• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sites to visit on mull (1 Viewer)

i think we went with sea life cruises........saw 4 minke whales as well as porpoises. But that was back in april/may 2002. Also had plenty of summer plummaged divers (all 3) at that time as well as everything else.

Hi Steve, we stay in a S/C cottage just along the road from your cottage. Heres a link to island and wildlife cruises that depart from Ulva Ferry which is about 15 miles from where you will be staying. They do trips to Staffa and the Treshnish Isles where you can see many breeding sea birds such a Puffins depending on the time of year. http://www.turusmara.com

Cheers

Dave

Steve, you stand a chance of seeing both White-Tailed and Golden Eagle from the cottage. I have seen both in the Griburn area. The cottage looks good.

thanks to all again...
just got a leaflet the owners produced about the cottage and the area..sounds fantastic..eagles,otters,seals,twite,red deer...etc..all possible from the cottage!
cheers

the Mull sites seem well covered here, but don't forget Iona for reliable Corncrake. It's easy to get to and gorgeous. We stayed 1 night to give ourselves 2 bites at the cherry. Heard plenty in the evening and morning and eventually got stunning views. Beautiful weather the entire weekend (May 07).
the tours seem highly recommended but don't be put off finding your own stuff as well, we managed several Golden and White tailed eagles plus at least 4 otters.
Pm me if you would like more specific info.

Dave

Best dates for visiting Iona ?

I'm potentially planning a trip to Mull in May next year and am interested in getting some views and maybe photographs of Corncrake on Iona.

Can someone advise please the best choice of dates. I'm trying to juggle around the half-term school break which for my kids is 26th-30th May. If I planned the week before this, would I be too early for the birds ? I have been advised to go early in the season when the grass is shorter to optimise opportunities.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Robin

Don't know about Iona but going by other Hebridean islands that week would certainly not be too early.

Good luck.

Hi Robin

You best bet is to try the Iris beds. I have seen Corncrake behind the abbey in the Iris beds there, though last year there were none calling from that area. So we tried the other end of the island and there were far more bird calling. We got superb views of three bird in this area. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=127965&y=723535&z=3&sv=127965,723535&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
Including one calling from a garden next to the track.
But really you will just have to play it by ear, literally.

Thanks guys,

Sounds promising so will try and plan my trip for May as suggested. Any ideas as to whether you can camp anywhere on the island ?

Robin

One thing to remember when looking for Corncrakes is that they almost always call from cover but they also feed in the open - in silence. So it is worth scanning fields and particularly the edges of cover for Corncrakes tiptoeing about unnoticed. Usually on Iona you can find ten or so between the ferry landing and the monastery/abbey, although actually seeing more than three or four would be good going.

John

We are going to Mull now in June next year so this thread is coming in very handy! :D

ETA is there anywhere we should consider stopping of en route from Norwich where there is a good chance to see Capercaille, crested tit and scottish crossbills (or any other Scottish specialties that are not found in Mull)??

