• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange but True! (1 Viewer)

pie

Morning All,
Ive been struggling with a sad event recently, so with O'H approval & a few day's leave I did a Shirley Valentine & headed off Birding (not sex!) lol!

I headed for the spectacular scenery of Mid Wales. Found myself a log cabin & walked for miles.

On arrival I put out food hoping to attract Birds to the cabin.
As I was alone in the woods, you can imagine my surprise when I was woken up by a tapping at the window!
To my surprise I discovered a Chaffinch, flying at the window, managing 2/3 tap's at a time! This continued until I fed him.
It was so funny, & wondered if anyone would believe it! lol!

To my amazement, he followed me around the cabin every day asking for food.
The pics show him knocking at the lounge, bathroom & bedroom windows.

I dont think it was "a reflection knock" as the bathroom one show's.
On the last day, I managed to creep outside & capture him in the act!!
Ive included one of his safe landing on the door to show he came to no harm.

In three day's I attracted 12 species of birds to the log cabin. Bliss!

Hope you enjoy the Chaffinch story.
ttfn. x

Attachments

• DSC_0282.JPG
    DSC_0282.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0345.JPG
    DSC_0345.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0366.JPG
    DSC_0366.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0373.JPG
    DSC_0373.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0379.JPG
    DSC_0379.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 34
Oh pie, I love your Chaffinch story, and I'm so very sorry you have had a sad event in your life. I do hope your stay in the cabin close to the birds and Nature you love, has brought you a little peace, and helped you. Take care,
My very Best Wishes to You pie,

Hi Pie

Sorry to hear about the sad event but hope you time out with nature has kept you smiling. Glad to hear you did not need to do a complete Shirley Valentine. ;-)

Walking with nature can be a great healer, I know that from experience, and your trip sounds great. Incidently I wonder if the cabin windows had putty in them? Birds are attracted to this for the linseed oil it contains. So perhaps when you fed them he was no longer interested. Just a thought. I certainly believe you as I used to get tits on the old widow frames tapping away each day and it was a while before iIrealised what they were after. Changed to more modern windows now and it doesnt occur.

Keep smiling.

Hiya Pie

Shame to read about your recent sad event, very pleased for you that you managed to ''escape'' and make some time for yourself away from the distractions of life.

Love the chaffinch story, and great pics - very unusuall behaviour for chaffinch? I myself once got followed around a private fishery by a robin!!, I think the local fisherman must have been feeding them they're maggots etc
and the resident robins became quite tame as a result :-O

Best Wishes

Matt

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your Chaffinch story Pie, he was there perhaps for a purpose to distract you from your sadness.

I hope your few days away have helped you Pie, as Jim has said time and nature are a great healer

For you Dear Pie :flowers: :flowers:

Hope that your few days R&R have helped you Pie. Nature, peace and quiet are great healers.

A lovely story of the chaffie, looks to me as though he's done it before!

Thanks for sharing everything with us Pie.

Nice story Pie, and perhaps the fact that you are still prepared to share during your difficult time shows you are still strong. Keep it real, chin up, and thank you.........charlierocky

Hope your break has helped to heal your hurt, Pie.

Lovely pics. We used to get the tits tapping the windows for the linseed oil in the putty too, but since the replacement windows have been done, that has stopped.

Glad you enjoyed your trip away.

Awww! Thank you everyone for such lovely supportive replies. I agree with you all that being at one with nature is very healing.
I can recommend the Shirley Valentine (without the Latin lover) (BTW, Brian, why not?) ;) (or with the Latin lover if that's what you fancy!)

Why the h*** I'm I going on about Latin lovers?? "get a grip pie"

I'm glad you liked my Chaffinch Tale & the linseed oil now makes sense. I can see how he might have been attracted by it. Thank you Brian & Kits for the explanation.

Thank you Judo, Brian, Matt, Mary, Jim, Pam, Wendy, Mabel, Charlie & Kits your kindness is really helpful. x

pie said:
(BTW, Brian, why not?) ;) (or with the Latin lover if that's what you fancy!)

Simply because a Latin lover may have taken your mind off the birds and I am sure you would not have appreciated that. ;) Well, I am guessing of course!!!

....and I wonder what the answer would be to that Bri!!! ;)

Hi Pie,

He's one determined little blighter for sure and you caught him brilliantly with your great photos, well done. I hope the break away and getting deep in to Nature has done you good and that you've really benefited from it. It is so true about time too, but for now just keep right on embracing all that you hold dear, it's that which gets you through too!

Thanks so much for the tale about him, he's a beauty.

Love, Sue.

Sorry I'm late in both reading your enchanting tale and sending you my very best wishes. As others have said, Nature does have such a healing way with her. I've always found that just observing some form of life does wonders for me. But you got more than you bargained for! I'd have been scared stiff at first, hearing tapping at the window while I was on my own, but then so thrilled to find what it really was. The linseed oil explanations sound right, but I'd prefer to think that a little bird was sent to comfort you in your time of sadness.

:flowers: from me.

Hi Pie,
Loved your photos and tale of the Chaffinch, it was as if he came to take your mind off things and lift your spirits.
Take care,

Hi Pie, :flowers:
Apologies for being late! ~ I did reply yesterday but I think I must have forgotten to press 'send' |:$|
Sorry to hear about your sad event Pie, but glad that Mother Nature did her bit to make you feel better ~ it never fails. I loved your Chaffie story along with the lovely photos. Thanks for sharing it

Best wishes

Hi Sue, Renee, Chrissie & Dizzy,
Thank you all very much for your very kind comments, I really appreciate it. x
Hi Brian, I believe you............lol!

Thanks again my wonderful friends. x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back