• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maltese Hunters Protest March (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Look at what the millions of migratory birds are going to face this spring
season in Malta.
A lead-pellet walls of death and kilometers of nets to be trapped and caged.

For many photos of the violent protest march by the BirdKillers in Malta
look here.
http://www.maltastar.com/pages/msFullArt.asp?an=10416

Hunters assault journalists
http://timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=254394

Hunters Attacks condemned
http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=254396

Spring hunting season shortened
http://timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=254395

Ann

hi there, its been a bit of time since my last visit here... regarding the maltese hunters and trappers brutal protest, i can say that i felt ashamed as a maltese because these low class people are giving a seriously bad reputation to my country... they said that if the government wouldn't permit them to hunt/trap they will vandalise various monuments around the island!

These brutes must be stopped!! Fortunately the trapping season and the hunting season over the sea aren't going to open! Though this is not enough! I hope that the migration this year would be worse than last year coz if it will not be so... i'm afraid to say that a bird holocaust will take place as a revenge!

These people show that they are deeply unpleasant characters, in fact very like the 'law-abiding country folk' who protested in London a couple of years back.

What a sad looking bunch of unpleasant and basically inhuman humans. They should be ashamed of themselves. There is nothing worse than mans/womens inhumanity to animals or birds. It just goes to show that the script of violence against wildlife runs deep through the core values of these humans.

They are very selfish, self centred individuals with no conscience, care or regard for wildlife.

I hope that the whole world stops to think about this issue and that tourism in Malta grinds to an absolute halt. The country needs to be brought to its knees until the message is clear about what the outside world and other nations expect.

Malta should be made subject of serious financial penalties and other sanctions by Europe and its courts to bring an end to this terrible business.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

May I suggest,that anyone thinking of going to Malta for their holidays this year,please think again ? Also might be worth telling the Travel Agent,why you are "boycotting" the Island.Also,you may like to point out to relatives and friends intending to go to Malta,about the "barbaric" attitude some of the locals have towards wildlife.There are plenty of other lovely destinations in the area,that you can visit,without the threat of seeing our "feathered friends" being blasted out of the sky.

malta

Ben Nevis said:
May I suggest,that anyone thinking of going to Malta for their holidays this year,please think again ? Also might be worth telling the Travel Agent,why you are "boycotting" the Island.Also,you may like to point out to relatives and friends intending to go to Malta,about the "barbaric" attitude some of the locals have towards wildlife.There are plenty of other lovely destinations in the area,that you can visit,without the threat of seeing our "feathered friends" being blasted out of the sky.

Agreed. This is on my boycott list and will be until those neandathals pack it in!

MaGGoT said:
hi there, its been a bit of time since my last visit here... regarding the maltese hunters and trappers brutal protest, i can say that i felt ashamed as a maltese because these low class people are giving a seriously bad reputation to my country... they said that if the government wouldn't permit them to hunt/trap they will vandalise various monuments around the island!

These brutes must be stopped!! Fortunately the trapping season and the hunting season over the sea aren't going to open! Though this is not enough! I hope that the migration this year would be worse than last year coz if it will not be so... i'm afraid to say that a bird holocaust will take place as a revenge!

So sad that people can do such things but good to hear from yourself.It is so important that people in Malta say........... No More.

Oh, how I would love to declare 'open season' on these morons. Anybody fancy breaking their boycott and joinig me on hunting trip out there!

joe

joe cockram said:
Oh, how I would love to declare 'open season' on these morons. Anybody fancy breaking their boycott and joinig me on hunting trip out there!

joe

Very tempted.

Boycotting Malta

Ben Nevis said:

I shall never go to Malta. I shall tell Travel Agents whenever there's the opportunity, but there are also the Cruise Companies, whose boats call in at Valetta - they should be told too!

I agree that firmer sanctions should be exercised. We commiserate with those Maltese who are against this barbaric practice. I understand that there are those who are trying hard to bring about change.