Last edited:
Our week

:t:Had a fantastic week bird and weather wise, many thanks again to every one for all the helpfull advice on here and with Pm,s.
What a lovely isle!!, friendly people and brilliant wildlife. Already booked up for May next year, in the same Cottage which i can recommend(anyone want further details on it PM me)...enough of this and here,s the shortened report as promised.
Had a fox in S/Shields as we left at 4am the only one of the trip.
The spotting started as we approached Mull from the ferry, Raven,Gannet and usual stuff.(dipped on Black Guillemot at Oben Harbour)
On the approach to Pennyghael 2 Hen Harriers, female and a young male! great start!! and countless Buzzards and Herons(we soon give up counting these:-O).
found the cottage eventually after asking a couple of locals, not the best signposted place:-O it all adds to the visit. Great views of Twite along the shore to Loch na Keal latter.
Our first full day, we had booked a tour with Brian who runs the "Wild about Mull" day trips based from the Pennyghael store/post office.
Fully recommend this one to anyone who,s not been here before, he covers mainly the Ross of Mull and knows it well.
He took us to places that you might not know about and the local knowledge of whats about was invalueble...High lights of this trip were Mountain Hare near Fidden farm, Young Adder on a Pennyghael est. near the water fall, 3 Otters,a dog at Loch Beg and 2 at Carsaig(dodgey road this one)....bird wise, Hen Harrier near Loch Beg, Twite at Fidden farm... B.Guillemot,A. Skua, Manxies, R.T.Diver all near the mussle farm pull in on the A849 on Loch Sridian.
Weather conditions were not the best this day for Eagle, but Brian picked a Sea eagle resting in the conifers at a distance:t:
Off we went(after our trip had finished really, shows the mans commitment to please) turns out it was on the way back to the Cottage! :-O a 96 Scottish bred female, bird.
Excellent views at the head of Kilfinichen bay, our first!:t:
The rest of our Holiday mainly centred around this area(Ross of Mull) Uisken bay is a lovely spot, we had Otter here on 2 occasions after our tour, one of them produced excellent views as we climed onto a rock!:-O, also a Female Merlin on the approach here one day hunting Medpips.
Ring Tailed Hen Harrier near Pennyghael seen twice, but showed excellent as we left the island:-C
Fidden farm area we visited a few times again, no more Mountain Hare, but 2 Lapwings(believe me not a common sight here) and 3 Black tailed Godwits circled the fields before dropping into the bay.(again not a common sight)
Went back one day for the Adders as it was nice and warm, managed a better number this day- 2 adults and a imm. we thought it was worth the one mile hike uphill:t: also a Goldie sitting on the distant ridge.
Goldies seen at a few different sites 6 seen in total, 3 around the Glen More est., appoarching Pennyghael but distant, one at the Adder site again distant, one over the end of Loch na Keal, and the best view was over the road to Devaig(near a picnic table pull in site, beside a farm that sells eggs, on the road with a honesty box) Kilninian area.
White Tailed Sea Eagle.....
Spotted only on 3 occasions, first one being on our tour at Kilfinichen bay...another birder tipped us off for this site as he shouted for us(at the head of Loch na Keal), bird sitting on a bare tree here, but not as good as previous,we returned on several occasions to this site as we did to others.
And where rewarded with a Eagle floating over our heads less than est. 50ft... before floating over the mountain, also a Goldie was up, as it went over!
Wader wise had 2/3 Geenshank at Kilfinichen bay, one regular at Pennyghael,
best number of R.B.mergs. was 29 at the head of Loch na keal.
Also had tame Chaffies at Loch Buie, had just turned he engine off when 2 landed on my wing mirror!...we continued to hand feed the birds,also a Robin which got in the car...:-O
Here,s a few pic,s.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_2054.jpg
    tn_IMG_2054.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 139
  • tn_IMG_2096.jpg
    tn_IMG_2096.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 97
  • tn_IMG_2298.jpg
    tn_IMG_2298.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 136
  • tn_IMG_2316.jpg
    tn_IMG_2316.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 74
  • tn_IMG_2336.jpg
    tn_IMG_2336.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
few more pic,s

Attachments

• tn_IMG_2119.jpg
    tn_IMG_2119.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 82
  • tn_IMG_2243.jpg
    tn_IMG_2243.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 89
  • tn_IMG_2268.jpg
    tn_IMG_2268.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 91
  • tn_IMG_2405.jpg
    tn_IMG_2405.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 157
  • tn_IMG_2255.jpg
    tn_IMG_2255.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 119
Very interesting report, Steve. You had a good tally of quality birds, didn't you? We'll spend some time in the south western area the week after next, although we're staying in the centre of the island. Really whet my appetite again now. Can't wait. But first will have to get those cresties etc. in Speyside.

Sandra

Thanks Sandra, yes excellent visit, just done a list and 82 species seen.
The funny thing about this list was how hard it was to get some of the birds you take for granted back home!..examples being- only one Greenfinch seen, goldfinchs seen maybe 10 the whole week, only 2 Mute Swans, Dabchick only at the north of the island at Fishnish Lochs, 6 Lapwings at only 2 locations...
Dipped on Fulmar and Peregrine.
But thats the nature of the island, where Buzzards outnumber Starlings.

Great trip report seggs, nice pictures too. Sounds like you had a great time. Well done with the twite, we dipped on them despite constantly looking. It is a fantastic island, isn't it....if only it didn't rain so much.;)

:t:
And where rewarded with a Eagle floating over our heads less than est. 50ft... before floating over the mountain, also a Goldie was up, as it went over!

Nice description....that's just what they do.....'float'. We had one like that....found it on a high ridge, one flap and it floated straight over us too.:t:

Joanne

Thanks Joanne
We were really lucky with the weather, first couple of days were dull with brief heavy showers but after that sunshine the rest of the week! considering what was going on back home(flooding)..very lucky indeed.

A few more shots, just edited....mainly from the other halfs camera.
Hope you like them.
1&2 View from the Cottage, over looking Inch Kenneth with the Dutchmans cap in the distance(strange looking island shape, like a Submarine to us).
3 Nice setting we thought.
4 The other half on watch at the Cottage..:-O
Booked up for May next year, cannot wait!

