• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terminology: 'Yuck Duck' (1 Viewer)

Tim100

Am I alone in finding this terminology and similar phrases to describe hybrid ducks with non conformist colourations very irritating ?

Tim

Tim100 said:
Am I alone in finding this terminology and similar phrases to describe hybrid ducks with non conformist colourations very irritating ?

Tim

Well Tim, I'd never seen or heard it until I saw it on this post. You are right. It is irritating.

I never took offense to it. It's just a comical way of saying a conglomeration of different duck species. I've also heard the term "pan handlers" referring to those ducks and gulls easily baited with bread crumbs.

I picked up yuck duck and manky mallard here, used exclusively to describe mallard derivatives, park ducks, domestic x wild mallard hybrids. I quite like the phrases. I wouldn't use it for other combinations which are true hybrids, for which we have words already. I shall desist if it is a hated term, but we definitely need a name for such a common phenomenon. Just look how many ID threads they spark, and how many beginners they confuse. They really should be in the books, too.

Graham

Hi Tim,
I wasn't aware there was a generally used term "yuck duck". I do know that everytime I see a photo of a domesticated Muscovy Duck I spontaneously think to myself "Yuck" what an ugly duck... Personally, I have used the descriptive terms "mutt", or "mongrel" to describe particularly unattractive and obviously hybrid ducks.

Tim100 said:

Tim

I just find hybrid ducks with non conformist colourations very irritating!

joe

Some interesting replies.

I don't hate the term but merely thought it sounded discriminatory and dismissive towards said ducks.

Perhaps I'm alone in finding alternative colourations of interest; some can look more visually appealing than the thoroughbreds/pure breeds (or whatever the term is.)

Tim

Tim100 said:

Tim

Oh thank god!!

..and there was me thinking Jane Turner has been dining on green winged teal!!

Matt

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back