• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Duck in Salisbury 14th April. (1 Viewer)

Roger Clark

Looking at three "Mallards" on small bit of river
near the Cathedral I realised one was a Wood Duck
not a Mandarin as first thought. Could this be an
escapee or vagrant. Anyone else seen it?. It was a
male with the red eye , reddish chest and white bits
around the eyes !!

Hello Roger, welcome to the Bird Forum.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer your question. In the meantime I hope you enjoy the forum as much as we all do.

Regards

Hi Roger,

Welcome to BirdForum!

It'll be an escape, they're popular ornamental birds, with hundreds kept in parks and gardens around the country, and escapes turn up quite frequently. I had one up here last year on my local park lake.

Michael

Hi Roger

I agree with Michael. I have had them in a few places even on the river Kennet, near Theale, when I was fishing. It's safe to consider these all as escapees.

Hi Roger,

May I wish you a warm welcome to Birdforum from all the Admin, Staff and Moderators. I hope you enjoy your time with us - it can be very addictive.

That's 3 votes for escapee. Great looking bird though.

Don't worry about it being an escape, it is still a great bird to see. I saw some in Taunton and thought they were wonderful birds!

(Before anyone asks, no I didn't tick them)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back