be the Kowa adapter: http://www.kowaproducts.com/digiscoping/KowaTSN-GA4SGA5SDigiscopingadapter/

It fits well to the Swaro eypiece and can easily be adapted to other phones: you would need to buy a cheap hard case for your phone and glue the Kowa adapter plate on it (easy to do, I've done that with several cases by now). As you can use a normal case made for the S8, there should be no problems with glass cracking I guess...

The Kowa Adapters fit perfectly on the eyepieces for the ATM / ATS / STM / STS scopes, but doesn't fit the ATX / STX scopes. The big problem is that Kowa doesn't have an adapter for the Samsung S8 yet.

For people who change their phones every two years, getting a universal adapter makes a lot more sense than getting a new adapter every two years as well.

Yes, the Kowa does not fit the ATX scopes, but it does on the 20-60 eyepiece of the OP.

The Kowa can be adapted easily to new phones, as i descriped above, all that is needed is a cheap hard case for the new phone and some double sided tape . Perfect for people who change their phones every 2 years, but not good for quick switching back and forth between different ones.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back