• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (29 Viewers)

Lesser White-fronted Goose hybrid

For those worried about the Lesser White-fronted Goose hybrid causing confusion at Cantley/Buckenham then perhaps the photo at

www.birdlineeastanglia.co.uk under 'Norfolk bird news'

will calm your fears.

Surely this is the hybrid with blackish bill tip that was hanging out with Greylags at Buckenham in the Autumn. It still is with Greylags.

Robin Chittenden

I had a fab afternoon walk around Hellesdon Meadow today. First off, I spotted a gorgeous fox, fluffed up in it's winter livery, trotting along on the other side of the river bank. then later some moorhens pannicked, betraying the presence of an otter, who was swimming upstream, back the way I had come from, he even got out of the water on the far side of the bank at one point. :t:

So I followed this otter, but I lost sight of it near the bridge, turned round to look on the other side of it only to find a flipping Bittern fishing by the water's edge! :eek!: It caught a large roach (I think), but didn't really know what to do with it so after carying it away, the bittern dropped it and just left it flapping on the bank. Then a short while later, it must have seen this vole or something rustling in the undergrowth because it turned and snatched it up, shook it then gulped it down! The bittern then went back to the edge of the bank to resume fishing. It caught another roach, but this time dropped it back in the river!

A snipe also flew in and as it was now getting late I took a wander back along the river and flushed a water rail! What an afternoon!

:t:B :)

The fish caught by the Bittern looks like a specimen sized Roach to me . Certainly bigger than any I've ever caught !

Great pics.

I had a fab afternoon walk around Hellesdon Meadow today. First off, I spotted a gorgeous fox, fluffed up in it's winter livery, trotting along on the other side of the river bank. then later some moorhens pannicked, betraying the presence of an otter, who was swimming upstream, back the way I had come from, he even got out of the water on the far side of the bank at one point. :t:

So I followed this otter, but I lost sight of it near the bridge, turned round to look on the other side of it only to find a flipping Bittern fishing by the water's edge! :eek!: It caught a large roach (I think), but didn't really know what to do with it so after carying it away, the bittern dropped it and just left it flapping on the bank. Then a short while later, it must have seen this vole or something rustling in the undergrowth because it turned and snatched it up, shook it then gulped it down! The bittern then went back to the edge of the bank to resume fishing. It caught another roach, but this time dropped it back in the river!

A snipe also flew in and as it was now getting late I took a wander back along the river and flushed a water rail! What an afternoon!

Ditto with other people's comments - my goodness, I would be jumping up and down with joy if I had seen a Fox, Ottter and a Bittern all in one spot!!!!!! AND pictures as well!!! Congratulations!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Moon-dar-in eclipse - is she a drake ?

A few pix taken out of my kitchen window, as the heavenly event unfolded.

I didn’t see the last one on this date. Mind you, it was in 1638 !

If it were a bird, therefore, would it be a lunar-tick ?

Attachments

• 003psesm.jpg
    003psesm.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 007psesm.jpg
    007psesm.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 011psesm.jpg
    011psesm.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 013psesm.jpg
    013psesm.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 82
For those worried about the Lesser White-fronted Goose hybrid causing confusion at Cantley/Buckenham then perhaps the photo at

www.birdlineeastanglia.co.uk under 'Norfolk bird news'

will calm your fears.

Surely this is the hybrid with blackish bill tip that was hanging out with Greylags at Buckenham in the Autumn. It still is with Greylags.

Robin Chittenden

This doesn't look like the bird in Will Soar's digiscoped images which appears to have a much more extensive and shaped white blaze.

Well done Jo. A great report and excellent photos. It appears that you are getting on very well with the Oly. Three great sighting to get anywhere but it would have been unthinkable to get them on the outskirts of Norwich a few years ago. Lovely stuff!

Ron

I echo the comments on your fabulous pix, kittykat23uk- and thank you for yours on my ever-diminishing disc.

I just wish it could be 'Otter, now: fed up with its being colder. (Still haven't seen one of those as well as this.)

For anyone going past Swaffham way today I had a candidate Rough-legged Buzzard from the A47 dual carriageway just outside the town. Worth keeping an eye open for in my opinion ;)

A thaw has taken place in the last couple of days (compare today’s view of The Bump with the photo from #10552). Nevertheless, I still had to do much trudging over the ‘deep and crisp and uneven’, to get up to the Top Common from Beeston Bog.

Tits were in evidence, as were a couple of Goldcrests (not yet extinct, owing to having been refrigerated).

The hoped-for mega Yank passerine didn’t materialise. Bullfinches peeooed in various places- at least 4, if not 6.

A Woodcock toddled across some open snow, but not slow enough for me to get a shot, before it vanished under the bracken.

Attachments

• 029psesm.jpg
    029psesm.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 89
As I got out of the car at Salthouse beach car park, the small flock of Turnstones flew in. I would imagine they were hoping for feed, which photographers had been putting down to lure the Snow Buntings. They were quickly joined by some Black-headed Gulls and a Common. Its head could be said, if one wished to be pretentious (moi ? !), to be the focus of these two studies. Note the subtle use of eye-shadow in the RH pic; nowhere near as heavy as Dusty Springfield, though.

Gramboro’ was empty of birds; although a dark Peregrine rose from the shingle beyond and flew off in the direction of the Quags. A Grey Plover, on the brackish pool, allowed the shot below.

Cley Spy (at the NWT Visitor Centre) kindly allowed me to take dozens of shots of the male Brambling, which was coming down to seed just outside their window. However, the light was too low for my camera to perform well.

Attachments

• 008psesm.jpg
    008psesm.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 005sm.jpg
    005sm.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 016psesm.jpg
    016psesm.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 88
Titchwell December 22nd

Today's highlights

Northern harrier - immature male over Thornham saltmarsh from main path
Glaucous gull - 1st winter on fresh marsh @ 15:40 then flew east towards Brancaster harbour
Water pipit - 3 in reedbed, 1 on fresh marsh
Pale bellied brent goose - 3+ with brent flock
Bittern - 1 in flight near Fen Hide
Lapland bunting - 1 feeding with skylarks on brackish marsh although elusive
Med gull - adult winter on fresh marsh
Hen harrier - ringtail to roost in reedbed from Gypsy Lane
Marsh harrier - 10 in roost
Spotted redshank - 1 on Thornham saltmarsh

Paul

Hi,Jo,
A fox, otter and bittern in one day, hot on the heels of your African triumphs!
That is an enviable achievement.
Congratulations, and everything of the best for Christmas and the New Year.
Dave Kennedy

Bittern today seen 1pm at Bowthorpe "nature reserve" past car park on other side of river.
Water Rail UEA yesterday 2pm

:t: Nice one! Could it be the same bird I saw? I heard it was seen early yesterday in the same area I had it on Monday, but wasn't there by late lunchtime. Did get a water rail, but then in a harsh winter they are pretty frequent round here.

:t: Nice one! Could it be the same bird I saw? I heard it was seen early yesterday in the same area I had it on Monday, but wasn't there by late lunchtime. Did get a water rail, but then in a harsh winter they are pretty frequent round here.

I think it could have been, its not far as the bittern flys! certainly nice seeing them here. Many water rail in that area. 3 goosander last winter as well Ill keep an eye open for them this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back