• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kruger Optical (1 Viewer)

Thanks for clarifying the Chinese matter. I was tongue in cheek with the tone of a couple of comments. ;) I really did not think the engineers were doing anything other than design and engineering work. I frankly had wondered about how the China connection was managed. Your response clears up some stuff. Thanks.

Forrest,

Thank you for chiming in and welcome to the forum. I, too, appreciate your comments and participation. Is there anything more that you can tell us about either of the two new models that differentiates them from the competition. Dan was kind enough to elaborate a few points earlier but if there is anything else you can share it would be appreciated (no trade secrets of course. ;) )

Thanks.

I was able to check out the REI XR 8x32 and 10x50s today. The 10x50s were bright and fairly sharp, while not feeling much bigger than the standard Monarchs. The 8x32s were interesting in that they were about the same weight as many of the cheap 25mm Chinese bins (eg, Mead and Celestron), and only a bit bigger. They really qualify as pocket binoculars, IMO. They seemed fairly sharp for relatively inexpensive roofs ($119), but didn't measure up either in brightness or resolution to the Bushnell Elite Custom rev. porros I brought in my pocket for comparison. Of course, the EC usually sells for around $250. If Kruger could produce a brighter, slightly sharper bin in the same chassis, even at twice the price, it would be a winner for that size class.

As a supplier of binoculars to the market and as we are an engineering firm I would like to get some feedback on the following questions.
What is the best focus rate of change or in other words, how many turns from close to infinity is considered the best.
Would a variable binocular from 6 to 12 power be popular assuming the image quality and fields would be proportional to fixed power models.
What is the generally considered best magnification for Birding application?

As a supplier of binoculars to the market and as we are an engineering firm I would like to get some feedback on the following questions.
What is the best focus rate of change or in other words, how many turns from close to infinity is considered the best.
Would a variable binocular from 6 to 12 power be popular assuming the image quality and fields would be proportional to fixed power models.
1. About one to one and a quarter turns. No more than one and a half.
2. I wouldn't be interested in a variable power bin. Too much extra weight for a negligible gain (even if the quality was equal, which I would be sceptical about).
3. 7x or 8x for general use. 6x for woodland and also in exchange for lightness and ease of handling.

Michael

Forest,

Glad to see you back. I think you are going to get some varied answers to at least questions one and two...and possibly threed.

1. My preference is for between 1.5 and 1.75 turns from close focus to infinity. A bin that is "too fast" (around .75 to 1 full turn) is just as bad as one that is too slow (2.25 or greater).

2. I would be interested in a 6x/12x binocular. The key would be the objective size. If you are going 12x then I would prefer a full 42 mm objective. It would give a whopping 7 mm exit pupil on the 6x side and a respectable 3.5 exit pupil with the 12x. I think the hard part, based on what I have seen of other variable/zoom binoculars is that it is difficult to maintain the average, not to mention the wider, field of view. At 6x I would hope for over 400 feet...420 would be better. At 12x something around 225 feet would be needed to continue to fall into at least the average range.

3. 8x is usually considered the best "all around" magnification for general use. 10x is still highly recommended for shorebirds/raptor watching though the lower magnifications...both 6x and 7x have really been coming on strong in a variety of models from different manufacturers over the last year or two.

I will stay 6x-8x. 10x is too much for me when birding in deep forest. But again, I rarely use binoculars while in the woods. Playing by ear is more important.

I would like to see a dual or change power application, say 7-8x on the low end and 12x on the high end. As I am beginning to see with my Leupold Switch Power 7/12, more than 32mm of objective is needed at 12x, so I'm with Frank for 42mm. I like the idea of an 8/12, because there is then enough image change to give some extra benefit from going up from 8x. Also 12x has some ability to be used without a tripod, but a decent tripod adapter should be a must.

Real variables have some baggage because they have been mostly pretty cheap. Minox makes a decent one, but the fov is an issue, because the view is way too narrow for most people to be happy.

I am not so sure the amount of focus travel is the issue so much, as long as it can be kept no slower than about 1.75 turns. I think the issue is If the focus movement has a good slick, finely tuned movement vs a slower harder to turn movement. There will be issues some people have with stiff focus in cold weather. So maybe some mechanism with some sort of natural lubricity between the components instead of relying solely on grease?

I think about 1 turn from close focus to infinity with over and under-run for hyperopes and myopes. But the usable range from 6 feet to infinity in 1 to 1.25 turn would be about right. Try out some binoculars to see what your team thinks. I think faster but not too fast is better.

The other consideration is how the focus rate is distributed over the rotation e.g. it shouldn't get excessively slow at close focus. Most passarine birding is done between 3m and 40m with the rest at infinity (bigger birds).

Another consideration is focuser tension in addition to focus rate. Both contribute to the perceived focus speed. Having a fast rate and high tension doesn't feel faster. A fast rate and low tension can feel fiddly and prone to overshoot. A slow rate or high tension can make it difficult to track birds. Finding the balance is critical: some sort of medium rate and medium tension. User testing for this is critical.

Zoom bins have a terrible reputation for weight, poor transmission and lack of FOV. To be interesting you would have to overcome those problems and I'm not sure you can do that with a zoom bin.

I'd be curious about a "switch power" 7x and 12x with good FOV and ED glass would be very interesting. Both Leica and Leupold have one in their collection. But you need a decent FOV at the low power.

8x is most common. Some (including me) like 7x. 10x is still popular with some.

Good thing about low power,is that you can keep the objectives moderately small in size(cheaper)and still be bright....7X is nice,but I would love a nice 7.5X for general birding..(and I am not even that interested in Large FOV ,if it comes with to much compromise in other image areas)..The 7x36 Swift eaglet focuses in one turn,from quite close to infinity +5,I like that,if precise fast Focus is my preference(also the Nikon LXL,)..
I would Not buy a Zoom binocular,I am not even using Zooms in scopes anymore..
What I would buy is a good 7x28 reverse Porro,Waterproof(ish even) and with Cutting Edge(and Glare) coatings,,,,,(..I just heard by the Way that the Elite 7x26 COULD be discontinued for good...)

I called by Kruger today on my past through Sisters heading down Hwy 97. They still do not have any Caldera in stock. The lady had no idea. I would have made the detour if they had any. ;) They are only about an hour and a half north of me, so I will keep checking.

Kruger Caldera - Where is it ?????

I called by Kruger today on my past through Sisters heading down Hwy 97. They still do not have any Caldera in stock. The lady had no idea. I would have made the detour if they had any. ;) They are only about an hour and a half north of me, so I will keep checking.

Hi Steve ... Just got off the web, I too was wondering when & where the new 8x42 caldera could be purchased. I could not find them offered any place. Anyone else out there have any info on when & where these could be purchased ?.....Thanks Gwen

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back