• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digital Cameras (Which one?)again (1 Viewer)

Phil Davis

Hi all,

I was sold on the Nikon Coolpix 4500 until one of the Irish birders posted on Ibn that his had seized up. This caused an avalanche of " mine also replies. Any similar stories?
What about the Coolpix 8400, anyone using one? can you buy adapters for them to fit on telescopes?
I have also been recommended the Contax 4UR.I know that they are no longer being made but they are still available in Ireland. Any one using one?

Phil.

Phil ,the 4500 is an excellent digiscoping cam.There are always probs with odd one with any make.But have you considered the new Canon,A95(I think).It retails for around £180 and has some excellent reviews for digiscoping.Have you visited the digiscoping threads.I think you may find some info re the above cam.If I have the model name incorrect,I am sure someone will come along and say which one it is.

christineredgate said:
Phil ,the 4500 is an excellent digiscoping cam.There are always probs with odd one with any make.But have you considered the new Canon,A95(I think).It retails for around £180 and has some excellent reviews for digiscoping.Have you visited the digiscoping threads.I think you may find some info re the above cam.If I have the model name incorrect,I am sure someone will come along and say which one it is.
Correct Christine.

Its the Canon Powershot A95 and is an excellent camera for General purpose AND digiscoping use.
Try doing a search on Bird Forum to find more about it.

I use lately the CP8400. It's a great camera for digiscoping, but ends at 85mm and the useful zoom range is very limited. Here's a sample shot I took at a training session I was leading last friday on the subject of long lenses for wildlife photography. Taken with the CP8400, Leica Apo 77, 20-60 zoom eyepiece, Gitzo 1348 tripod, Wimberley gimbal head. The dove was about 40 meters away; combined focal length was ~4500mm.

Attachments

• DSCN2658k.jpg
    DSCN2658k.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 242
Phil Davis said:
Hi all,

I was sold on the Nikon Coolpix 4500 until one of the Irish birders posted on Ibn that his had seized up. This caused an avalanche of " mine also replies. Any similar stories?
What about the Coolpix 8400, anyone using one? can you buy adapters for them to fit on telescopes?
I have also been recommended the Contax 4UR.I know that they are no longer being made but they are still available in Ireland. Any one using one?

Phil.

Hi Phil
I have a 4UR together with a Kowa TSN-4.
I've used it now for about 4 months and have no complaints; the results are excellent and if they are not, then a touch up with Paint Shop does the trick.
I bought mine from Conns Cameras in Dublin and I think Pennine also sell them.
Hope you find one

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back