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0828.jpg
    tn_IMG_0828.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 80
  • tn_IMG_1942.jpg
    tn_IMG_1942.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 86
  • tn_IMG_0813.jpg
    tn_IMG_0813.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 92
  • tn_IMG_0801.jpg
    tn_IMG_0801.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 113
Mull April 2009
Tuesday 20th April
I got the CalMac ferry over to Mull. I had my tour with David Woodhouse on the first day. I highly recommend this bird tour with David Woodhouse, 10/10 from me! First real bird of the day was an immature White-tailed Eagle on the hillside. We then headed along the road and got female and male Hen Harrier. I did not see the male Hen Harrier but saw the female Hen Harrier, this was my first ever female Hen Harrier. Also from this point we had 4 immature white-tailed eagles in the air at once!!! We headed up the road a tiny bit and stopped to see male and female goosander on the loch. We then turned around and went to where we had the Hen Harriers. This time we had 2 ringtails, and 1 sky dancing male Hen Harrier. Again from here we watched the 4 immature White-tailed eagles over the mountain.

We carried on from here up the road and I think we headed through glen more and didn’t have much, we where looking for Goldie’s. We then went to Loch Scridain to look for Otter but didn’t see one. We then headed along the loch side toward Tiroran and had a wing tagged adult White-tailed eagle sitting in the tree. Great views of this individual! We then headed along the road and just after the sharp turn onto the road by the side of Loch Na Keal we had 1 Peregrine Flacon. Then we headed off again a long the road toward Knock. There was nothing here for about 5 minutes. Until me and one other person shouted out Golden Eagle! Fantastic views of this bird flying over the trees… We then headed to get Dipper and in the process got Mink! (grrrrr, kill it!)

Then on the way back to drop people off we had Great Northern Diver! This was a lifer for me. Great day and if you’re on mull you simply must go on this trip with David Woodhouse: http://www.torrbuan.com/frames.htm

Then we went for tea at the Craignure Inn and I asked if we could go back to where we saw the Golden Eagle, so we went back and I got 2 adult Golden Eagle showing fantastic through the binoculars and scope at the same location.

Wednesday 21st April
Went straight back to the Golden Eagle place and got a Golden Eagle again and as usual showing extremely well.
I then headed around the corner and was looking for Peregrine when a White-tailed eagle flew over instead! I thought I would make the most of eagles and left without confirming Peregrine. Headed around toward Tiroran area I got White-tailed eagle after standing around a few hours in the glorious sunshine I was joined by 2 other birders and we had Peregrine overhead, Golden Eagle overhead. Plenty of buzzards and we also had immature Golden Eagle on the ridge that appeared to be chasing Red Deer for a very brief moment! That is a sight to see! We headed around the corner on the Loch Scridain road that approaches the crossroad to go to Glen More and Pennyghael. On this road we had 2 Otters which was the target creature that my Grandma wanted to see. We then headed through Glen More and from the car I saw what I thought was a Female Merlin but didn’t call it as I wasn’t sure. On the road back to Craignure through Glen More we had a male Hen Harrier that flew over the road right in front of the car. We stopped and I got a 10 second view of the bird hunting over the hill. Which was quite good, I would have stopped and watched it longer but Grandma wanted to go, which was fair enough.

Thursday 22nd of April
We moved to a B&B in Pennyghael which was close to the well watched White-tailed eagle site. We went to Iona. I had singing Chiffchaff, Common and Herring Gulls, Swallow was also nice to see. Also I imagine that I had the real, proper Rock Dove. That was flying over the top of Iona’s hills. Anyone know anything about Doves, and Pigeons on Iona?

We then headed out to Staffa. On the way there, back, and on the Island I had: Puffin, Razorbill, Black Guillemot, Guillemot, Fulmar, and on the way back a Great Skua! I believe this is somewhat rare for Mull as we where coming into port at Finnoport. It flew from the distance right close near to boat, then right near the shore and harassed a few local birds. This was also a lifer for me. (I don’t do much sea watching, but want to this year) We then headed for tea, then back to the well watched White-tailed Eagle site for 15-30 minutes or so, where I had White-tailed Eagle.

Friday 23rd of April
This was the final day and I headed for the well watched, and well known White-tailed Eagle site. I had two White-tailed eagles here, I also had an adult White-tailed over on the hill a great distance away, still clearly an adult White-tailed eagle. I then headed along the road toward the Loch Na Keal road where I spotted two birds squabbling in front of the hill. Pulled over the car and I think it was the adult White-tailed that I had over the crag chasing an immature on its territory. Again around to the Peregrine site where I had 2 Peregrines, 1 very briefly. Then along to road to the Golden Eagle site where I had 1 Golden Eagle showing very well. Whilst here, Dave Sexton pulled over in his jeep and had a chat to me about the Eagles and said to give the “Mull Eagle Watch” a ring if I see anything suspicious. I did see something suspicious but………I kept an eye out and everything was ok, I actually nearly sounded the alarm. I then headed up to Tobermory and as we pulled up had a great Iceland Gull in Tobermory harbour. Then along to Grass point where I had practically nothing! Then home on the CalMac.

Hope you enjoyed reading this,
Andrew K

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back