• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

small, rugged cheap and good (1 Viewer)

maxl

I am new to binoculars so start from basics. I did some searching on this forum, but apparently no one was looking for something with the same criteria - most are satisfied with just two out of the four :)

I know I want too much, so I am ready to compromise in one or more areas. So here is what I need - I need binoculars for hiking (rather extreme). So I want something rugged. Not sure if waterproof is a must, but the camera I take with me has dust/splash proof lenses and they survived only 3 years - full of dust inside now... So probably I need waterproof. Size is not as important as weight - every ounce matters. My absolute limit is probably around 650 grams (1.5 pound), so not necessarily compacts. Another thing I need is wide field of view. Given all this, I want to get the best image quality possible for under $300...

My first thought was Bushnell elite custom compact 7x26 but I believe they are not waterproof...

So I looked further and thought about Bushnell Legend 8x32 - a bit pushing the size and price dimensions and field of view is not that large

Another option I like is excursion ex 8x36 - seems like a perfect combo, but I could not find any good reviews on those...

I considered only Bushnell just because I started on their web site - no particular brand preference here. So what about the options I listed and any other comparable/better options?

Thanks!

OK. I have a previous 7x26 from when it was Baush & Lomb. Mine has been pretty fool proof. It and I, went swimming (involuntarily) once and it survied that OK. It's not much of a trick to arrange the little soft pouch they come in to hang on your chest in a harness. That way they have some protection. I've not seen one but the Pentax 9x28 has my interest. The Vortex Fury 8x28 is a decent glass too. I really think the new Bushnell Custom Elite Version is waterproof. That little beast has very good optics.

Everyone seems to have a favorite recommendation, but nothing beats testing them out and talking with a knowledgeable and experienced person. So...

"One Good Tern" is a birding store located a couple blocks off of King Street (the 395 end of King Street) in Fairfax. The owner is an experienced birder with a lot of optical knowledge. He stocks a wide variety of binoculars. Prices range from $100 - $2000.

Good luck.

The Leupold Yosemite 6 x 30 Porro is your best bet. Small (17 0z.), waterproof , with a wide FOV (420') and tough as nails. There is also an 8 x 30 version. Comes in 3 colors too! You can buy 1 of each color for under $300 total! I have one. Loaned it to my brother. He won't give it back! See info here: http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4584
Bob

PS

I also have the Pentax 9 x 28. It's a fine, small, (14 oz.) waterproof roof prism binocular for it's price ($250.00) and configuration but it probably is too expensive for your requirements and it has a rather narrow field of view. (294' @ 1000 yards) Currently out of stock at Eagle Optics. The Bushnell 7 x 26 Custom Classic is a very fine binocular, but not as rugged as the others mentioned above. The Leupold 6 x 32 Katmai may be the most rugged of all but costs nearly $300.00.http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4587

Last edited:
The Excursion will be OK. In fact, try the 8x32 Excursion. It may be bright enough, and it is relatively small.

I have not seen it yet, but I believe the 8x Vortex Vanquish will beat the 28mm and 32 mm Excursions for view clarity.

Last edited:
The Leupold 6 x 32 Katmai may be the most rugged of all but costs nearly $300.00.h

This one was the first one to pop into my head as well Bob. It seems to fit all the criteria. It is very small for a 8x32 mm sized binocular. It is rugged by all accounts and Leupold's customer service is certainly highly regarded in case it isn't. ;) I wouldn't call $300 cheap but it fits your listed price limit. Optically this model and configuration has been rated number #1 in low to mid priced binos by one organization.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I went to One Good Tern store and looked at several models recommended here. I was not impressed with my initial options, so I am happy I asked around.

In the end the choice came down to Yosemites and Nikon Monarch 8x36. I liked Yosemite's wider field of view, more comfortable grip and price. Monarch was lighter (in terms of light, not weight) and smaller. However, what made the choice was that with Monarch after watching for a minute I got the illusion of watching through a window - as if there was no binoculars at all. Also the perception of depth was excellent. So I got Monarchs.

Max

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back