• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the correction, John. More Mountain Hare today!

However, tough day in Abernethy today. A few Crested Tit and Crossbill species over, Osprey, and a superb Red Deer stag complete with Harem. Very windy day and conditions ever-changing. The forest floor though is something to behold. Thinking I should become a Lichenologist!
The Black Grouse lek at Tulloch Moor has apparently moved, according to helpful RSPB staff. Disturbance to blame. No sign of these wonderful birds anywhere today.

Last day tomorrow, any Caper, Grouse or Golden Eagle tips via PM would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jim.

With a bright start we hiked up Cairngorm and I can now confirm that Ptarmigan do exist. At least 3 birds seen on the rocky slopes, usually bordering snow. It was a pleasure to spend some time with these birds in their domain.
Spent the rest of the day walking woods and scanning hills and moorland near Nethy Bridge. No sign of any Eagles but a splendid day until the rain set in.

Excellent few days, thank-you for entertaining us Scotland. Great people, great birds.

Cheers,
Jim.

With a bright start we hiked up Cairngorm and I can now confirm that Ptarmigan do exist. At least 3 birds seen on the rocky slopes, usually bordering snow. It was a pleasure to spend some time with these birds in their domain.
Spent the rest of the day walking woods and scanning hills and moorland near Nethy Bridge. No sign of any Eagles but a splendid day until the rain set in.

Excellent few days, thank-you for entertaining us Scotland. Great people, great birds.

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim,

Sounds like a good trip. We were also up at the same time (I was helping to lead the Bird Watching magazine trip at the Grant Arms) We had a similar range of species though we had better luck with some of the species.

We had a pair of goldies flying side by side in the Findhorn, with a buzzard for size comparison, also two ring ouzels. Guests later in the week reported 4-5 goldies, also a white-tailed eagle and 2 goshawks.

Had both black grouse and Caper at or near Loch Garten but managed to miss cresty. Wasn't helped though by the fact that we had to spend half the holiday dealing with insurance companies etc after a camper van driver fell asleep at the wheel and totalled our car. Fortunately everyone walked away uninjured but even though we were the innocent party, it is going to end up costing us thousands:-C

Still finished the (half) week with 118 species, with the group as a whole clocking up about 140.

Cheers

Gordon

Hi Jim,

Sounds like a good trip. We were also up at the same time (I was helping to lead the Bird Watching magazine trip at the Grant Arms) We had a similar range of species though we had better luck with some of the species.

We had a pair of goldies flying side by side in the Findhorn, with a buzzard for size comparison, also two ring ouzels. Guests later in the week reported 4-5 goldies, also a white-tailed eagle and 2 goshawks.

Had both black grouse and Caper at or near Loch Garten but managed to miss cresty. Wasn't helped though by the fact that we had to spend half the holiday dealing with insurance companies etc after a camper van driver fell asleep at the wheel and totalled our car. Fortunately everyone walked away uninjured but even though we were the innocent party, it is going to end up costing us thousands:-C

Still finished the (half) week with 118 species, with the group as a whole clocking up about 140.

Cheers

Gordon

Sorry to hear about that Gordon. At least no-one is hurt.

You've managed some good stuff despite that. Now I have a clearer idea of the scale of the place and where to look, I feel well informed for a return visit in the near future.

Cheers,
Jim.

Heading up on Friday, hoping that the Capers will perform at Loch Garten, as only ever seen a female before. Are they currently being seen at the RSPB event? Will be dusting off the recording gear to see if I can get positive ID's on any Crossbills.

Heading up on Friday, hoping that the Capers will perform at Loch Garten, as only ever seen a female before. Are they currently being seen at the RSPB event? Will be dusting off the recording gear to see if I can get positive ID's on any Crossbills.

we had one male showing well but distantly at caper watch - two females had also been reported

Gordon

Caper watch was great fun over the last three days. Good views on video today and yesterday of a male performing. Unfortunately no scope views on any of the days. Plenty of activity on the feeders with some great views of red squirrels and GS woodpeckers.

