• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S Florida - the great Dowitcher question (1 Viewer)

merryslug

I really hate to ask, but here it is again. The Long-billed/Short-billed question.

to me these look short-billed, but this was taken on Lake Okeechobee and it's my understanding Long-billed are more common in freshwater. Plus I'm fairly sure the last flock I phtotgraphed there (last year) was Long-billed.

Maybe the flight photo will help?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/merryslug/Birds/IMG_6990.jpg?t=1297102089

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/merryslug/Birds/IMG_6997.jpg?t=1297102047

I won't comment on the photo's, as I think it's a no-win situation but I would suggest listening for calls in these flocks of birds.

Bigger flocks are very vocal and the high pitched, strident ''peeps'' and ''keeks'' of the LBDO are easy to pick out from the rather more mellow and rolling ''tu-du-du'' of the SBDO.

I use call whenever possible, far more reliable on birds in basic plumage.

I agree with James, the calls of these two species are the easiest way to tell them apart, especially in winter when the birds are quite drab. Like you said, Long-billeds are more inclined to be found in freshwater, and the shape of these birds backs up that tentative ID. There are some subtle differences in body shape between the two- Long-billeds appear chunkier and more "angled" overall in their body shape than do short-billeds. Thus, I would vote for long-billed based on habitat, location, and body shape, but could easily be wrong. Dowitchers can be frustratingly tricky...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back