• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adorama "Pro Optic" 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Just a thought, with so many Pro Optics binoculars being returned, what then happens to those returned bins? Would they be sent out as they are to some one else, or do they get sent back to China for repair?

Brown Pelican,

Sorry, I seriously doubt you yet have an A class Caldera. I do, and trying to categorize the view as washed out and colorless, is really... interesting ...to say the least ;). I have no quibble with people liking what they like, but your post is sort of curious, there appears to be no relationship between your Caldera and mine. I'd love to get my hands on your Caldera. I think the bigger issue is the seeming QC problem I see with the Caldera. Do you have any idea of the serial number on the first unit you had, and what is the serial # of the unit you have now? Don't need the whole thing, but the original run of Caldera was AB21xxxxx. The newer run is AB22xxxxx.

FrankD,

Maybe we ought to look into swapping some glass back and forth again. Keep an eye on your PM box.

Brown Pelican,

Sorry, I seriously doubt you yet have an A class Caldera. I do, and trying to categorize the view as washed out and colorless, is really... interesting ...to say the least ;). I have no quibble with people liking what they like, but your post is sort of curious, there appears to be no relationship between your Caldera and mine. I'd love to get my hands on your Caldera. I think the bigger issue is the seeming QC problem I see with the Caldera. Do you have any idea of the serial number on the first unit you had, and what is the serial # of the unit you have now? Don't need the whole thing, but the original run of Caldera was AB21xxxxx. The newer run is AB22xxxxx.

FrankD,

Maybe we ought to look into swapping some glass back and forth again. Keep an eye on your PM box.

Steve,
Here is what I said about the Caldera: "The colors seemed less vivid or saturated in the Kruger. Personally, I much preferred the warmer colors and easier view through the Pro Optics".

Now that's a personal preference. I liked the Pro Optics rendering of the color palette better than the Kruger's. I did not mean to imply that the Kruger was "washed out and colorless." What I should have said was that the Pro Optic came closer to my Nikon EDG in it's color rendition which I would characterize as "warm". The Kruger reminded me of the Zeiss Victory FLT with it's "cooler" color rendition. I indicated in my earlier post, partially quoted above, that this was a personal preference. Others may certainly see it differently.

Some of my other issues with the Caldera were also personal preference, such as the focus knob, eye cups, rubber armoring and ergonomics. I felt the Pro Optic design was superior in each of those areas.
Other issues like less depth of field and smaller sweet spot were there to see when the two bins were compared side by side. At least that's how it appeared to my eyes.

Unfortunately I didn't record either serial number and both Caldera's have been returned.

Tom

BP/Steve,

I can see where BP is coming from with the color saturation in terms of the Pro Optic (I have no experience with the Caldera at this point). This may be explained by the choice of mirror coating. The silver mirror coating always comes across to me as providing a slightly warm bias. That is the case with he Pro Optic. If the Caldera is using dielectric then it would explain the difference in color representations.

I noticed much the same thing when comparing the Zen ED with the Zen ED2.

bump for more experiences comparisons? Or has the dew left the lily on these?

Aside from the 1/8 - 1/4" play in the focus wheel, I am thrilled with mine. The optics are, to my eyes, fantastic.

I thoroughly enjoyed mine while I owned it. I sold mine to another birdforum member about a month or so ago. He has related that he enjoys it as much as any of his other bins.

I would love to order another one but Adorama has sold out of the 8x42s and probably will not restock them. :-(

I nabbed the 10x42's, not the 8x. For the price I suppose maybe I should have, however you can only use one at a time, right? RIGHT? RIGHT?! *

* note not-so-subtle cry for help...Help reinforce my logical side that I dont need another pair of binocs!!!

Last edited:
Price differences

I have only today come across this thread, so please excuse my late reply to a particular topic.

I have long noticed the often extreme price differences between US and European dealers. And this is by no means restricted to optics. I can only explain this with the relative lack of competition outside the US. Wholesalers or manufacturers seem to find it easier to pressure dealers to stick close to "suggested" retail prices. With suggested being closer to "enforced", it would seem. With regard to Switzerland, there are often cases of EU producers selling to Switzerland at higher prices only. To the point where major chain stores can't even get a product at the retail price across the border. That's cosmetics, not optics, but the situation seems to be the same in all the product categories.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back