• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kincardineshire: The Mearns and beyond (1 Viewer)

Hi Mark,

I know what you are saying about some dispicable tufties displaying similar markings and was conscious of that at the time of seeing the bird. However, is it not the case that the scaup facial markings tend to be more obvious and larger?

Please feel free to educate me if i'm off the mark tho'. I am by no means 100% sure and am always glad of some pointers from people wi more experience. :eek:)

And i admit that i wasn't nearly close enough to make out the nail on the bill and my view was obscured by some reedy growth. But for a laissez-faire birder like me, a "nearly", albeit unconfirmed was exciting enough and i will certainly be on the look out for the same bird next time i am up there.

Even if it transpired not to be a scaup with young, it brought be great joy at the time of watching it, which wasn't at all overshadowed by the stilt sandpiper in front of the visitor centre.

Great place strathbeg. :t:

Well, this weather looks minging for nought but ducks this weekend.

Happy birding,

Kev

ps. love the blog Mark.

The amount of white shown by tufties can be quite significant and in some birds covers a similar area to that of a scaup.

Unfortunately! It can make them real buggers to ID.

Strathbeg really is a special place. Excellent birding all year round, and some of it from the comfort of the visitors centre! If only we could get something like that at Girdle ness......

Been a bit lax of late with keeping this updated. But have been away offshore for a couple of days and then away in Aviemore for the weekend.

Last weekend the swallows who had been nesting above our door suffered a bit of a set back when their next collapsed, along with all four of their young.

We worked desperately hard to chase of cats in the area, but to no avail. Two were lost on the first day (probably to cats). But two remained on the door step, which the parents continued to feed for about a day or so. Sadly by day two, one more fledged and was promptly eaten by a Herring Gull and then the last was taken by a neighbourhood tom.

When i went offshore i thought that would be the last of them for this year, but i am pleased to report that the swallows started building a nest again!

One week on the nest is complete (and considerably more bulky and moist looking than their last effort,) so here's hoping it lasts the pace.

The swallows have had plenty peace and quiet to do their own thing over the last week or so, and the next few weekends we won't be around much to trouble them so they should get all the quiet to raise a new brood. No idea if they have laid eggs or not yet tho. Am a tad apprehensive about checking.

Anyway, other than that was over in aviemore at the weekend, primarily to visit a hide to see Badgers and Pine Marten. Glad to say all the furry forest creatures arrived to plan and put on an amazing show.

Also did some birding around rothiemurchus estate and got some great views of crested tit, spotted flycatcher, tree pipit and wood warbler. Also managed to get ptarmigan on the yearlist too (without having to go yomping into the hills) from the ski centre car park.

Anyway, that was all well and good, but nothing new to report locally other than the swallow update. Will keep you posted on progress in the coming weeks. Here's hoping they get one successful brood this year.

Happy birding,

Kev T

Last edited:
was in catterline at the weekend but left if pretty late in the day to go. plenty of herring gulls and oystercatchers but not much else going about seabird wise. plenty house martin's and swallows though.

Normally at this time i'd be into my third working hour, but not today. Aren't flexi days great?

Anyway, didn't really expend a lot of effort on birding either last night or this morning - there are heaps of sandwich terns feedin in front of the house just now and my best guess is that there is in the order of a hundred or so roosting just west of Gourdon on the footpath to Johnshaven. Thankfully all very visible by scope from the front room.

This morning i thought i be a bit of a nosy parker and see what was flying around the lobster boats. Nothing but the usual gulls and terns, occasional fulmars and then lo! I noticed a black tern. I followed it for maybe 3 minutes as it flew west and disappeared at or around the tern roost. Very unusual.

I have checked the books and i know it is probably quite unusual for this time of year, but am prety convinced that what i saw was a black tern. I note that it was flying away from a rather strong light which probably made it appear blacker than it actually was and there was a faintly visible white undertail when it turned fully away from me. Unmistakably lazy tern like flight.

I wonder if it's going to be sticking around for another couple of months or whether it's going to turn up elsewhere?

That's certainly a first for me and the house and almost justifies a precious day of flexi!

Happy birding,

K

2 pages of kincardineshire goodness! hooray!

good spot on the black tern. not much happening out my way really, the rain has scuppered any birding opportunities. in saying that i'm quite certain i disturbed a lurking sparrowhawk around my bird feeder the other day which would be a first for my flat.

i've got the weekend off so will try and get out somewhere and report back. quite fancy st cyrus actually, not been there this year and could be a good day out.

