• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Return of a Wet Birder! (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
Hi all

Well last night was a restless one for me. No idea why! At 4.30am I was lying in bed listening to Blackbird alarm calls. Not quite as sweet as the song from the Song Thrush I listened to on 1st January 2007, but last nights weather wasn't really condusive to sweet arias and at least it beats the neighbours bxxxxy faulty alarm system. Anyway, I began to wonder if I should have Blackbird as number one bird on my 2008 list and down as heard only. Life is so complicated! This ever so complex decision was made far easier for me when I opened the bedroom curtains this morning (ish) and immediatly looked upon a Blackbird. That sounds quite poetic don't you think?8-P

Well my listing began with the garden bird and I listed 13 before lunch. 1,2 and 3 were Blackbird, House Sparrow and Dunnock. Lots of House Sparrows in fact and incidently large numbers of Starlings today, round and about the area. Number 13 on the list was my friend the male Sparrowhawk which spent a few moments eyeing up the bird table from the fence before flying off. Number 13 was not unlucky for any visitor to my garden today but I do hope he had a meal 'cos' he would need one on a day like today.

Then I had a decision to make. Do I go out for my planned local walk in the mist and dullness of the day, or do I sit back and forget about listing. Only one choice could be made really, so on with the waterproof coat and out I went. Unfortunately I timed it almost to the second for the heavy rain to begin, but onward I trod. There were quite a number of walkers out today even in such lousy conditions and most had a smile and a 'how'd you do'. This probably won't last until the 2nd of January, but never mind they are trying. In some cases very trying!

I made for the lake. Remember this is no picturesque pool in the countryside, it's adjoined to the new township (new in the 60s so maybe better to call it old township now). First bird I saw was a Grey Heron standing sentinel like next to the pool and not too concerned that I came within feet of it. Other highlights on the pool were the large number of Goosander, I counted 17 last week and you will know that if you read my blog,;) and several Goldeneye. I have never seen so many Great Black Backed Gulls of various ages on the lake, maybe around 40. I didn't go into a detailed count today, far too wet. Other birds included large numbers of Pochard, Canada Geese, Mute Swans and the other regulars. I noted a Cormorant too, which I had not seen on the lake for sometime. They are usualy there in ones or twos, but for some reason not in recent weeks, at least when I have been looking. Masses of Black Headed Gulls and at least two now with an almost complete black head! I noticed that there was one young lad braving the weather to feed the birds whilst parent/s stayed in the car. At least he was feeding from a bag of seed and not stuffing white bread down the ducks throats as many do! Well done mate. I wish more would act so well.

I left the lake and crossed the 'clarty' fields although there was little about, until a large flock of mixed gulls and crows took off as though something may have alerted them to trouble. I reached my favourite hedge and stood in the pouring rain hoping to pick something up. An elderly man passed and appeared to be rather bemussed as to why I was standing dripping wet with binoculars. He smiled nicely as if to humour me. I thought about giving up having only found Blue Tits then I got my eye on a Goldcrest. Possibly more than one. Having waited by the the church grounds across from the hedge which partially surrounds an educational block, hoping I might pick up Nuthatch, I thought enough was enough when the water in my trousers appeared to be working its way slowly upwards to one of the few places about my body that was acrually dry. No, no not there! I decided to cut the walk short at this point although did find a non singing Song Thrush on the way home.

Now I have checked last years list and found I picked up 31 species on 1st Jan 2007. Today, rather spookly I also have 31 (I thought I was to have only 30 until a lone Greenfinch flew to the feeder) Not all of the same species of course. I feel I have done well today as last year I seem to remember clear skies in which I watched a flock of lapwing fly across. I guess that what you gain on the swings you lose in the rain or words to that effect. I came home dripping, but jolly.3:) Proud not to be a fair weather birder, but hoping for a little fair weather at the weekend!

Happy birding in 2008 all
Take care

ps and just to confirm my botanical birder credentials I saw that three or four flowers remain on the Feverfew Tancetum parthenium which grew in abundance close to the pathway. They seemed to be hanging on there as if frozen in time!

Last edited:
Good luck with your 2008 list Brian. Having seen your 2007 one I reckon you'll be going some to beat that in this or any other year unless you transmogrify into a real twitcher!

Go for it in 2008 Brian, you off anywhere exotic (is that a daft question;))

Stewart

No definate plans as yet Stewart. I have left things a little late this year! N Ireland on Thursday for the weekend though.

I am just checking transmogrify in the dictionary|:S|.................................................................. oh I see. Thank goodness for that, as I thought that Level Seven was being abusive to a fellow birder on New Years Day!;)

Last edited:
Sounds like a day well spent, I'm afraid mine was probably wasted.
No worry, 364 left!

