• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2011 List Going? (1 Viewer)

HI, Jeff,
Brenda and I are tentatively planning to make a trip to Texas sometime around February 9th. Probably begin our stay in San Antonio, be there a few days and then head down to "the valley". We always enjoy a trip down there!

Should be a good time to come down, Larry, because we've been having a lot of interesting birds show up this winter.

I assume you'll be checking out Mitchell Lake. Will you be passing through Uvalde on your way from San Antonio? Cook's Slough there always seems to have some good birds.

A bird I missed earlier:
113. Rusty Blackbird.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

A super-quick trip out at lunchtime added:
114. Canvasback
115. Inca Dove
116. Sharp-shinned Hawk

This year seems to be starting off even better than last year!

Jeff

Jeff, I will take a look at the sites you mentioned. Thanks!

Today's birds for my Missouri Year List:

77. Fox Sparrow, Bluff Woods Conservation Area, Halls, Missouri
78. Rusty Blackbird, Bluff Woods CA, Halls, Missouri

Jeff, I will take a look at the sites you mentioned. Thanks!

Much of Texas is suffering from an extended drought and so some usually good sites aren't very good at the moment. However, Mitchell Lake in San Antonio is as good as ever. It's only open on weekends but, if you want to visit on a weekday, you can call ahead and they'll normally open it for you.

Cook's Slough seems to always be good with e.g., all three Kingfishers, lots of Vermilion Flycatchers and Mexican Jays, some Audubon's Orioles, and both Ladder-backed and Golden-fronted Woodpeckers.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

53. Red-breasted Merganser
54. Common Grackle
55. American Coot
56. Canvasback
57. Lesser Scaup
58. Sharp-shinned Hawk
59. Double-crested Cormorant
60. Wild Turkey
61. White-winged Dove (local rarity)

Last edited:
Had to make a correction at Nr
23. Red-vented Bulbul (Bahrain) :D (instead of a Common Bulbul)

-----

27. Heuglin's Gull (Kuwait)

28. Cattle Egret (Kuwait)

A short (non-birding) trip to the Netherlands produced:

19 January: seen from the Paris - Amsterdam train

41. Pochard
42. Lesser Black-backed Gull
43. Common Gull
44. Tufted Duck

20 January: Vondel Park, Amsterdam

45. Ring-necked Parakeet
46. Jackdaw

21 January: Vondel Park, Amsterdam

47. Nuthatch

Last edited:
today from St Ives and Hayle:

108. Little Gull
109. Firecrest
110. Guillemot
111. Fulmar
112. Kittiwake
113. Razorbill
114. Sanderling
115. Pintail

A cold, snowy winter with frozen lakes and ponds means that birds are harder to find this year than in past years. Only one new bird today, so I'm up to 83.

83. Red-winged Blackbird

Dave

137. Red-cockaded Woodpecker-----January 11
138. Mute Swan--------------------January 12
139. Sharp-shinned Hawk-----------January 15

North Carolina 2011
109. Mute Swan-------------------January 12
110. Sharp-shinned Hawk----------January 15
111. Common Raven----------------January 16

A trip out tomorrow will hopefully add Cackling Goose as well as one or two others. Am hoping to be above 160 for North Carolina after a trip to the Outer Banks next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back