Sorry, more news, Ornis has said no to finch trapping but Turtle Dove and Quail trappers will be able to practise their pastime (can't they find a more constructive one and do some good somewhere, stop killing birds?) between March 26th and May 20th.

www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=254500

Sorry, I am thick but how can you design and set traps or nets to catch specific birds, can anyone explain? I also thought Turtle Doves are now declining in numbers but most probably am wrong there too.

Ann :h?: :-C :egghead:

I've written to the Maltese tourist board thus:-
Dear Sir/Madam

Can you please tell me when the practice of killing migrating

birds that fly over Malta will cease, I would like to holiday there but

I cannot bring myself to help prop up an economy that allows such a

selfish and unnecessary slaughter.

And the reply I had was:-

First of all, I would like to apologise for the delay in replying to your email.

It was with the greatest regret that we, at the Malta Tourism Authority, read your email. Sadly, it is not in our power in legal terms to address the matter. Issues related to the illegal hunting (shooting or trapping) of birds are handled by the Police. Below please find the necessary contact details should you wish to contact the Commissioner of Police directly:

CMRU – Malta Police Force

Police General Headquarters,

Floriana, CMR 02

Malta

Tel: 00356 2294 2190

Fax: 00356 2124 2223

Web: www.police.gov.mt

You may also forward your comments to the Police through one of the following channels:

1. Following this link, http://police.gov.mt/declaration.asp?rtyp=2 , and selecting “Cruelty to animals” from the drop-down menu on the page, or

2. following this link to a “Contact Us” form: http://police.gov.mt/emailform.asp , or

3. sending an email to cmru.police 'at' gov.mt.

Thank you for the interest shown. It is indeed a crying shame that there are still some (and I emphasise the word "some") people in Malta, and doubtlessly in other European countries, who take pleasure in an activity that involves the pointless killing of animals, and I hope that the issue will be addressed effectively and soon. In the meantime, I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to our shores in the not-too-distant future.

Regards,

Colette Grech

Customer Care Officer

Malta Tourism Authority

I'm sure if they had a deluge of letters like mine, accompanied with a decline in tourist numbers they would do something about it pronto. I feel sorry for the ordinary decent Maltese who have to live with it.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
I'm sure if they had a deluge of letters like mine, accompanied with a decline in tourist numbers they would do something about it pronto. I feel sorry for the ordinary decent Maltese who have to live with it

Thanks for those links Mick,

Totally agree with your last sentiment, must be soul destroying to live on the island with an interest in bird ''watching'' rather than trapping.

Matt

Maltese madness

My wife and I went to Malta on holiday a few years back and we were appaled at the way they killed any bird. We found a small bird reserve set up by someone from Minsmere on the north of the island. There, I saw a mist net and thought it must be a birder catching birds - ringing them and releasing them. WRONG! Any caught, were killed by the man squeezing their heads and then throwing them into his bag. I gave him a piece of my mind to which he waved his shotgun at me..... Time to leave!!! There were small boats out a sea with hunters with shotguns just in case any bird came their way. One restaurant we went in had 3 Ospreys on a shelf. We turned round and started to leave - "My food is the finest", he said. We said it might be, but his taste in decoration was barbaric!
We wrote to the Maltese Tourist Board in Malta and the UK. We wrote to the President and Prime Minister of Malta - - I got a one line reply from the Tourist Board saying things would improve! Nothing more!!
Malta without a doubt is the worst place in Europe for bird slaughter. If tourists boycotted the island thing might improve!

Thank you Smallridge,

If a few more people walked out of restaurants, bars, shops, anywhere in fact that have dead birds on show and it affected their profits maybe just maybe more Maltese citizens would change the way they vote or do more to get the police, law enforcement officers or whoever to do their jobs and enforce the punitive laws they have which would be a step in the right direction.

Sorry it is difficult finding the right words but seeing the hunters protesting shows we that are against them must be having some effect.

Anybody going to Malta please let your feelings be known.

Thank you.

Ann :flowers: :egghead:

Thanks also Mick for giving us the links to the police, I myself have written to the Prime Minister, Environment Minister and other government officials and did not even receive an acknowledgement.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back