Normally at this time i'd be into my third working hour, but not today. Aren't flexi days great?

Anyway, didn't really expend a lot of effort on birding either last night or this morning - there are heaps of sandwich terns feedin in front of the house just now and my best guess is that there is in the order of a hundred or so roosting just west of Gourdon on the footpath to Johnshaven. Thankfully all very visible by scope from the front room.

This morning i thought i be a bit of a nosy parker and see what was flying around the lobster boats. Nothing but the usual gulls and terns, occasional fulmars and then lo! I noticed a black tern. I followed it for maybe 3 minutes as it flew west and disappeared at or around the tern roost. Very unusual.

I have checked the books and i know it is probably quite unusual for this time of year, but am prety convinced that what i saw was a black tern. I note that it was flying away from a rather strong light which probably made it appear blacker than it actually was and there was a faintly visible white undertail when it turned fully away from me. Unmistakably lazy tern like flight.

I wonder if it's going to be sticking around for another couple of months or whether it's going to turn up elsewhere?

That's certainly a first for me and the house and almost justifies a precious day of flexi!

Happy birding,

K

Nice one on the Black Tern. There has been an occasional one seen around the coast I think. Any chance of seeing if any of your Sandwich Terns are ringed? This would be useful info for the local ringing group.

Hi Dave, hope you get plenty down St Cyrus, i'm looking forward to reading if you have anything to report. And thank you for celebrating 2 pages of Kincardineshire - hurrahs all round!

Ken, part of the problem with picking up Black Terns from the living room window is that it inspires utter laziness and Gourdon has more than its fair share of perils and moral challenges. Not only will i have to change out of pjs but i'll have to negotiate my way past the pub and the chipper to make it to the tern roost!

That said, it'll do me no harm to take some sea air and watch the terns close up. I'm down in England at the minute but when i get back at the weekend i will go down and check if I can pick out any rings on the birds.

On a separate note while i was at work and my other half lazing around the house reading trashy magazines she picked up a common sandpiper on the rocks out front. Thats a first for the house list.

Can you believe she even had the gall to phone me and tell me? Grrr!

From now on i'm going to paint the windows black when i'm not around! ;o)

Such is life - happy birding!

Kev T

Last edited:
Went for a bit of a stroll along the shore yesterday evening with the prime idea of seeing how many Sandwich Terns had rings on. None, according to my best efforts, but they have short stubby legs and seemed very reluctant to can-can on request. Sorry Ken, but if any do show a bit of leg, i'll be sure to let you know.

Other than that, a sparrowhawk flew over the scrub and landed in a tree up the hill, perched for a minute or two, and then flew off for more substantial cover from the smirr. The main focus of my attention thereafter were the small berry bushes up the hill which were showing a bit of Willow Warbler and Common Whitethroat activity. There were also a couple Sedge Warblers, which by all accounts seemed rather tame and were showing pretty well. Elsewhere in the shrubbery there were good numbers of Linnet and House Sparrow taking shelter.

Back out on the seaside of the path there were plenty of Sandwich Terns flying around. A bit hard t count but i'd reckon my initial estimate of around 50 is quite conservative, so there are loads. There were some juvenile Kittiwakes flying past and all the usual gulls - including 3 lesser black-backed gulls - a new record for my local patch but no, i do not intend to start keeping a totaliser. Good numbers of Curlew, again too numerous and flighty to count.

Other than that, a pretty miserable outing on account of the rain.

Out of area: Yes I've been skulking around in other people's patches getting decent ticks. Made it to Coquet Island to see Roseate Tern on Friday. Very nice, but could have done with a little longer just to get my eye in on them. Unfortunately the boat was a bit noisy and perhaps too close, so all the terns took to the air making it practically impossible to pick one from the other. But i was lucky enough to see one fishing so that helped.

On Saturday, on the way off the coast i stopped off at Aberlady and got the scope out while June devoted her time in the car to reading yet more trashy mags. I set up the scope and was scanning the mudflats when I was approached by an older gentleman who asked, "Have ye got the legs?". Without any further enquiry on my part, I was at once relieved to know that he was talking about a Lesser Yellowlegs which had been frequenting the area - one can never be too sure when hanging about near public lavatories these days tho! Within a couple of minutes some other birder had located it and bob's yer uncle, etc, and another great tick for the list.

