• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding with a new pair of bins (1 Viewer)

pattianne

I owe my excitement to my new Nikon Sporter I binoculars!! I know I would not have been able to identify half of the birds we saw with my old bins. ( * indicate lifers seen today)

My 9 year old granddaughter and I decided to spend the whole day birding. We started about 7:30 AM at a small lake that I pass almost daily.. almost immediately I heard an EASTERN KINGBIRD and soon a pair made themselves visible to us. They were followed by a GREEN HERON and a MALE ORCHARD ORIOLE*- my first viewing of the chestnut and black, even though we had a immature male with a black bib at our feeder last spring.

After a while, we headed for the Tickfaw River State Park, but I had to pull over to the side of the road when I saw two SWALLOW-TAILED KITES* circling above us. As we entered the park, NORTHERN CARDINALS and one INDIGO BUNTING were feeding near a flock of PURPLE MARTINS. We also watched KILDEER, RED-BELLIED WOODPECKERS, BLUE JAYS, MOCKINGBIRDS, CAROLINA CHICKADEES, and TURKEYS as we walked through the swamp on the boardwalk.

Our afternoon was spent near Lake Maurepas (about 25 miles from New Orleans). We were able to identify the usual BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD, BOAT-TAILED GRACKLE, COMMON GRACKLE, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS, STARLINGS, BREWER'S BLACKBIRDS, COMMON CROW, and a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK. We also saw another SWALLOW-TAILED KITE, and this time, my granddaughter was able to make the id! They are remarkable looking in flight. While on a short boardwalk, we saw a female NORTHERN PARULA* and SNOWY EGRETS. The last birds we identified were one WHITE IBIS and a gathering of GREAT EGRETS along a small bayou. Best of all, my granddaughter had a wonderful time and hopes to go with me again!

Attachments

• Dscn1700.jpg
    Dscn1700.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 158
Hi Pattianne,

Sounds like a really cool, full day. How amazing to see all those lifers too. Sounds like it was a positive experience for your granddaughter. Im pleased for you. Its always nice to get a report from other countries. Thanks....... :t:

tracker

Funnily enough I went out today to try out my new Nikon Sporters too!
It was only a dog walking ramble rather than a serious birding trip to Anglers Country Park in West Yorkshire, but nevertheless I clocked up...

Tufted Duck, Mallard, Coot, Mute Swan, Swallow, Canada Goose, Great Crested Grebe, Pochard, Graylag Goose, Gadwall, Common Tern, Starling, Wood Pigeon, Domestic Duck, Robin, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Green Fince, Chaffinch, Reed Bunting, Great Tit and Yellow Hammer.

... and thought my new albeit budget bins a triumph :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back