• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saturday's stroll and mixed emotions (1 Viewer)

RKell1

Landrover, it does exactly what it says on the tin
Up early again and back to the estuary this morning. I'd planned on heading up to my local patch but with spring here I thought I'd pay a few more visits before the migrants head off to places far and wide..plus Mabel mentioned waxwings so there was slim chance I may see some..and I had my new camera to try out. :-O
Arrived at 8am blue sky and sunshine, 3 Little Grebe in the river so promptly lifted the camera and...under the went. 50 yrds down 2 more Little Grebe..drat they saw me and under they go..so you get the picture 30mins of hide and seek and Grebe come out on top, no photo. Just as I walked back to the jeep I see a Mute Swan which I think is feeding by the bank so I move up closer. As I reach close to where the Swan is it doesn't feel right and in a couple of more steps I realise it's dead. No sign of any injuries and it looked in great condition so my guess is it had died either during the night or early morning, heartbreaking to see such a wonderful bird like that.
Further on down by the channels,pochard, teal, shellduck, mallard and then a little white head pops up and a Little Egret shows out in the grass but manage a quick photo before it vanishes back into a channel.
Mudflats showing Brent Geese, Gulls, Godwit, Redshank, Greenshank, Dunlin etc busily probing the mud for a tasty meal or just resting up.
Mute Swans in the usual spot, waiting for the morning bread to arrive..Chaffinch, Robin, Goldfinch, Blackbird singing merrily as I photographed the Swans.
Drove around to the far side of the estuary and got a quick look though the scope of what I'm convinced was the head and neck of a Greylag looking up out of a channel. Waited for a good 30mins but it never showed again. Checked the posts for Kingfisher..all empty. I walked up along through the grasses but all was quiet bar the odd Woodpigeon and Jackdaw so called it a day, and the flask was empty. Camera felt good and pleased with the first shots. Weather permitting I'll hit the local patch tomorrow and practise some more. ;) ;)

Attachments

• 10 Mar 07 026.jpg
    10 Mar 07 026.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 10 Mar 07 037.jpg
    10 Mar 07 037.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 13
  • 10 Mar 07 040.jpg
    10 Mar 07 040.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 10 Mar 07 058.jpg
    10 Mar 07 058.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 10 Mar 07 054.jpg
    10 Mar 07 054.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 13
Hi Ray,
The photo's are great, getting a good shot of a bird in flight can be difficult well done.
I'm so sorry about the Swan, I can imagine it put a downer on the day, poor thing. The rest of your birding day was good though with some good sightings.
keep em comming Ray.

Lumix FZ50, was going to go for DSLR but with 420mm equiv zoom on the Panasonic plus I'm thinking of changing the scope, cost wise it fit the bill.
Nice size and weight too for the long walks..

Great days birding RKell,

Love the little egret, plenty of them in norfolk - but not 'my' bit of norfolk :-O

Matt

Some lovely photos (the ones you DID get ;) ) Ray, so pleased to see you're getting on so well with the camera too; weight and walking says a lot about the right camera for anyone, most important. I'm sure that's the model Bill's got.

Thanks for the lovely sightings Ray, I love Little Grebes, such fascinating Birds and I could 'see' them all pretty well anyway - and who knows, maybe next time!

Such a shame about the Swan, just bad luck to find one; such beautiful creatures as you rightly say so I can see where the emotions part came in to it all.

Sue.

Lovely photos Ray, Grebes are difficult aren't they? they will keep 'going under'!! I always end up with loads of photos of ducks 'bottoms' too!! Nice lot of birds you saw, sounds like a good place. Such a shame about the Swan, don't you have to report finding dead Swans to someone?? I always think of its poor mate, left all alone, wonder if they pair again with a new partner?? Such majestic birds, I think
Anyway, thanks for sharing your outing & the photos, will look forward to more.
All the Best Ray,

Judo said:
Such a shame about the Swan, don't you have to report finding dead Swans to someone??

Thanks Judo, yes I did make the report, well to a voicemail anyway so I suspect it'll be morning before anything is done unless the warden picks it up in the meantime..

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back