I hope your neighbours get that alarm fixed!

Bookmarked this thread. I can see it will already become one of my regular reading threads this year.

Sounds like a day well spent, I'm afraid mine was probably wasted.
No worry, 364 left!
I hope your neighbours get that alarm fixed!

I must admit I did think the same myself for a time when looking out at the rain Chris.

Mabel..........you have given me an idea now. I may keep this thread going as an on going update of my list additions. If last year is anything to go by however, it will die around Sept. Not sure if I will be able to keep the humour going for 12 months though!.....................Yes folks there was humour in there.................read it again!!!;)

No worry, 364 left!

Good news Chris - you've still got 365 as it's a Leap Year! ;)

My day was a complete and utter waste of time! Had a phone call late last night to say that family would be calling round - didn't give a time - and they landed at just after 10am this morning and stayed until 4pm!!!!! :C So.....my 2008 Year List currently stands at 1!!!!!

Blue Tit :-O

Never mind - half day tomorrow so I'll get out in the afternoon and off all day Thursday so hopefully I'll catch up! ;)

Good news Chris - you've still got 365 as it's a Leap Year! ;)

My day was a complete and utter waste of time! Had a phone call late last night to say that family would be calling round - didn't give a time - and they landed at just after 10am this morning and stayed until 4pm!!!!! :C So.....my 2008 Year List currently stands at 1!!!!!

Blue Tit :-O

Never mind - half day tomorrow so I'll get out in the afternoon and off all day Thursday so hopefully I'll catch up! ;)

Do you know Gill the fact that it is a leap year had completely passed me by. Chris too it seems;) Well can I just take this opportunity to let the world know I am a free and available NS, GSOH and Intelligent. Well ok two outta three isn't bad.8-P An extra day is a challenge to all then, to beat this years listings.

The festive season brings its burdens Gill. Often in the shape of family;)

Well can I just take this opportunity to let the world know I am a free and available NS, GSOH and Intelligent...

You never know Bri....some woman could come along before 29th February and ask you to marry her ;) But if you say no you have to buy her a silk dress :-O *or a new Country Innovations birding jacket will do ;)*

The festive season brings its burdens Gill. Often in the shape of family;)

Yeah!!! How DARE they get in the way of my birding!!!!! :smoke:

I found the humour Brian, a very enjoyable read! Hope everywhere has dried out now! I think you did well to find the species you did considering the weather, I must admit I hate birding in the rain. Hope you do continue the thread with updates as I forget to read your blog and not many people post reports here. Have fun in Ireland!

Hey Bri, So, which one are you?.........

A smoking comedian, a brainy chap with a fag or a witty genius! ;)

Brilliant report and a great start to your 2008 list. Thanks for such an optimistic fun start to the Birding year Brian.

Great first report of the year Brian.....and yes I'm still reading your blog even if I don't always comment!;)
I hope you have a good trip over to N.Ireland tomorrw and am looking forward to reading all about it on your return!o:D

Thanks for all the comments folks.

No time to bird today, but will be packing for the weekend. Waterproofs needed from what I have just heard so come next week you will get an update from Wet Birder. In a usual serious birder style of course. Hoping for that Barrows Goldeneye! Bound to be some good crack if nothing else.

Pie.......I am definately a NS, and let others be the judge of the other two.;)

Gill.........I would expect a harem for the cost of a Country Innovations Jacket.;) I might get my hair cut in February just in case I score!

take care

Another fantastic read! Thanks for getting my new year off to a grand start with your report. Now hurry up dry off, warm up and off you go to gather more news to report. ;)

Lydia

A great report to start the New Year with and a very good total of 31 species, Brian!:t: I have of course kept up to date with your blog so I will be looking forward to reading the continuation of it in 2008!

Sounds as though you have been on the drink, folks saying they hope you have dried outo:D So I will just say have a great weekend in Ireland and I hope it doesn't rain! Though since I am late replying, I see that snow has arrived in Northern Ireland...so ....I hope the snow soon melts away and that you packed your thermals!;)

Looking forward to your usual interesting and humorous trip report!:t:

I am busy thawing out at present having returned from Ireland. I will be getting a report done this week. Great trip with some very good highlights!

I feel cold (and damp!) just reading this!

You are a great writer as well as birder Brian. Sorry I'm late reading this, but haven't had the time to do more than just peek on exbeebs recently, and your reports deserve a good read. Now I have found more than a few moments to do it justice and got thoroughly immersed. So thoroughly that the damp got right through me along with your words! Well, perhaps I need to turn the heater up. But yes, I did enjoy the trip. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back