Black duck at Corran ? -Request for information

As far as I can tell there has been no news, either positive or negative , on the Black Duck at Corran for a few weeks. We are in Speyside next week for a few days looking for the 'regular' species of the area and ,subject to any replies to this request, would try to see the Black Duck on the way up .
Has the duck gone or is it just not being reported?. Any news positive or negative would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard

Black Duck

Black duck at Corran ? -Request for information

As far as I can tell there has been no news, either positive or negative , on the Black Duck at Corran for a few weeks. We are in Speyside next week for a few days looking for the 'regular' species of the area and ,subject to any replies to this request, would try to see the Black Duck on the way up .
Has the duck gone or is it just not being reported?. Any news positive or negative would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard

It lives at Strontian a few miles to the west of Corran. Usually around the mouth of the Stronian River. It's been there for some years and is now paired with a female Mallard. There must now be some doubt as to it being a wild bird. It's not seen that much in the summer, probably spending time inland on a hill loch somewhere.

It lives at Strontian a few miles to the west of Corran. Usually around the mouth of the Stronian River. It's been there for some years and is now paired with a female Mallard. There must now be some doubt as to it being a wild bird. It's not seen that much in the summer, probably spending time inland on a hill loch somewhere.

I would have to take issue with the suggestion of doubt as to its wildness. Black Ducks in Britain have a history of long stays and breeding with Mallards: behaviour-wise this one is absolutely by the form book.

I shall be looking in the next few days but won't have IT: I will ring any sightings to RBA so watch the pager.

John

Black Duck at Strontian

Many thanks for the replies to date. Sorry but I got mixed up between Strontian and the ferry at Corran . I will be watching the pager keenly
Thanks
Richard

Hi all, no mention of American Coot at Loch Flemington the last few days on Bird Guides - is this simply because it's moved on or is the area not getting watched (or people understandably less-inclined to phone/text it in every day now)? Heading up that way tomorrow, was hoping to see it. Gavin

Hi all, no mention of American Coot at Loch Flemington the last few days on Bird Guides - is this simply because it's moved on or is the area not getting watched (or people understandably less-inclined to phone/text it in every day now)? Heading up that way tomorrow, was hoping to see it. Gavin

According to the Highland and Moray Birds website,the American Coot has not been seen since Monday.

This is a public 'Thank you' to the unknown Bird Forum non-member but reader who was playing golf on the Fortrose course.

The Female Dotterel was a very welcome sight, and it was simply amazing of you to take the time to come to the beach and alert its presence to us. Thank you.

As for the American Coot, was not present either early AM, or late afternoon today on either visit.

I wasn't sure whether I was best posting this in Highlands and Islands or Western Scotland, so I've put it in both!

I've got one evening, a whole day, and an early morning in Kinlochbervie shortly and I'm wondering if there is any chance of Corncrake in the area. To be honest I'd be happy just to hear one!

Also any other particular places I should look at in the area. I won't be able to do Handa unfortunately. I saw the map showing the loch that Delia looked at by Scourie.

Mind you looking at the map and photos the whole area looks stunning and I can't wait to get there. Just wish I could manage a longer time.

TIA

Fiona

I wasn't sure whether I was best posting this in Highlands and Islands or Western Scotland, so I've put it in both!

I've got one evening, a whole day, and an early morning in Kinlochbervie shortly and I'm wondering if there is any chance of Corncrake in the area. To be honest I'd be happy just to hear one!

Also any other particular places I should look at in the area. I won't be able to do Handa unfortunately. I saw the map showing the loch that Delia looked at by Scourie.

Mind you looking at the map and photos the whole area looks stunning and I can't wait to get there. Just wish I could manage a longer time.

TIA

Fiona

There may be the odd one up there on croft land but a bit of a needle in a haystack, still very few seen on the mainland. Best bet is the Hebrides still for Corncrake.

There may be the odd one up there on croft land but a bit of a needle in a haystack, still very few seen on the mainland. Best bet is the Hebrides still for Corncrake.

Thanks John, it doesn't sound very promising but I might be lucky. I'm sure I'll see loads of other good stuff whilst I'm there.

Fiona

Goodness me - has any one else noticed the explosion in Red and Black Throated Divers this year? seems every stretch of water in the Lairg, Forsinard and Loch Ness triangle has a bird or four on it!

Most surprised! (happily so I should add)

Goodness me - has any one else noticed the explosion in Red and Black Throated Divers this year? seems every stretch of water in the Lairg, Forsinard and Loch Ness triangle has a bird or four on it!

Most surprised! (happily so I should add)
Hopefully they'll all still be there in a couple of weeks Ratal;)

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back