On the way home, i stopped off at my mum's in Lanarkshire to wish her a happy birthday. She mentioned that her neighbours had been talking about hearing a strange sounding owl in the area. The couple had heard it's call when putting their chickens away for the night. They know that in that area we have Long and Short Eared Owls, Tawny and Barn, but on listening back to some recordings they had on a cd they purchased were pretty certain that this was a Tengmalm's Owl. They contacted someone at SWT who said that this was very unlikely as it is sooo rare, but rare's have to pop up somewhere - don't they?

I don't know if anyone else has opinions on this, but sometimes i think that potential rarities can be discounted by people in "authority" who are either jealous or working on the statistical probablities.

Just a thought but comments are welcome.

Anyway, it's amazing how much i can type when i'm really busy at work so i better get on.

Happy birding,

k

things a bit quieter yesterday at Montrose Basin. Wader numbers are down but should pick up again. Highlight of the day was an Osprey flying over, with what looked like a skate or ray in its talons. It was heading south west.

Attachments

• IMG_9753.jpg
    IMG_9753.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 82
Sorry Ken, haven't the foggiest on the fish ID, but it looks like a hearty meal anyway. To my eye, it looked less like a flatty and more like a salmon our trout or something. Is that possible?

Just a thought, can't abide fish me - c'moan the Ospreys!

k

Went for a brief walk along Gourdon shore at low tide yesterday mid afternoon. I was hoping to see evidence of migrant passerines but unfortunately there were too many noisy motorbikes cutting around on the scrambling tracks there.

I did take the opportunity to do a brief count of the terns. To my eye, they were all sandwich terns, and counted 120 of them at roost, with another ~50 or so (probably more) flying. I'd make a top estimate of around 200. Still, none showing any leg irons.

Back at the house, the roch watching was more productive than usual with loadsa gulls and oystercatchers (don't count them as they are around all year). Waders were showing pretty well tho: 6 Ringed Plovers, 9 Redshank & 4 Turnstone. So numbers appear to be higher than normal.

Out on and above the water there were good numbers of Gannet flying and feeding, and a continual stream of Kittiwake toing and froing, some showing with quite a few showing their rather dapper 1st winter plumage.

Apart from that it was far too lazy a weekend to speak of.

k

On the way home, i stopped off at my mum's in Lanarkshire to wish her a happy birthday. She mentioned that her neighbours had been talking about hearing a strange sounding owl in the area. The couple had heard it's call when putting their chickens away for the night. They know that in that area we have Long and Short Eared Owls, Tawny and Barn, but on listening back to some recordings they had on a cd they purchased were pretty certain that this was a Tengmalm's Owl. They contacted someone at SWT who said that this was very unlikely as it is sooo rare, but rare's have to pop up somewhere - don't they?

I don't know if anyone else has opinions on this, but sometimes i think that potential rarities can be discounted by people in "authority" who are either jealous or working on the statistical probablities.

Hi Kev,

If they were certain that this was a tengmalms owl then you should urge them to try and make some sort of recording if they hear it again. You're right, rares do have to pop up somewhere - and more and more rare birds are being found by a much more enlightened non-birdy public - but for the record to be documented there would have to be some sort of evidence, and with the greatest respect to the people involved, I don't think a written description from a non birder would cut it. It's a process we all have to go through when we're lucky enough to find a rare bird.

As for those in 'authority' discounting records - well, I can kind of see where they're coming from. It only takes a quick look at the ID forum here to see how often non and beginner birders make mistakes with relatively common and straightforward birds such as stonechat or reed bunting. With something as mega rare as tengmalms owl (last accepted record in 1985 or something like that) I think it's understandable that it was viewed with a bit of scepticism.

I don't think jealousy comes into it. But if you could get your hands on a recording that proves your friends were right all along......

Then we can start talking about jealousy!!

Mark

You're quite right Mark. Unfortunately, the couple in question don't have any recording equipment - i'd already asked them. I'm going back down at the weekend so will ask to see if it's still around, but that would be highly doubtful.

That said, they might've tried recording it somehow, but we may never know for sure!

k

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back