• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

Some more shots with the 7D. I was at one of the baited sites I use and it gave a quick chance to do a quick comparison. I could have done more, but stayed within the limits of what I would normally shoot. It was cloudy and snowing/hailing at times.

Again I was impressed by the 7D. Something about the colours seem to render much more realistically than 1Diin. Though I shoot in RAW so that's no biggy.

I'm not really someone who crops a great deal, but if you were to pixel peep you do find some noise in the 7D. However the quality of images shot uncropped is truly stunning. Much better than the 1Diin. Indeed to get anywhere near the shot on the 1D you have to chuck the 1.4x on. Which means you lose a couple of stops.

- 100% crop 1Diin, ISO 400 (700mm, f5.6, 1/500) UNprocessed.
- 100% crop, 7D, ISO400 (500mm, f4, 1/1000) UNprocessed.
- Same as above, uncropped, resized and processed.
- 100% crop, 7D, ISO800 (500mm, f5.6, 1/500) UNprocessed.
- Same as above, uncropped, resized and UNprocessed.

Too many variables for true testing comparisons, but I find the 7D is now my first choice of camera. Until it started snowing and then I switched to the 1D for the weather sealing :t: That's the only reason I would switch back.

Attachments

• 1d400iso.jpg
    1d400iso.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 7d400iso.jpg
    7d400iso.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 196
  • crested ff_filtered1200.jpg
    crested ff_filtered1200.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 7d800iso.jpg
    7d800iso.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 7d800isochafff.jpg
    7d800isochafff.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 141
From photo.net

"Thank you for your inquiry about the weather seals on the EOS 7D. We
value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist
you.

The 7D is not a weather sealed camera. It should not under any
circumstance get wet. It may survive some rain, however, there are no
guarantees. If you need a camera with weather seals you should look
into our EOS 1 series cameras.

To clarify, none of our cameras or lenses should be immersed under
water. The EOS 1 series cameras and certain L series lenses do offer
weather seals. These seals do not make the equipment water resistant or
water proof. You should always try to keep the equipment dry.

For the conditions you described (hard rain, under a shower, and being
immersed), you should be looking into an underwater housing. There are
several third party companies that offer underwater housings for our
cameras."

The 7D feels flimsy and plasticy. I wont be using it in the rain.

Some more shots with the 7D. I was at one of the baited sites I use and it gave a quick chance to do a quick comparison. I could have done more, but stayed within the limits of what I would normally shoot. It was cloudy and snowing/hailing at times.

if that's what you get coming to you feeders I think I'll be coming to visit...
:t:

Marcus, you are right on both counts but the original file had very little noise and considering it was taken in very dense foliage I was totally surprised by the outcome

Bob

Last edited:
Also use mine in rain & snow -had no problems so far.
If it didn't have some resistance to rain I would get no images!!! ;)

It also seems to cope well with that manky red African laterite dust that gets into everything!

Ive dropped my 7d on concrete and fell over in a huge pile of mud and it got completely covered in soaking wet mud. There was a tiny bit of wetness in the cf slot but non in the battery bay. A quick brush down and a little hoover and its good as new.
Im very happy with its sealing. The control wheel seems better after getting sandy/muddy than my mk3 as well.

Don't think I'll worry about a bit of rain in future.
On battery life I shot 450 images this week and the batteries (use the grip) show 94% charge. Quite amazing.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back