• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Szabolcs Kokay - another great artist! (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

I think anyone who likes good wildlife artwork and has aspirations to paint themselves should have a good look at Szabolcs Kokay's wonderful website(www.kokay.hu). His draughtsmanship and command of a breadth of subjects and media would alone recommed his site. In fact in this he reminds me of both Lars Jonsson (of course) and Paschallis Dougalis. For the budding artist what is most fascinating is to see how some of the images have been crafted and built up (e.g. his Wallcreeper). Absolutely brilliant! No wonder he's won so many awards,

John

Last edited:
Absolutely John - no doubt Szabi is one of the real shooting stars of our genre (nice chap, too).
His stone curlews and sheep is among my favourite paintings of all time:

Attachments

• Stone Curlews oil.jpg
    Stone Curlews oil.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 109
I agree absolutely with both of you gentlemen, regarding your comments about
Szabi's excellent artwork!
Dear John,I'm happily surprised having seen my name here, but I honestly do not believe
that I belong there. Lars Jonsson is The outstanding Artist without equal!
But thank you for your kindness anyway!

Paschalis

I've been a great admirer of Szabi's for a long while, and Paschalis, your modesty does you great credit but both you and Szabi deserve every accolade.

Mike

Outstanding! I should be working on a pro seminar paper, and here I am, watching bird art. Fortunately time spent looking at art is never wasted, especially when the art is this good!

Elina

Just signing in as another Kokay fan. Isn't the Stone Curlew pic a beauty! Its been intriguing (and inspiring) to follow his style develop too- from the illustrations in the early 2000s e.g. the Gorman woodpecker book to more adventurous acrylics and now oils on big canvas.

Cheers for the heads up John. I've seen one or two of his paintings before but never come across the web site. I'll definitely be spending an hour or two looking around.

Des.

Superb! I recognise the Peregrine picture from somewhere. The drawings are what I aspire to do each time I give it a go and fail miserably. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Dear Friends,
Paschalis drew my attention to John's note about me. I musn't be proud of this as this only shows my faithlessness to Birdforum. I promise to return!!
Thank you very much for all your nice comments, especially for you John, introducing my webpage. It's really inspireing to read such notes about my work.
It's the best thing to read my name mentioned together with those artists whom I learned a lot from.
Once again, thank you very much for all of you!
Szabi

Superb! I recognise the Peregrine picture from somewhere. The drawings are what I aspire to do each time I give it a go and fail miserably. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I think the Peregrine illustration won a prize and/or was featured in 'Birdwatch' calendar.

I'm gratified that others have enjoyed this website as much as me and pleased to have brought it to the attention of others. Paschalis, your modesty does indeed do you credit, but I have to report things as I see them!

John

Good to have another visit from Szabi here, as a fan of his work (one among many fans) I hope to see some more of his work here soon.

ps Congrats on the Birdwatch award this year Szabi!

Szabolcs

I have bought several of his pictures. The watercolour field sketches are tops in my view - so full of life, and stunning lighting.

Thank you very much for all your nice comments, especially for you John, introducing my webpage. It's really inspireing to read such notes about my work. Szabi

It's a great pleasure to be able to thank you personally for the enormous enjoyment I've had from various illustrations of yours I've seen over the years (in 'BB', 'Birdwatch' and various books) and, most recently, from browsing through your website. Your sureness of touch and your deft handling of such a range of media are rare gifts and ones that can't be celebrated too often.

As a hopeless monoglot I must also praise you (as I do Paschalis) for your linguistic skills. The one time I went to Hungary my wife and two daughters (whose linguistic abilities far outweigh mine) rolled around laughing so much at my hopeless attempts - I didn't dare try them out on any native speakers! Fortunately, Hungarians understand that a bent arm raised to the lips is the international language for "I need a beer!",

The Peregrine was in the Birdwatch calendar soem years ago. No prize for that.
Hungarian language is too much difficult! But James speaks it really well. So he can tell that it's not impossible to learn. But you need to live here!
Szabi

Szabi, i recognised your pic. straight away in the Gallery.Your work is something to aspire to. i hope we see alot more of you on here although you must be most sought after.

The Peregrine was in the Birdwatch calendar soem years ago. No prize for that.
Hungarian language is too much difficult! But James speaks it really well. So he can tell that it's not impossible to learn. But you need to live here!
Szabi

Off topic, but I know both how hard Hungarian is and yet how well some people can pick it up. My wife's accent was so good that the receptionist in our Budapest hotel asked me what part of Hungary she was from and was atonished to learn that it was her first trip there. Mind you, beyond various stock phrases, questions and expected answers her Hungarian was minimal. However, her attempt to converse in Hungarian won many smiles and great service; with me they just laughed!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back