• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pulling the trigger on some 8x42's and need advice (1 Viewer)

ringo

First post here but have been lurking for a while and gaining knowledge.

Investing in a pair of 8x42's and have a choice of Trinovid BN or Ultravid (non HD). I have always loved the Trinovids, the way they feel, look, quality and was dead set on those but before I spend this kind of coin should I consider the Ultravids (non HD). I have looked through the Ultravids and they look great but I still like the feel of the Trinovids. Am I missing the boat if I don't go with the Ultravids? If cost between these two did not matter which would you choose and why, taking into consideration that I do like the feel/appearance of the Trinovids better. Cross post in case this forum gets more traffic instead of Leica only.

Thanks for the help.

Your question/request is nonsensical as stated "which would you choose and why, taking into consideration that I do like the feel/appearance of the Trinovids better."

Are you asking how they differ optically? The Ultravid is brighter and more color neutral, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is better for you.

You should get the one that you like best. That seems to be the Trinovid BN.

--AP

First post here but have been lurking for a while and gaining knowledge.

Investing in a pair of 8x42's and have a choice of Trinovid BN or Ultravid (non HD). I have always loved the Trinovids, the way they feel, look, quality and was dead set on those but before I spend this kind of coin should I consider the Ultravids (non HD). I have looked through the Ultravids and they look great but I still like the feel of the Trinovids. Am I missing the boat if I don't go with the Ultravids? If cost between these two did not matter which would you choose and why, taking into consideration that I do like the feel/appearance of the Trinovids better. Cross post in case this forum gets more traffic instead of Leica only.

Thanks for the help.

I can remember when I was buying my first quality binoculars several years ago (several, right!). There were two or three contenders and I zoned in on a Swaro 8x30 SLC. Never regretted it, but the other contenders were the Leica 8x32 BN and Zeiss 8x30 BGAT. At the time the BN was rated the best overall birding binocular by BVD with the Swaro SLC a close runner up. My point is that when dealing with top of the line equipment you ultimately have to pick what you like rather than relying on anyone else. So, if you like the fit and feel of the BN better, go for it and don't look back. And while you're at it, enjoy the view. ;)

Ed

Last edited:
elkcub -

Thanks for the reply. Kind of what I was thinking, just looking for opinions between these two models before placing order.

Alexis - |8||

OK, I'll talk . . . real . . . . slow . . . . so . . . . you . . . . can . . . . follow.....

I am looking for opinions from those with experience with both of these models. I like the way the Trinovids feel in my hands, the weight and I like the way they look and am not needing Ultravids because they have a newer look. Just wanting to know if they are superior binoculars from a functional standpoint and if I should weigh my decision in that direction because of some advancement in design. Did you follow that or should I re-write with a jumbo pencil......

Guess every forum has one....:smoke:

Alexis - |8||

OK, I'll talk . . . real . . . . slow . . . . so . . . . you . . . . can . . . . follow.....

I am looking for opinions from those with experience with both of these models. I like the way the Trinovids feel in my hands, the weight and I like the way they look and am not needing Ultravids because they have a newer look. Just wanting to know if they are superior binoculars from a functional standpoint and if I should weigh my decision in that direction because of some advancement in design. Did you follow that or should I re-write with a jumbo pencil......

No, sorry, I still don't follow. You wrote that you'd looked through the Ultravid, which tells me that you know, from personal experience, what their "feel" and optics are like in comparison to the Trinovid. Then you said that you liked the Trinovids better because of their feel, the implication being that you didn't see any (or any significant) optical advantage of the Ultravid that outweighed your preference for the Trinovid ergonomics. Then you wanted to know which one readers of this forum would pick, except that you don't want to know what we'd pick for ourselves but rather which we'd pick with your ergonomic preference in mind. Yeah, I guess I just don't get it. Are you just insecure, is that it? Get the Trinovid! Hope that meets your needs.

--AP

Jeeze Alexis, the guy is just looking for a little confirmation from others with more experience before he spends a boatload of cash. I can remember agonizing for weeks while I contemplated spending five times more money on bins than I did when I bought my first car forty years ago. I joined this forum and got a lot of friendly advise from you guys. Now I'm hooked on optics with five pair of bins, I don't know whether to praise or curse you guys.

John

Your question/request is nonsensical as stated "which would you choose and why, taking into consideration that I do like the feel/appearance of the Trinovids better."

AP,

I have to agree with John on this one. You were out of line.

My apologies to ringo and the others who apparently found my original reply to be overly direct to the extent of being harsh or offensive, as that was not intended. I did go on to answer the question as best I could interpret it, but the reply from ringo didn't help to clarify for me whether I'd done so satisfactorily (i.e. what information or evaluation was desired). I won't deny a tendency to split hairs, but my confusion was/is genuine.

To ringo,

The Ultravid and Trinovid are optically identical in most respects (lens design, optical quality), but the more advanced prism and lens coatings in the Ultravid give it a brighter and more color neutral view. You will notice a difference in low light, but you will also notice in sunny conditions with patches of shadow that you can see detail of form and color better in those shadows with the Ultravid. Depending on the kind of birding you do, that difference could be significant (for me, it really is). The ergonomics of the Trinovid and Ultravid differ more substantially than do their optics. The Ultravid is lighter in weight, slimmer, and has a more exposed focus knob. I find it more comfortable overall and easier to operate, especially with gloves. The Ultravid eyecups also allow for intermediate settings. If you like the feel of the Trinovid better, especially if that translates to being able to hold it steady, it is possible that it would serve you better overall than the Ultravid.

best wishes,

Alexis

Last edited:
Hi Ringo,
You will probably be happy with the one you choose, whichever one it is. I know I'm very happy with my 7 x 42 Trinovid. I'm even happier that I saved $500.00 off it's original price. I bought it after it was discontinued. The new Ultravid which replaced it cost about $800.00 more than I paid for the Trinovid. With a saving like that I didn't even consider comparing them.

I note that on Cameraland New York's website the price of a new 8 x 42 Trinovid is about $500.00 less than an Ultravid and $1000.00 less than the Ultravid HD and it has a LIFETIME passport warranty as opposed to the 10 year warranty of the Ultravid.http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40017

Cordially,
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back